John Hillerman

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ThomasSullivanMagnumIV
Captain

John Hillerman

#1 Post by ThomasSullivanMagnumIV »

For those of you who did not know this, I own a DVD with John Hillerman in it. It is a 1974 Mel Brooks movie called Blazing Saddles. He plays Howard Johnson in the movie. People should the movie. It's a hilarious movie.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#2 Post by rubber chicken »

Yeah, that's a good one. Did you read the John Hillerman sticky thread? Other good roles of his are mentioned there, you might want to check them out. :)

Waltstasz
Admiral

#3 Post by Waltstasz »

"Excuse me while I whip this out."

AAAAAAAAAA :shock:

:lol:
My darling, you look ravishing... A-heh, heh heh... A little champagne?

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

"Blazing Saddles" is Mel Brooks at his finest! It's so un-PC!

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#5 Post by eegorr »

SelleckLover wrote:"Blazing Saddles" is Mel Brooks at his finest! It's so un-PC!
The scene around the campfire is most memorable! :lol:

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Frodoleader »

What blew me away was seeing John Hillerman in The Last Picture Show!

Magnum92
Captain

#7 Post by Magnum92 »

I love near the end when they all yell BULLSHIT!!
Magnum: So far this case had cost me my right to the wine cellar, the last cash in my pocket, and nearly my life. If that clerk was lying to me, I was gonna come back down here and shove that Robin Masters paperback in his ear!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#8 Post by Doc Ibold »

I actually just saw "Blazing Saddles" the other day, and one thing I noticed was that the "Howard Johnson" character was significantly more bald (back of head) than the "Higgins" character.

NOTE: This was during an action scene, so ut may have been a stunt double, and due to my Magnum fascination, I was paying more attention to Mr. Hillerman than the rest of the cast.

Since BS was made in 1974, and Magnum didn't start until 1979, I wonder if Mr. Hillerman was wearing a haripiece the entire Magnum run?

(Not that it would have made any difference to the character whatsoever, but if it was a toupee, it was really convincing!)

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#9 Post by Shermy »

Doc Ibold wrote:I wonder if Mr. Hillerman was wearing a haripiece the entire Magnum run?
His hairline certainly appears less defined in the first season. ("The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club" springs to mind.)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#10 Post by IslandHopper »

I think I read somewhere that Larry Manetti said that JH did wear a hairpiece. I believe he indicated that when they were on the set of a particular talk show promoting MPI, he said he would tease JH and take his hairpiece. I think he also said that TS snapped at him to behave. This all may have been in Larry Manetti's book. I'll have to check. Whenever they do flashback scenes of Higgins on MPI you can see his hair is much fuller and covers his entire head, even the part of his forehead near his part that is usually bare. An example of this can be seen in "A Letter To A Duchess" (season 4) when Higgins remembers first meeting the Vivian (The Lady Wilkerson).
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#11 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

IslandHopper wrote:I think I read somewhere that Larry Manetti said that JH did wear a hairpiece. I believe he indicated that when they were on the set of a particular talk show promoting MPI, he said he would tease JH and take his hairpiece. I think he also said that TS snapped at him to behave. This all may have been in Larry Manetti's book. I'll have to check. Whenever they do flashback scenes of Higgins on MPI you can see his hair is much fuller and covers his entire head, even the part of his forehead near his part that is usually bare. An example of this can be seen in "A Letter To A Duchess" (season 4) when Higgins remembers first meeting the Vivian (The Lady Wilkerson).
We had a guy in our Lions Club who owned a wig, er, Hair Replacement System, shop.
He said Hillerman definitely had a toupee. He also mentioned Frank Sinatra, Tony Randall, Jack Klugman, Lorne Green, Steve Martin, Stacy Keach and John Wayne as having good toupees but
that Seinfeld's was as bad as John Boehner's.