John Hillerman passed away

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

tidal pool
Rear Admiral

Re: John Hillerman passed away

#16 Post by tidal pool »

Typically, I am not affected by the passing of most celebrities. This one is different. I have had a heavy heart since hearing this news.

RIP Mr. Hillerman. Thank you for all the happy memories.
TS or NO MOVIE!

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#17 Post by TSMIV »

RIP to the quintessential gentleman, both on and off the screen :higgins:

Rands
Rear Admiral

#18 Post by Rands »

It certainly was sad news to hear that John Hillerman has passed. I am in agreement with Conch's comments as to John Hillerman's performance as JQH. For me, the character of Higgins was an incredible dynamic that made the on screen chemistry of Magnum PI work. As I have opined before, Higgins was the substitute father for Magnum, and provided excellent advise for Magnum, TC, and Rick. Higgins encyclopedic knowledge of warfare, economics, espionage, and Hawaii's social status, were often key to Magnum's cases. An incredible character, with an incredible performance.

As to many here on Magnum Mania, concerning the passage of time, I quote Magnum himself: I'm not old, I'm just not young anymore".

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#19 Post by Little Garwood »

Our Man Tom remembers John Hillerman.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Tom Selleck Pays Tribute to 'Magnum P.I.' Co-Star: John Hillerman's Accent Even Fooled the Brits
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Reef monkey
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Reef monkey »

Wow, hadn't logged on here in a while, so this is the first I'm hearing of it. Didn't know he lived here in Houston, wonder if I ever passed him and didn't know it. Looked up in the county property tax records, and there is only one John Hillerman in their database, and on my side of town, not too far from me. Would fit, too, as it is a 4100 sq ft house on 18,000 sq ft lot, built in 1999 (year before he moved here), in a fairly exclusive neighborhood, market value 1.3 million, and it has an over 65 exemption on it.

1110 Bade St, Houston, TX 77055
My essay "In Country: Place and Historical Connection in Magnum PI", about the importance of the Honolulu/Vietnam connection in the show:
http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 850#p57850