High Road to China - DVR alert!

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

High Road to China - DVR alert!

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

SonyHD (DirecTV channel 568) - Sunday 11/20 @ 12:45 PM & Saturday 11/26 @ 6:10 PM
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

ConchRepublican

Re: High Road to China - DVR alert!

#2 Post by ConchRepublican »

I haven't seen it since it's original theatrical release.

It wasn't as bad as I remembered, but still not that good. Unfortunately pretty flat IMHO.
CoziTV Superfan spot

BWheelz54
Admiral

#3 Post by BWheelz54 »

I watched a bit ago by streaming it through Amazon. I was surprised a bit by how well I liked it. The movie does slow in the middle maybe a bit much. But I will say it was a very pretty movie, great views from the romantic biplanes. I did enjoy it. It's not going to rank up there with my top, top favorites, but I give it a thumbs-up.

I think people would be disappointed if they went into the movie thinking they were in for some kind of "Indiana Jones" experience. Just not that kind of film. I wonder if that expectation makes the slow middle of the film seem worse than it really is. I think it's a movie Mr. Selleck should feel very proud of. I hope he does.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by Little Garwood »

I saw the film first run in the theater and did not care for it at all, despite the 1930s adventure potential of the thing. Watching High Road to China (or, as Leonard Maltin referred to it, "The Low Road to Entertainment" :lol: ) is like watching the Selleck screaming scenes and screaming outtakes from S3's "Flashback" for two hours.

However, masochistically speaking, I wouldn't mind seeing the movie again!
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican

#5 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:I saw the film first run in the theater and did not care for it at all, despite the 1930s adventure potential of the thing. Watching High Road to China (or, as Leonard Maltin referred to it, "The Low Road to Entertainment" :lol: ) is like watching the Selleck screaming scenes and screaming outtakes from S3's "Flashback" for two hours.
That was EXACTLY how I remembered it having seen it the same way. Rewatching it eased the harshness of my memories.
CoziTV Superfan spot

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by Little Garwood »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:I saw the film first run in the theater and did not care for it at all, despite the 1930s adventure potential of the thing. Watching High Road to China (or, as Leonard Maltin referred to it, "The Low Road to Entertainment" :lol: ) is like watching the Selleck screaming scenes and screaming outtakes from S3's "Flashback" for two hours.
That was EXACTLY how I remembered it having seen it the same way. Rewatching it eased the harshness of my memories.
Weren't his planes named "Dorian" and "Lillian" or something? (No Zeus and Apollo jokes, please)

The movie can at least boast a music score by John Barry, so it would be worth seeing (hearing) it for that, and to see if Tom's performance isn't as grating as it seemed in that initial viewing.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

ConchRepublican

#7 Post by ConchRepublican »

Little Garwood wrote:
ConchRepublican wrote:
Weren't his planes named "Dorian" and "Lillian" or something? (No Zeus and Apollo jokes, please)

The movie can at least boast a music score by John Barry, so it would be worth seeing (hearing) it for that, and to see if Tom's performance isn't as grating as it seemed in that initial viewing.
Close! Dorothy and Lillian. As for grating, on the rewatch I found it was Bess Armstrong who to me was the annoying one.

Check out this review . . .
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/adventu ... ure-movies
CoziTV Superfan spot

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#8 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Great review. I really like High Road to China, but I agree with the reviewer about the ending. How the heck were they supposed to get out of China?? It needed some kind of denouement.

I agree with her about the punch throwing, too. I watched Raiders recently for the first time since the 90's and Indy does nothing but punch people endlessly. It seemed so boring.

There's also the simple fact that Tom looked fantastic as O'Malley, very Clark Gable-esque! :D