Carol Burnett

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

Carol Burnett

#1 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Honestly surprised Ceebs hasn't got her own thread yet, but I'm happy to contribute :)

Arriving with TS at the 1983 Oscars.

Screenshot from Ceebs' 1997 HGTV special. Judging from her hair, the photo's probably from the early- to mid-90s.

TS and CB also did a PSA for the U.S. Space Foundation back in the day :)

https://youtu.be/cGhOCW3pawo

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

Re: Carol Burnett

#2 Post by KingKC »

Neat pics chickinthemiddle. Carol B has always been iconic in my book. Her shows with Tim Conway, Harvey Korman and Vicki Lawrence were a riot. But her performance on her two Magnum shows were just amusing. Heck, even the name she was given, Susan Johnson, was pretty darn bland!

KingKC

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

KingKC wrote:Neat pics chickinthemiddle. Carol B has always been iconic in my book. Her shows with Tim Conway, Harvey Korman and Vicki Lawrence were a riot. But her performance on her two Magnum shows were just amusing. Heck, even the name she was given, Susan Johnson, was pretty darn bland! KingKC
Later I found out it was the name of Jill Eikenberry's character in Arthur, a woman who also expected to marry but got stiffed in the end! :lol:

As much as I enjoy the eps myself, I do think they should have done more too, although I don't know if that's just my love of Ceebs talking :P From what I could tell, since she was a neighbor of John Hillerman's in Hawaii, it was at least possible that the role was written for her *shrug* That said, any show that has the opportunity to have her on more than once is a lucky one :)

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

More Oscar pics :)

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#5 Post by marlboro »

I still think a Susan Johnson/Luther Gillis episode would have been comedy gold. Imagine "A Girl Named Sue" if CB had become a protege of Luther Gillis.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

marlboro wrote:I still think a Susan Johnson/Luther Gillis episode would have been comedy gold. Imagine "A Girl Named Sue" if CB had become a protege of Luther Gillis.
It would be fascinating to see how they'd play off each other, though I know for sure they'd make Magnum's head spin! :lol:

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by KingKC »

marlboro wrote:I still think a Susan Johnson/Luther Gillis episode would have been comedy gold. Imagine "A Girl Named Sue" if CB had become a protege of Luther Gillis.
WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!

KingKC

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#8 Post by Styles Bitchley »

KingKC wrote:
WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!

KingKC
Jesus, that IS a great idea!
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Styles Bitchley wrote:
KingKC wrote:
WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!
KingKC
Jesus, that IS a great idea!
I should note that the Rockford Files episode "Nice Guys Finish Dead" shares much in common not only with that idea, but with Magnum itself. The special guest at a P.I. convention is murdered (a senator, not Jean Claude Fornier :P ), and Rockford has to team up with Lance White (TS, natch) and Freddy Beamer (James Whitmore Jr. a.k.a. Billy Joe Bob a.k.a. "Nuzo"), both of whom worked cases with Rockford in two separate previous episodes. Another recurring P.I. character, Vern St. Cloud, appears with his nephew Larry (yes, Manetti), who turns out to have been the one who killed the senator.

(faints from exhaustion from drawing all the parallels)

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Hi Chickinthemiddle,
I am glad you started this thread as I too admire Carol Burnett. It's kind of odd but I think a case might be made that fairly often she was ill served when she guested on tv series.
For example the Twilight Zone episode was a total misfire. And the Magnum producers could have found her a better script, as after all she was probably the most beloved star on tv at the time.
But she was terrific on Gomer Pyle USMC, doing a distaff version of Sgt. Carter that was both funny and touching.
As noted before, Tom Selleck has said more than once she was the sexiest actress he ever worked with. Though his 2 wives, both of whom appeared on Magnum, might have an opinion about that.
Chick, in your profile I went to your site and noted your interest in helping animals.
I recall that Conch also had a similar interest.
I think that illustrates how nice the people here are. Magnum fans have heart.
I just adopted a shelter kitten that is a joy except for her insisting on sitting on top of my head and using my legs for a scratching post.

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

D'aww. ^-^ I have a Cairn Terrier mix who's nuts but lovable. :P

Yeah Ceebs' guest shots definitely vary significantly. Gomer's are great, as are any of her shots on Lucille Ball's shows, SVU, Mad About You, Hawaii Five-0, and others I'm probably missing. :P

If you're looking for an 80s Carol fix and if you haven't already seen it, before "A Girl Named Sue" she did the special Carol, Carl, Whoopi and Robin where easily the best skit in that is the "Funeral" one with Robin Williams. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfDyTUiL8xs :)

And trust me, Carol is as sweet and kind as everyone says. ^-^

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Hey thechickinthemiddle, there's a story on Carol in the May 14th issue of People magazine. If I had a copy I'd post it for you but I read it at the salon last week. I'm guessing there's nothing in it that you don't already know anyway! :lol: Just thought I'd let ya' know it's out there! :D

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Hey Rembrandt's Girl! :D I read it last week at work. She should've gotten the whole cover IMO. :P Thanks! :)

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:She should've gotten the whole cover IMO.
Haha, why am I not surprised :wink: :lol: