Just finished "Aloha Memories"

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Just finished "Aloha Memories"

#1 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I picked up Larry Mannetti's book "Aloha Memories" the other day and finished it the other night. I was rather surprised at how controversial Mannetti seemed to be during his run on Magnum. He was evicted from several places, got kicked out of bars, and even was attempting to cover up a death in his home. I don't think that the episode descriptions were always exactly reflective of the episodes, but the extra insights were great. Overall, I thought it was a really fun read. It was pretty interesting to learn more about the man behind Orville Wright.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: Just finished "Aloha Memories"

#2 Post by terryfromkerry »

Thanks for this post SignGuy ............ is this a new publication ? Does it contain any new anecdotes concerning the actors & crew ? :magnum: :higgins:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#3 Post by SignGuyHPW »

terryfromkerry wrote:Thanks for this post SignGuy ............ is this a new publication ? Does it contain any new anecdotes concerning the actors & crew ? :magnum: :higgins:
No, it was first released in 1999, but Larry Manetti still sells them on his website. Lots of anecdotes on most of the principle cast.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by terryfromkerry »

Hi again SignGuy

Are you sure of the title ? I was under the impression Larry Manetti's book was titled "ALOHA MAGNUM" which I read and enjoyed. I think we are talking about the same book. :magnum: :higgins: :)
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#5 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Yeah, it was the same one. I *may* have messed up the name.

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#6 Post by terryfromkerry »

Sorry SignGuy ............. I was not being pedantic ( a word JQH might use :higgins: ). I genuinely thought you had discovered a new MPI Manetti expose .......... I'm hopeful it will come about some day. :magnum: :)

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Milton Collins »

I'm purchasing this in a couple day's off of Larry Manetti's site as a birthday gift (for myself he he he) and can't wait to read it!!

eltonsean
Captain

#8 Post by eltonsean »

I loved reading Larry's "ALOHA MAGNUM". Fun book with lots of great insight into the show's run and life in Honolulu :)

I actually created the facebook page for the book so I could "Like" it 8)

https://www.facebook.com/AlohaMagnum
"Living well is the best revenge".

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by K Hale »

If you have Kindle Unlimited on Amazon Prime, "Aloha Magnum" is available for free to read on any Kindle or device with the Kindle app.

https://www.amazon.com/Aloha-Magnum-Lar ... dpSrc=srch
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#10 Post by 308GUY »

Have had this book, (Aloha Magnum), for several years now, and like watching the original show....find myself reading and re-reading it over and over.

Not a "great" book and not really what I'd have liked it to be in regards to sharing little "nuances" about the filming and living on the island...what all went on behind the scenes, during "off" time, etc....but I always enjoy it and am thankful to Larry Manetti for writing and publishing it, more so every time I finish it...again.... :lol:

My comment/question is for anybody else who's read and enjoyed it:

Have you tried any of Larry's recipe's that he was so gracious, (and insightful), to include?.....I have. :lol:

Just finished making the Italian Beef Stew, (again.. :D ), and like Roger E. Mosley and his wife...it has become one my and my wife's favorite dishes.

Fairly easy to make and always turns out great!

Anybody else mess around in the kitchen with Larry's help? :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by terryfromkerry »

My wife bought the book as a gift for me about 20 years ago. It was out of print at the time but my Ann found and bought a mint condition copy on ebay for about $150 at the time. It is still a valued golden reminder of MPI and the '80's , my favourite decade. I agree it could have been a better book concerning perhaps more revealing stories and insights regarding the making of MPI . However Manetti can really tell a story and the little anecdotes we got scattered through out the book are gems. I visit Spain ( Costa del Sol ) with my wife in May and September every year. Along with my collection of aloha shirts I always bring along "Aloha Magnum". I read snippets on the flights to and from and of course also on the beach. Its a light and breezy book which suits a sun holiday. I am not much of a cook but am recently retired so I must check out Larry's recipes again and maybe have a go. Thanks for the reminder 308GUY.

BTW. I came across the following radio show interview where Larry talks about TS, MPI and gives the book a plug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWmwzTWyq5c

Nifty911
Captain

#12 Post by Nifty911 »

I thought it was a good book. I found in on Amazon really cheap, and the copy I got was signed.

If you do some searching, there are a lot of videos on YouTube with all kinds of backstories.

Bellisario has a few out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BahdCx8KmFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVAeiEhATVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HsmOUMARVY