Roger e Mosley- was he a bodybuilder?

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

runawayselleck
Lieutenant Commander

Roger e Mosley- was he a bodybuilder?

#1 Post by runawayselleck »

He always looked massive-was he bench pressing Larry Manetti or something? He certainly looked big!

Runaway Selleck

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Roger e Mosley- was he a bodybuilder?

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

runawayselleck wrote:He always looked massive-was he bench pressing Larry Manetti or something? He certainly looked big!

Runaway Selleck
I don't know if he was professional, but he always looked like he was in phenomenal shape (Still is).

Sisophous
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Sisophous »

Looks like he spent hours each day in the weight room from the sight of those biceps. As for being in great shape, I doubt it, just look at his waistline, it is not that slim. He always seemed winded when he was in motion too.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#4 Post by Doc Ibold »

Sisophous wrote:Looks like he spent hours each day in the weight room from the sight of those biceps. As for being in great shape, I doubt it, just look at his waistline, it is not that slim. He always seemed winded when he was in motion too.
Differing body types, my friend. Not saying he was a track guy, but he looks like kept fit over the years. Not bad for pushing 80.

Macho Taco
Lieutenant

#5 Post by Macho Taco »

If memory serves me correctly, you can see Roger lifting weights in a scene from the 1979 film "The Jericho Mile."

Doc Fred
Admiral

#6 Post by Doc Fred »

Sisophous wrote:Looks like he spent hours each day in the weight room from the sight of those biceps. As for being in great shape, I doubt it, just look at his waistline, it is not that slim. He always seemed winded when he was in motion too.
I'd say he built for mass, not shape. His midsection looked very solid...
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Hawaii Winds
Admiral

#7 Post by Hawaii Winds »

Doc Fred wrote:
I'd say he built for mass, not shape. His midsection looked very solid...
I knw this much, I would want him on my side if I ever got in a bar brawl!

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#8 Post by Pahonu »

Macho Taco wrote:If memory serves me correctly, you can see Roger lifting weights in a scene from the 1979 film "The Jericho Mile."
Loved that movie with Peter Strauss!

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by Stelth »

Here's Roger on Sanford & Son in 1972:
I found some info on a S&S wiki:
Norman Blood was a new hire in the junkyard by Fred when he and Lamont had a falling out and dissolved Sanford and Son Salavge temporarily in the Season 2 episode of Sanford and Son titled "Blood Is Thicker Than Junk". The part of Norman was played by actor Roger E. Mosley, who would in later years go on to further success in film Leadbelly, where he appears in the title role as the late Delta blues singer, and a part in the ABC-TV miniseries Roots, and most notably, the role of Theodore "T.C." Calvin on the long-running CBS-TV series Magnum, P.I.

About Norman and the "Watchbear"Edit
After a nasty spat which causes the Sanford and Son partnership between Fred and Lamont to split up. Fred hires Norman to replace Lamont, who, on a referral from the state unemployment agency, begins work with a competing junk dealer who lives down the street from Fred and Lamont, Mr. Baxtrum, while still living in the Sanford home. However, when things doesn't go smoothly with Fred, who is left all day and evening wondering where the somewhat dim-witted, but brawny Norman, who, when asked by Fred if he "knows anything about trucks", boasts that he can :take an entire truck apart in minutes", returns after being gone all day. He later returns with a stuffed bear, which he called a "Watch Bear"! When Norman finally returns with the bear he bought, Fred threatens him, charging him "There you are with 200 lbs. of brawn, and an ounce of brain! Man, if you don't get me back my money you spent for that bear, I'm gonna take this crowbar (which he had in hand) and peel your head! "
Last edited by Stelth on Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#10 Post by ConchRepublican »

He looks a little bit different there. Less solid, although it could be the angle.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#11 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I don't think he was a bodybuilder really, but I suspect he was into power lifting. He seemed to be even bigger years later when he appeared on "Hanging With Mr. Cooper."