Glen A Larson passes away!

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

Re: Glen A Larson passes away!

#16 Post by Little Garwood »

The Television Chronicles article I submitted to Magnum-Mania discusses Larson's involvement.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by KENJI »

Little Garwood wrote:The Television Chronicles article I submitted to Magnum-Mania discusses Larson's involvement.
It was interesting to read that Sylvia Stoddard wrote a script for the final season that was never used called "Miles to Go" and she was working on a book about MPI. I wonder if she would let us take a look at that script. Anyone know anything about the book?

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#18 Post by KENJI »

Pahonu wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:That's right. Larson wrote the original Magnum P.I. script (which had Magnum as a stereotypical "macho man" type character working for the CIA). At Selleck's urging, Bellisario was brought in who reworked the script, combining elements from one of his scripts called "H.H. Flynn". Larson didn't do anything else with the show after that initial script. It was all Bellisario and Selleck. Still, he's a co-creator of the show.
It's coming back to me. Wasn't Larson's script originally called Cutter and set in Los Angeles? Or was that H.H. Flynn that was set there? Also, Larson wasn't even involved in filming the pilot? It was all Bellisario working from Larson's modified script? I wonder how much money Larson made as co-creator even though he only contributed the first script.
I'm sure he was well compensated.

Even though Mr. Larson was only part of the show at the very beginning, some of his ideas were used....The title Magnum, location- a private estate in Hawaii, an ex CIA agent....I'm assuming that was changed by Bellisario to NIA, but it was still close to Larson's idea, Robin Masters the novelist, Magnum living in the guest house - call that one a tie, both Bellisario and Larson had that in their original scripts. Glen had Magnum owning a Doberman, but Bellisario tweaked that one which I'm glad he did. I'm sure there were a few more of Larson's ideas that were used, but those ones are quite important to what we know and love about the show. I'm happy they didn't make the show more James Bond like so Bellisario gets credit for that one.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#19 Post by Pahonu »

KENJI wrote:
Pahonu wrote:
J.J. Walters wrote:That's right. Larson wrote the original Magnum P.I. script (which had Magnum as a stereotypical "macho man" type character working for the CIA). At Selleck's urging, Bellisario was brought in who reworked the script, combining elements from one of his scripts called "H.H. Flynn". Larson didn't do anything else with the show after that initial script. It was all Bellisario and Selleck. Still, he's a co-creator of the show.
It's coming back to me. Wasn't Larson's script originally called Cutter and set in Los Angeles? Or was that H.H. Flynn that was set there? Also, Larson wasn't even involved in filming the pilot? It was all Bellisario working from Larson's modified script? I wonder how much money Larson made as co-creator even though he only contributed the first script.
I'm sure he was well compensated.

Even though Mr. Larson was only part of the show at the very beginning, some of his ideas were used....The title Magnum, location- a private estate in Hawaii, an ex CIA agent....I'm assuming that was changed by Bellisario to NIA, but it was still close to Larson's idea, Robin Masters the novelist, Magnum living in the guest house - call that one a tie, both Bellisario and Larson had that in their original scripts. Glen had Magnum owning a Doberman, but Bellisario tweaked that one which I'm glad he did. I'm sure there were a few more of Larson's ideas that were used, but those ones are quite important to what we know and love about the show. I'm happy they didn't make the show more James Bond like so Bellisario gets credit for that one.
All very good points.

I was thinking about what Larson made versus Bellisario. Every episode they made gave Larson a slice of the pie...even though he did no actual work. Bellisario did huge amounts of creative and production work. I wonder how his "slice" compared. We'll probably never know. I can't imagine it's very common for someone to create a script, get a co-creator credit, and then go on to have nothing to do with the show. Maybe I'm wrong, but what a good gig, if you can get it. Intellectual property rights are fascinating. :magnum:

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#20 Post by Pahonu »

I just read the interesting interview with Bellisario from about 10 years ago. According to him, when he was brought aboard to rework the script, he was asked what they liked about it. The producers said they liked Selleck as a PI in Hawaii. That was it. His story, HH Flynn, had him as a Vietnam vet, the Ferrari, living in a guest house of a walled estate, a friend who flew helicopters, and one who owned a bar/club. There was no Higgins character. That was developed later. Granted this is his version, but it seems like Larson did much less than even I thought.

http://books.google.com/books?id=YgZQjJ ... nn&f=false

page 146

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#21 Post by J.J. Walters »

Saw this in a used book store recently. $50. No way I was paying that, but I took a picture. I have fond memories of watching the original on TV.

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

BWheelz54
Admiral

#22 Post by BWheelz54 »

That was one of my first books that helped me learn to read - a gift from my grandfather. Wow! Now, that cover brings back some memories.

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by KENJI »

Just added this video interview to another Larson thread.....thought it was relevant here too........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAFn2Sh-w7Y

KENJI
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by KENJI »

Here is another Glen A. Larson Hawaiian/detective creation.....

One West Waikiki

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108889/

First episode......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slBlMcDfXIc

It sure didn't have the longevity as MPI!!!