RIP - James Shigeta (Mr. Obatu)

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

RIP - James Shigeta (Mr. Obatu)

#1 Post by ConchRepublican »

Well, to everyone else he's better known as Mr. Tagaki from Die Hard but to us he's Mr. Obatu (Paper War) . . . and Richard Enoka (Forty Years from Sand Island) . . .

Rest in Peace Mr. Shigeta, thank you for your work.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/movie ... .html?_r=0

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =133498190
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: RIP - James Shigeta (Mr. Obatu)

#2 Post by Doc Ibold »

Amen to that.

My cousin told me that at trivia and I said...OH, He was Mr. Obatu in Paper War.

(Blank Stares all around)

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#3 Post by Little Garwood »

I mostly remember Shigeta from his lone appearance on the original Hawaii Five-0 and his brief role in the superb Robert Mitchum film, The Yakuza (1975). It's too bad he didn't have a recurring role on Five-0 because he was an excellent and subtle actor who made everything he was in all the better.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#4 Post by J.J. Walters »

RIP indeed. What a nice career he carved out for himself in film, theater, television and singing! 40-year career! In addition to his Magnum appearances, I'll always remember him from Die Hard.

"You want money? What kind of terrorists are you?"
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Little Garwood wrote:I mostly remember Shigeta from his lone appearance on the original Hawaii Five-0 and his brief role in the superb Robert Mitchum film, The Yakuza (1975). It's too bad he didn't have a recurring role on Five-0 because he was an excellent and subtle actor who made everything he was in all the better.
I have to agree with you about Shigeta making everything he appeared in better. He stole the episode
of Burke's Law he appeared in, "Who Killed the Paper Dragon" even though it was loaded with talent like Dan Duryea who appeared as Hopsing Kelly(a wink to the Cartwright's cook).
Burke's Law is well worth checking out, quality actors everywhere, very stylish and witty, such as star Gene Barry walking past a tombstone for Bat Masterson, a part he played in an earlier series. It only ran 3 years, don't bother with the awful 3rd year as they changed the title character from a LA police captain to a spy like James Bond, what a shame. The theme song is considered one of television's all time best.

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#6 Post by ConchRepublican »

Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
Little Garwood wrote:I mostly remember Shigeta from his lone appearance on the original Hawaii Five-0 and his brief role in the superb Robert Mitchum film, The Yakuza (1975). It's too bad he didn't have a recurring role on Five-0 because he was an excellent and subtle actor who made everything he was in all the better.
I have to agree with you about Shigeta making everything he appeared in better. He stole the episode
of Burke's Law he appeared in, "Who Killed the Paper Dragon" even though it was loaded with talent like Dan Duryea who appeared as Hopsing Kelly(a wink to the Cartwright's cook).
Burke's Law is well worth checking out, quality actors everywhere, very stylish and witty, such as star Gene Barry walking past a tombstone for Bat Masterson, a part he played in an earlier series. It only ran 3 years, don't bother with the awful 3rd year as they changed the title character from a LA police captain to a spy like James Bond, what a shame. The theme song is considered one of television's all time best.
I never heard of Burke's Law, will have to check it out.
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

ConchRepublican wrote:
Luther's nephew Dobie wrote:
I never heard of Burke's Law, will have to check it out.
Hi Conch,
Not to belabor the subject but check out this partial list of Burke's Law guest stars, not to mention the amazing number of beautiful Hollywood starlets, producer Spelling later making the eye candy not just secondary characters but the stars in his Charlie's Angels series:
June Allyson, Don Ameche, Mary Astor, Frankie Avalon, Ed Begley, William Bendix, Joan Blondell, Ann Blyth, Hoagy Carmichael, Rory Calhoun, John Cassavetes, Dick Clark, Jeanne Crain,Broderick Crawford, Arlene Dahl, Sammy Davis, Jr., Linda Darnell, Laraine Day, Yvonne DeCarlo, William Demarest,Andy Devine, Diana Dors, Joanne Dru, Dan Duryea, Barbara Eden, Nanette Fabray, Felicia Farr, Rhonda Fleming,Nina Foch, Anne Francis, Annette Funicello, Eva Gabor, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Gloria Grahame, Jane Greer, Gypsy Rose Lee, George Hamilton, Phil Harris, June Havoc, Celeste Holm, Rodolfo Hoyos, Jr., Tab Hunter, Betty Hutton, Martha Hyer, Carolyn Jones, Buster Keaton, Eartha Kitt, Frankie Laine, Fernando Lamas, Dorothy Lamour, Elsa Lanchester,Tina Louise, Ida Lupino, Paul Lynde, Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Maxwell, Virginia Mayo, Burgess Meredith, Una Merkel,Dina Merrill, Vera Miles, Sal Mineo, Ricardo Montalban, Elizabeth Montgomery, Agnes Moorehead, Rita Moreno,Sheree North, Janis Paige, Fess Parker, Suzy Parker, Bert Parks, Walter Pidgeon, Zasu Pitts, Juliet Prowse, Basil Rathbone, Edward Everett Horton, Aldo Ray, Martha Raye, Carl Reiner, Don Rickles, Ruth Roman, Cesar Romero,Mickey Rooney, Gena Rowlands, Janice Rule, Soupy Sales, Telly Savalas, William Shatner, Nancy Sinatra, Jan Sterling, Jill St. John, Gale Storm, Susan Strasberg, Gloria Swanson, Terry-Thomas, Mamie van Doren, James Whitmore, Michael Wilding, Chill Wills, Ed Wynn, Keenan Wynn.