The Donald P. Bellisario Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Donald P. Bellisario Thread

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

aka The Man ....
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

NCIS

#2 Post by SelleckLover »

When watching the opening credits for the CBS TV show NCIS, that is Executive Produced by Bellasario, I notice that a couple of people that were lowly production assistants on Magnum, are now full fledged Producers on that show. I really like the fast paced atmosphere of the show and the occasional reference to Magnum by one of the show's characters named Tony. In one episode, he is being questioned because he is a suspect in a crime, and they ask him where he was on a particular nite at 11 pm. He answers that he was watching a Magnum PI rerun and goes on to describe the plot of the episode he was watching. In another episode they are searching a crime scene and this same character opens a closet and finds only Hawaiian shirts hanging in it. He singles out a particular shirt and says "Ah, the red Hawaiian parrot shirt! The "holy grail" of Magnum PI fans everywhere!"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

You know, I've never really watched NCIS, or JAG for that matter. I always wanted to, but it just never worked out for me time wise. One of these days I'll catch an episode or two. There was supposed to be a Magnum P.I. lunch box in a JAG episode, or so I've heard. I've seen quite a few Quantum Leap episodes, however. Looooove, that show. Bellisario has said that he favors QL over MPI. Hmmmm.

I really like how Bellisario uses the same group of actors in most of his shows -- W.K. Stratton, Jeff MacKay, Marta DuBois, John Calvin, etc. I think that's pretty cool.

And then there is ..... Tales of the Golden Monkey! That show deserved a second season, at least. Great, great show.

SelleckLover

#4 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow! I thought I was the only person that remembered "Tales of the Golden Monkey"! A blast from the past for sure! Thanks for jogging my memory!

Baseball only lasts a summer, however long that summer lasts. ~Magnum to Mad Buck Gibson

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh yeah, Tales of the Gold Monkey (I said 'Golden' before, hehe) was just great -- South Pacific 1938, a Grumman Goose, Stephen Collins, Roddy McDowell, Jeff MacKay(!), Marta DuBois, killer cast. And Hillerman appeared in the pilot as an evil Nazi!

I saw every single episode when the show originally aired, but havn't seen it since. I would love to get this show on DVD.

SelleckLover

#6 Post by SelleckLover »

I'm impressed James! You remember a lot more than I do about that series....and I thought at first it was "Gold Monkey" but then I started doubting myself because my memory isn't what it used to be! I would like to have that on DVD as well.

Baseball only lasts a summer, however long that summer lasts. ~Magnum to Mad Buck Gibson.

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#7 Post by grapeshot »

I just read today that Donald Belisario is stepping down from his position as showrunner on NCIS. The speculation is that this is due to clashes between him and the series star Mark Harmon.

I hope this gives Mr. Belisario time to put together another project. I'm greedy for more good shows from him.

Edited to add:
Here's the LINK

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks for the update grapeshot. Looks like a bad situation there - "chaotic management style", last minute script faxing, lead actor ready to walk. Not good.

ThomasSullivanMagnumIV
Captain

#9 Post by ThomasSullivanMagnumIV »

Is Donald P. Bellisario the same guy who went on to create a show called Jag?

eegorr
Vice Admiral

#10 Post by eegorr »

ThomasSullivanMagnumIV wrote:Is Donald P. Bellisario the same guy who went on to create a show called Jag?
Bellisario is credited by IMDB as a writer (creator) on 190 of the episodes, and Larry Manetti appeared in three of them -- as a different character every time!

A quick review of the credits shows that Chas. Floyd Johnson appeared in four episodes as Dr. Bruce Gasden, and Jameson Parker appeared in another four episodes as Deputy Director Harrison Kershaw.

Also, several of the directors of JAG episodes directed Magnum episodes, as well.

So, I'd say the answer to your question is YES! :wink:

MagnumPI_Cat
Commander

Re: NCIS

#11 Post by MagnumPI_Cat »

SelleckLover wrote: and the occasional reference to Magnum by one of the show's characters named Tony. In one episode, he is being questioned because he is a suspect in a crime, and they ask him where he was on a particular nite at 11 pm. He answers that he was watching a Magnum PI rerun and goes on to describe the plot of the episode he was watching.
Ah, DiNozzo.

Was that episode the one where he said something about Home From The Sea? I was out of the room when he said that (telling my dad about DiNozzo).
Out of my way before I run you down and enjoy it! - Thomas Magnum, Tropical Madness, season 2.

SelleckLover

#12 Post by SelleckLover »

Sorry MagnumPI_Cat....I can't remember which Magnum episode DiNozzo was watching....guess we'll just have to wait until NCIS comes out on DVD!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by Frodoleader »

To be honest with you all, I simply hate NCIS, and all because of the DiNozo character.

What are everyone's favorite Bellisario shows (other than MPI, which is No.#1 on everyones list by default)?
One of my favs was Airwolf. Remember that one? Also liked Quantum Leap and JAG, at first, then got tired of the romantics couplings etc (on JAG, not QL).
But I really enjoyed the first seasons of Baa Baa Black Sheep (or Black Sheep Squadron). This show was actually a Stephen Cannell production but I believe Bellasario was a lead producer on it. Most of that cast wound up on MPI in one form or another.

Miss Q
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Miss Q »

Lets not leave out James Whitmore Jr who stared in a few failed pilots pre-MPI, stared in a few MPI espsodes and directed a few NCIS and Las Vegas episodes...

TS and JWjr have been working together since the late 70's....

Miss Q
Don't look at the dogs, work the lock

Kahunagirl
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by Kahunagirl »

I just got the Quantum Leap Season 1 DVD set and the last episode (there were only 8 in the first season, because it was a mid-year replacement) contained an out-of-the-blue reference to our favorite PI.

The Episode is "Play It Again, Seymour -- April 14, 1953" and Sam leaps into a PI who looks a lot like Humphrey Bogart. At about 30 minutes into the episode, he's sitting in a taxi with his girlfriend and a nerdy, annoying other guy and says to the girl "He's gonna find out sometime that he's not going to be like Sam Spade, Philip Marlowe, or Thomas Magnum" She says "Magnum?" And the scene just goes on from there, no explanation or anything.

It was so unexpected that it was absolutely great!

Now I've got to get the Season 2 set -- The 13th episode of that season takes place in 1981 and contains the footage of Magnum, playing on the TV in the family's living room!

Kahunagirl