The Donald P. Bellisario Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Operation Chessboard
Lieutenant Commander

#16 Post by Operation Chessboard »

I discovered Magnum, P.I. through watching Quantum Leap. Never watched JAG or NCIS. I loved Quantum Leap, though. Another one of my favorite shows. As I got older, though, I realized the show could get a little too preachy with it's liberal agenda. I recently bought the entire Quantum Leap series on DVD.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by MACattack »

Everything Bellisario has done is gold! MPI is number one, though.
Only exception is JAG. I watched one episode and was bored to tears.
I just don't give a damn!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#18 Post by SelleckLover »

To tell you the truth, I have to agree with MACattack regarding JAG...Zzzzzz...oops! I just fell asleep writing about it! :D

burny
Commander

#19 Post by burny »

fyi.....for those who are interested, Tales Of Gold Monkey is available on DVD now....a quick one click at amazon.

Lindsay Writer
Commander

Re: The Donald P. Bellisario Thread

#20 Post by Lindsay Writer »

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#21 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Don's ancestral home, Gamberale in Italy, paid homage to him earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B_OrFJh-hg

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#22 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Interview with Bellisario on the relationship between the military and Hollywood. Magnum PI is mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGJ69sYPIBo

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by terryfromkerry »

Nice find CdL, I enjoyed that interview very much. Thanks for posting. :magnum: :higgins:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

gilb
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#24 Post by gilb »

Donald Bellisario discusses working with Tom Selleck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-A5n-hTQRY

Lindsay Writer
Commander

#25 Post by Lindsay Writer »

Here are all the interviews Don did he talks about all his shows here

https://interviews.televisionacademy.co ... view-clips

ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan)
Fleet Admiral

#26 Post by ZelenskyTheValiant (Ivan) »

Lindsay Writer wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:20 pm Here are all the interviews Don did he talks about all his shows here

https://interviews.televisionacademy.co ... view-clips
I saw a few of the clips over the years where he talks about MPI and how the show came about. But I listened to the lengthy interviews above that you posted (during my work hours) where he talks more about his other shows and projects that he worked on. Anyway, he cites QUANTUM LEAP as his personal favorite of all his shows. It's a show that I've never actually seen. I know it's been on TV and I may have seen bits and pieces here and there but nothing ever compelled me to sit down and watch an episode. It just always seemed to me like one of those "completely out of left field" shows that I don't typically gravitate towards. Sci-fi, time travel, etc. has never really been my thing.

But I'm curious - any MPI fans here also QUANTUM LEAP fans? Bellisario seems to be really proud of that show. Because of how unique it was. I also didn't realize how critically well-received it seemed to be. It got Emmy nominations and wins every year it was on. Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell were both nominated every single year! Bellisario says the biggest crime was that Bakula never won and if anyone ever deserved to win an acting Emmy it was him! Because he had to play all these different characters from week to week, like in an anthology show. Anyone agree or disagree? Any fans here?

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#27 Post by Aloha Friday »

I can't say I was a fan like I was with MPI, but I thought it was a good show. I would watch it if it was on, but with Magnum, I didn't miss Thursday night. Quantum Leap was kind of sci-fi, but seemed like an original concept back in its day. I think they are re-booting that one as well.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

But I'm curious - any MPI fans here also QUANTUM LEAP fans?
I was hooked from the pilot (I was 12) and I never missed it back in the day. NBC constantly bounced it around the schedule so it was hard to "never miss." I still think it's a fun show, but it suffers from only having two regular characters (Bakula admits the insanely long hours led to his divorce). It can be really preachy on social justice stuff, but a lot of the episodes are just a lighthearted look at mid-century America because Sam can only leap within his own lifetime (roughly 1950 to late 1980s). I never even thought of it as sci-fi back then, but I guess it was. The science of the time travel isn't really discussed much more than a general description of string theory. It's sci-fi in the vein of Early Edition or Highway to Heaven.

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#29 Post by Aloha Friday »

I had to look up when it was on TV and was overseas in the military for a good percent of the run, so I guess that is why it did not stick with me. AFRTS (Armed Forces Radio and Television Service did not broadcast first run shows and there was only one channel.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#30 Post by Pahonu »

If I remember correctly it debuted my last year of high school and I watched several episodes but wasn’t a regular viewer. In college I had less time and saw even fewer episodes, but I always found them interesting and well done when I was able to catch one. I didn’t find it overly preachy as has been stated but it did delve into social issues. It was so unique in that way, by telling stories from the point of view of an incredibly wide range of characters and their experiences. I remember a few episodes still, about a rabbi, a hitman, an elderly black man, and a boy with Down’s Syndrome. That’s quite a range with just those few! I also remember that some episodes made it into news stories because of the uniqueness of the topic or the character Sam leaped into. I would try to see those if I could. Unfortunately I never saw the finale and even fewer episodes in the final season.