The John Hillerman Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: The John Hillerman Thread

#281 Post by marlboro »

I'm watching Higgy-Baby in Relentless (1977). He plays the leader of a band of ex Vietnam vets who pull off a bank robbery and are hunted down by the Chief from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It's not bad so far.

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#282 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

marlboro wrote:I'm watching Higgy-Baby in Relentless (1977). He plays the leader of a band of ex Vietnam vets who pull off a bank robbery and are hunted down by the Chief from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It's not bad so far.
Are you watching that on tv? What network? I've been dying to see that one. All I could find was the promo on YouTube.
I'm a Boxley Girl....

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#283 Post by marlboro »

Just something a friend of mine downloaded and sent to me. It looks like it was recorded off of television onto vhs.

It isn't bad, but it really isn't anything special. Hillerman doesn't get much of a chance to display his acting talent, I'm afraid, even though he is the movie's main bad guy.

p.s. Gimme some skin, Higgy!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#284 Post by J.J. Walters »

Caught part of an episode of The Love Boat the other day on MeTV and guess who was in it? That's right, John Hillerman! According to the IMDb it was from 1983, right in the middle of his Magnum run. He had the full on Higgy Baby accent working. I mean, dead on Higgins accent. If I didn't know better, it was Higgins taking a vacation on the Pacific Princess! But alas, he was some sort of inspector named Manfred Benusse. He solved the crime and got the girl in the end. Good for him! Claude Akins, Tony Dow and Didi Conn were in it. It was fun. Outside of Tales of the Gold Monkey and the Simon & Simon crossover, I believe this is the only TV show guest appearance he did during the Magnum run.

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#285 Post by Steve »

J.J. Walters wrote:Caught part of an episode of The Love Boat the other day on MeTV and guess who was in it? That's right, John Hillerman! According to the IMDb it was from 1983, right in the middle of his Magnum run. He had the full on Higgy Baby accent working. I mean, dead on Higgins accent. If I didn't know better, it was Higgins taking a vacation on the Pacific Princess! But alas, he was some sort of inspector named Manfred Benusse. He solved the crime and got the girl in the end. Good for him! Claude Akins, Tony Dow and Didi Conn were in it. It was fun. Outside of Tales of the Gold Monkey and the Simon & Simon crossover, I believe this is the only TV show guest appearance he did during the Magnum run.

Funny, I happened to watch A Very Brady Sequel yesterday(I know, but dog gone it that Christine Taylor that plays Marcia has a killer body) and even though it was the mid nineties Hillerman was still doing the Higgins accent and plugging macadamia nuts. Hope he is doing okay..........

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#286 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

A little while back I saw him in Paper Moon (1973) and What's Up Doc? (1972), with the former film definitely showing him significantly balding before Magnum. In the latter film as the hotel manager he actually does what Higgins failed to do and kicks out the young trouble-attracting guy. :lol:

Cinema Snob also has a review of At Long Last Love, though I was a little disappointed he didn't make any Magnum references but instead called him Howard Johnson. :lol: It's ironic how in that film he pretty much fulfills the role of, as Luther Gillis would put it, "the butler guy". (Well chauffeur technically, but yeah.)

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#287 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

What's Up Doc? gif because. :P

Source

Why Higgins never entered a room like this, I'll never know. :P

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#288 Post by MHTR »

J.J. Walters wrote:Caught part of an episode of The Love Boat the other day on MeTV and guess who was in it? That's right, John Hillerman! According to the IMDb it was from 1983, right in the middle of his Magnum run. He had the full on Higgy Baby accent working. I mean, dead on Higgins accent. If I didn't know better, it was Higgins taking a vacation on the Pacific Princess! But alas, he was some sort of inspector named Manfred Benusse. He solved the crime and got the girl in the end. Good for him! Claude Akins, Tony Dow and Didi Conn were in it. It was fun. Outside of Tales of the Gold Monkey and the Simon & Simon crossover, I believe this is the only TV show guest appearance he did during the Magnum run.

Who's that to the right of Mr. Hillerman? She kind of resembles Mrs. Cunningham from Happy Days. Could it possibly be her?

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#289 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

MHTR wrote:

Who's that to the right of Mr. Hillerman? She kind of resembles Mrs. Cunningham from Happy Days. Could it possibly be her?
Hi MHTR!

I think that's Allyn Ann McLerie...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0572885/?ref_=tt_cl_t12

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allyn_Ann_McLerie

MHTR
Vice Admiral

#290 Post by MHTR »

Rembrandt's Girl wrote:
I think that's Allyn Ann McLerie...
Thanks. She bears a striking resemblance to Marion Ross (especially in the later seasons of Happy Days). Anyone else see it, or is it just me?

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#291 Post by marlboro »

What are the odds that he didn't knock first?

cool gif, thanks for sharing

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#292 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

marlboro wrote:What are the odds that he didn't knock first?
Zilch. :lol: Of course, Ryan O'Neal had just inadvertently burned down the room the night before (why they didn't kick him out immediately after the fire is anyone's guess. :P)

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#293 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:What's Up Doc? gif because. :P

Source

Why Higgins never entered a room like this, I'll never know. :P
Love it! Nice work. :D
I'm a Boxley Girl....

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#294 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Oh I didn't make that gif (the source link's Tumblr did), but it's literally John's only scene in the movie and he's so memorable. :D

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#295 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Guess what day it is?

I'm a Boxley Girl....