The John Hillerman Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

Tidal Pool Lifeguard
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: The John Hillerman Thread

#321 Post by Tidal Pool Lifeguard »

RIP John Hillerman. This is a hard one. What a fine actor, and by all accounts, a fine man. He brought so many layers to his character on Magnum as we learned more about him every season. And that's the beautiful thing - Mr. Hillerman has sadly departed, but Higgy-baby will live forever on our screens and in our memories.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#322 Post by Kevster »

RIP, Mr. Hillerman.

You know, from what has been shared of JH's life these last years, he might just say that he's glad to be free. By all accounts, his mobility and quality of life had declined. I hope that he passed with that satisfied look of a man with no regrets and a life well lived. I have no way of knowing, but we do have SOME clues.

The perspective for all of us is the loss of a beloved actor and nexus for a fabulous character on one of our favorite shows. After all, if TS was the heartbeat of the show, JH was the soul... However, JH had walked away from the industry two decades ago. He decided that for his own reasons, and he showed a whole lot of class and character by doing that (IMO). That said, it also means that JH passing now doesn't really change anything for us, except that as fans we'll never have a chance at a REAL reunion in any way. It MAY say that JH was satisfied and at peace with his career, and valued that over scraping up newer and less poignant opportunities had he continued. The thought of that gives me some solace.

And so... Through love, admiration, and respect, we say good-bye. It isn't just to the beloved actor in a career-defining role, it's also a farewell to a HUGE piece of hope for a production future for that universe. Though a reunion movie can't happen (that ship sailed a decade+ ago, IMO), hopefully the rest of the cast will get to attend a reunion of sorts someday. Someplace that should make Robin's Nest in Hawaii look meager and uninspired.
Trust Me!!!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#323 Post by 308GUY »

Kevster wrote:RIP, Mr. Hillerman.

You know, from what has been shared of JH's life these last years, he might just say that he's glad to be free. By all accounts, his mobility and quality of life had declined. I hope that he passed with that satisfied look of a man with no regrets and a life well lived. I have no way of knowing, but we do have SOME clues.

The perspective for all of us is the loss of a beloved actor and nexus for a fabulous character on one of our favorite shows. After all, if TS was the heartbeat of the show, JH was the soul... However, JH had walked away from the industry two decades ago. He decided that for his own reasons, and he showed a whole lot of class and character by doing that (IMO). That said, it also means that JH passing now doesn't really change anything for us, except that as fans we'll never have a chance at a REAL reunion in any way. It MAY say that JH was satisfied and at peace with his career, and valued that over scraping up newer and less poignant opportunities had he continued. The thought of that gives me some solace.

And so... Through love, admiration, and respect, we say good-bye. It isn't just to the beloved actor in a career-defining role, it's also a farewell to a HUGE piece of hope for a production future for that universe. Though a reunion movie can't happen (that ship sailed a decade+ ago, IMO), hopefully the rest of the cast will get to attend a reunion of sorts someday. Someplace that should make Robin's Nest in Hawaii look meager and uninspired.

I've read each entry from all our dedicated members, trying to put into words how this "event" has impacted our lives and a little bit of what the man meant to each of us. Everyone has expressed very tender and heartfelt sentiments, and they are all moving and pretty great in my view...Kevster has summed up very succinctly my own perspective that I just don't seem to have the "finesse" to put into words. Thank you Kevster.

This does indeed preclude any possibility of an original cast reunion of any kind, (unless they do the CG bit), but I think we all sort of already knew that probability was unlikely more than 20 years ago, but we all,(well...at least myself and a few others), held out hope. Now that's gone too. :(

On a lighter note, going into the future, (as none of us can ever go back...not one iota or nanosecond), holding out what I have to believe is false hope, this almost makes one of the ideas FOR a reunion show more of a "reality". The way it was presented, JQH did "move on" in the Magnuverse and TM was called in to replace him as majordomo at the estate. JQH is given a proper send off in the opener and the new series unfolds from there. TC is founder/owner of Island Hoppers, the largest air charter service in HI, Rick owns a franchised chain of KK clubs and/or restaurants on the islands, or even nation or world wide, and Thomas tends to the estate and all of RM's affairs for his heirs, in addition to operating a private investigation firm, with himself at the helm. Just a thought. I know it's not going to happen, but it was one of the idea's rattling around in my own mind when mulling over a "reboot" of the show. :higgins:

I've said from the getgo, Higgin's was the driving force of the show. Even though TM does the voice overs throughout, it's as if JQH is telling the whole story. Just my perspective, and it doesn't actually fit all circumstances or all episodes, but as others have said, the show wouldn't have been what it was and still is without JQH and John Hillerman in that role. Ok, better sign off now....I believe I may be starting to "ramble".... :lol:

We are all saddened by Mr. Hillerman's passing, but to quote another "old salt" (Red Skelton to be specific... :) ) "Why take life so seriously....you're NOT going to make it out alive!" R.I.P. JH :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#324 Post by Kevster »

308GUY wrote:
Kevster wrote:RIP, Mr. Hillerman.

I've read each entry from all our dedicated members, trying to put into words how this "event" has impacted our lives and a little bit of what the man meant to each of us. Everyone has expressed very tender and heartfelt sentiments, and they are all moving and pretty great in my view...Kevster has summed up very succinctly my own perspective that I just don't seem to have the "finesse" to put into words. Thank you Kevster.

This does indeed preclude any possibility of an original cast reunion of any kind, (unless they do the CG bit), but I think we all sort of already knew that probability was unlikely more than 20 years ago, but we all,(well...at least myself and a few others), held out hope. Now that's gone too. :(

On a lighter note, going into the future, (as none of us can ever go back...not one iota or nanosecond), holding out what I have to believe is false hope, this almost makes one of the ideas FOR a reunion show more of a "reality". The way it was presented, JQH did "move on" in the Magnuverse and TM was called in to replace him as majordomo at the estate. JQH is given a proper send off in the opener and the new series unfolds from there. TC is founder/owner of Island Hoppers, the largest air charter service in HI, Rick owns a franchised chain of KK clubs and/or restaurants on the islands, or even nation or world wide, and Thomas tends to the estate and all of RM's affairs for his heirs, in addition to operating a private investigation firm, with himself at the helm. Just a thought. I know it's not going to happen, but it was one of the idea's rattling around in my own mind when mulling over a "reboot" of the show. :higgins:

I've said from the getgo, Higgin's was the driving force of the show. Even though TM does the voice overs throughout, it's as if JQH is telling the whole story. Just my perspective, and it doesn't actually fit all circumstances or all episodes, but as others have said, the show wouldn't have been what it was and still is without JQH and John Hillerman in that role. Ok, better sign off now....I believe I may be starting to "ramble".... :lol:

We are all saddened by Mr. Hillerman's passing, but to quote another "old salt" (Red Skelton to be specific... :) ) "Why take life so seriously....you're NOT going to make it out alive!" R.I.P. JH :magnum:
You're welcome. And, thank you for the compliment, 308 Guy.

;-)
Trust Me!!!

ThomasMagnum
Admiral

#325 Post by ThomasMagnum »

Thanks for the memories John.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#326 Post by Kevster »

I just went to look to see if there was a recent episode of Larry and Nancy's show, and there is. Dated 11/14. They start talking in earnest about JH in the second segment. The segment music lead-in starts about 5:55.

Here's the link: http://crntalk.com/larrymanetti/

I hope it's a good listen.

And... This forum just got a mention somewhere around the 40:00 mark.
Trust Me!!!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#327 Post by Steve »

Kevster wrote:I just went to look to see if there was a recent episode of Larry and Nancy's show, and there is. Dated 11/14. They start talking in earnest about JH in the second segment. The segment music lead-in starts about 5:55.

Here's the link: http://crntalk.com/larrymanetti/

I hope it's a good listen.

And... This forum just got a mention somewhere around the 40:00 mark.

Wow...........Thank you for posting that link, what a great listen and a couple of e-mail questions from folks in our group (Eagle and Steve from Alabama)...........I will be toasting JH this weekend with a Grey Goose and Sprite!

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#328 Post by eagle »

Steve wrote: Wow...........Thank you for posting that link, what a great listen and a couple of e-mail questions from folks in our group (Eagle and Steve from Alabama)...........I will be toasting JH this weekend with a Grey Goose and Sprite!
Cool! I was planning to listen, but now I will definitely listen!!

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#329 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I uploaded this Higgy-Baby tribute video a few years ago. With the passing of JH, I thought I'd post the link here in case anyone missed it. Not a watery-eye tribute. Its actually an upbeat dance tune. Enjoy (again). :wink:

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3157
I'm a Boxley Girl....

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#330 Post by eagle »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:I uploaded this Higgy-Baby tribute video a few years ago. With the passing of JH, I thought I'd post the link here in case anyone missed it. Not a watery-eye tribute. Its actually an upbeat dance tune. Enjoy (again). :wink:

http://magnum-mania.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3157
Unfortunately the link doesn't work. :(

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#331 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I'm a Boxley Girl....

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#332 Post by 308GUY »

Mrs. H....that's Magnumificent! Fantasmaghorical!

Thanks for posting and making it ready to watch.

Some of the best moments for our man Johnathon. A sobering reminder of just how integral he was/is to the show. I've said it before, but without JH in the role of JQH...there would have been no MPI.....or most certainly not the one we had/have.

The estate itself is almost in the same category, but in a much different manner.

He will be sorely missed, and in reality, has been for several decades, but previously, it was his choice, now there is none.

R.I.P. JH
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#333 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

"Tom Selleck Pays Tribute to Magnum P.I. Co-Star: John Hillerman's Accent Even Fooled the Brits"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t ... ts-1057950

Tuan Vu
Captain

#334 Post by Tuan Vu »

I am so disappointed that in the 30 or so years "Magnum, P.I." went off the air, there was never a reunion, and now there can never be a true reunion. I was especially disappointed when they rebooted "Hawaii Five-O" and they never got the "Magnum, P.I." cast together within the framework of that new show.

Both shows were/are set in Hawaii and have to deal with crime, so wouldn't Five-O and Magnum have have occasion to cross paths on the island?!?!? I never understood why this perfect set-up and one that would have garnered great ratings because of the fan base, never materialized.

Anyway, I thought of this scene where Magnum says goodbye, but it turns out in real life, it was the other way around, where Higgins (Hillerman) goes first. I wished at the very end of this scene, Magnum had said, "Bye, Higgins." Rest in peace, John Hillerman.

https://vimeo.com/243480851

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#335 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Just watched 10th season episode of Hawaii Five-0...A Stranger In his Grave. I couldn't stop giggling. :lol:

I'm a Boxley Girl....