Fleet Admiral

Re: The John Hillerman Thread

#331 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

I'm a Boxley Girl....

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#332 Post by 308GUY »

Mrs. H....that's Magnumificent! Fantasmaghorical!

Thanks for posting and making it ready to watch.

Some of the best moments for our man Johnathon. A sobering reminder of just how integral he was/is to the show. I've said it before, but without JH in the role of JQH...there would have been no MPI.....or most certainly not the one we had/have.

The estate itself is almost in the same category, but in a much different manner.

He will be sorely missed, and in reality, has been for several decades, but previously, it was his choice, now there is none.

R.I.P. JH
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#333 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

"Tom Selleck Pays Tribute to Magnum P.I. Co-Star: John Hillerman's Accent Even Fooled the Brits"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/t ... ts-1057950

Tuan Vu
Captain

#334 Post by Tuan Vu »

I am so disappointed that in the 30 or so years "Magnum, P.I." went off the air, there was never a reunion, and now there can never be a true reunion. I was especially disappointed when they rebooted "Hawaii Five-O" and they never got the "Magnum, P.I." cast together within the framework of that new show.

Both shows were/are set in Hawaii and have to deal with crime, so wouldn't Five-O and Magnum have have occasion to cross paths on the island?!?!? I never understood why this perfect set-up and one that would have garnered great ratings because of the fan base, never materialized.

Anyway, I thought of this scene where Magnum says goodbye, but it turns out in real life, it was the other way around, where Higgins (Hillerman) goes first. I wished at the very end of this scene, Magnum had said, "Bye, Higgins." Rest in peace, John Hillerman.

https://vimeo.com/243480851

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#335 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

Just watched 10th season episode of Hawaii Five-0...A Stranger In his Grave. I couldn't stop giggling. :lol:

I'm a Boxley Girl....

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#336 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

When he came back to Pahonu to film the pilot, John had to have thought, "Hey, this place looks familiar..." :lol:

Thank you for the much-needed laugh, Mrs. Higgins!

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#337 Post by Steve »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:Just watched 10th season episode of Hawaii Five-0...A Stranger In his Grave. I couldn't stop giggling. :lol:

Whom do I have to talk to about getting my damn Fresca!

rgholmes
Lieutenant Commander

#338 Post by rgholmes »

Steve wrote:
Mrs. Higgins wrote:Just watched 10th season episode of Hawaii Five-0...A Stranger In his Grave. I couldn't stop giggling. :lol:

Whom do I have to talk to about getting my damn Fresca!
After I read Ernest Borgnine's autobiography a few years ago, I thought John Hillerman would have had a lot of interesting stories to tell about his career. I always wished he had written a book.

A few weeks ago, after listening to Larry and Nancy Manetti tell stories about him on their show, I'm sure of it.
"Because it's HOW you make the transitions that's as important as making them."
-T.S. Magnum IV, "Transitions"

Mrs. Higgins
Fleet Admiral

#339 Post by Mrs. Higgins »

The annual TCM Remembers video is out. John is included with a very brief clip as the sheriff in "Paper Moon".
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=POMzD9r79Kg
I'm a Boxley Girl....

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#340 Post by 308GUY »

Very nice tribute to all included.

Lost a bunch of them this year. Wonder if it's an inordinate number..or about the average.

Everybody gets on the train sooner or later....you know....death and taxes...and all that.

Not sure why it seems "different" when it's somebody we're used to seeing on-screen, as opposed to somebody we're used to seeing at the grocery store...but it does.

R.I.P. all who've moved on.

Thanks for posting Mrs. H... TCM always does a fairly nice job of it, though sometimes they seem to leave some folks out, not sure who determines who's on "the list".
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#341 Post by Steve »

308GUY wrote:Very nice tribute to all included.

Lost a bunch of them this year. Wonder if it's an inordinate number..or about the average.

Everybody gets on the train sooner or later....you know....death and taxes...and all that..
I'm thinking that those like myself that are Boomers now in our sixties are just getting to that age and are starting to die more frequently. I really get a wake up when we lose those in music and entertainment that go before seventy and actually think to myself that those like a Mr. Hillerman that made it to their eighties had a pretty good life (of course it sounded as though he may have been fairly sick that last few)...As a side note, my 45 year High School reunion was this past summer, I haven't made one yet but at least was able to watch via facebook and YouTube.Most shocking was when they had a In Memoriam video of all of my classmates that have died over the years. The dog gone thing went on for almost twenty minutes!!!Now , we had over 1,200 in my class but come on!

pot79
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#342 Post by pot79 »

R. I. P. !

Sam
Fleet Admiral

#343 Post by Sam »

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#344 Post by Steve »

Sam wrote:Hillerman's home for sale

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1110 ... 5591_zpid/
Nice house.....I guess they keep Hillerman's name out of the advertising to keep the riff-raff away from the viewings....

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#345 Post by K Hale »

Mrs. Higgins wrote:
marlboro wrote:I'm watching Higgy-Baby in Relentless (1977). He plays the leader of a band of ex Vietnam vets who pull off a bank robbery and are hunted down by the Chief from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It's not bad so far.
Are you watching that on tv? What network? I've been dying to see that one. All I could find was the promo on YouTube.
marlboro wrote:Just something a friend of mine downloaded and sent to me. It looks like it was recorded off of television onto vhs.

It isn't bad, but it really isn't anything special. Hillerman doesn't get much of a chance to display his acting talent, I'm afraid, even though he is the movie's main bad guy.
I watched this last night and it was pretty good for what it was, a 1977 TV actioner. The entire thing is on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj3ohsK9U-4 The image quality is not good, but still worth watching. Totally predictable in that 1970s TV-movie way; you can guess how it's going to wind up from very early on. There is more action than acting to be done here; JH gamely rides a horse, robs a bank, shoots a rifle, evades pursuers, thrashes his way through waist deep snow, and (not to spoil it but as I said, you can see this coming a mile away) has a pretty good scene there at the end. He also gets to make a great speech about the rules of war while eating Cream of Wheat. I give it 3-1/2 stars, would watch again.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!