The Larry Manetti Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Larry Manetti Thread

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

aka Orville Wilbur "Rick" Wright III ....
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#2 Post by IslandHopper »

Hey James,

Larry Manetti has his own website you may want to check out. The webaddress is larrymanetti.com. He talks about his book, "Aloha Magnum" and has a photo gallery featuring photos from Magnum P.I., and Baa Baa Black Sheep. You can even email him from his site. I wrote him an email about his book, and he was nice enough to send me a response. It's a good site, take a look.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#3 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah, I actually have a link to his site (and his book) on the right column of most MM pages. ;)

It's a nice website, with some fun pictures. It's interesting to note that Larry Manetti is the only MPI main cast member to have his own website online.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

higgybaby1
Lieutenant Commander

#4 Post by higgybaby1 »

I have an autographed copy of Aloha Magnum and it ran me 150 bucks on amazon.....i guess im to much of a fanatic...great stories though
OH MY GAWD!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#5 Post by IslandHopper »

Higgybaby1:

I also purchased "Aloha Magnum" from the web, and when I received the book, there was an inscription complete with signature on the first page, purportedly from Larry Manetti to his Aunt. I was surprised to see this as I opened the book for the first time. When I purchased the book there was no indication that there was any type of inscription. I went to Larry Manetti's site (larrymanetti.com) and emailed him about the inscription and asked if he wanted the book for sentimental reasons. He emailed me back saying something to the effect that the inscription and signature were not authentic. This was okay with me, as I was happy to have a copy of the book. In addition, I got a pretty cool story out of it too. I can't remember exactly what I paid for my copy of the book, but I think it was between $40.00 & $60.00.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Jeffrey
Vice Admiral

#6 Post by Jeffrey »

Very nice guy.. i also send him al mail with some question. In two days i recived a respons from him, with every answer. Great he is doing that!
TM "Rick wasn't overly enthusiastic about my plan. He thought it had some holes in it, and he was afraid they would end up in him...
I told him that was ridiculous."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#7 Post by N1095A »

I sent him an email asking two obscure questions about a spacific episode. I told him that since it was nearly 30 years ago (1st season ep), I'd understand if he didn't remember. He wrote back "Hey Mike, You're right, I don't remember. Sorry Pal. -Larry". After I sent the email I was a little embarassed, I must to have seemed to him like an obsessed Trekie or something.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#8 Post by SelleckLover »

N1095A,

I don't think that you should be embarrassed. I'll bet Larry Manetti is thrilled that there are still fans and people that have interest in the show 25 years later! Also we're not, shall I say, as "dedicated" as Trekkies a la getting dressed up as our favorite character and actually going to "conventions". We're just content to go online once in a while (well for me, every day!) and share our thoughts, our unproduced scripts, and in golfmobile's case, her creativity. I prefer to think that we, as Magnum fans, are unique in that fact.
So, no worries....!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#9 Post by golfmobile »

I heard back from him last night. He didn't respond to anything specific about this site or the MGI site. This is what I got:
Thank you for the informative e-mail. I will up-date the site. It's people
like you that I
need!!

Your pal,

Larry
But at least he has been advised about this site, so maybe he'll check it out when he has time. I checked his site, to see if he added the information about his being on "Las Vegas" with TS, but I don't see anything there yet. However, in the "Appearances" section, it stated he was at a Hollywood Collectors Show this weekend (I assume this weekend, it didn't say the year). Nice of him to respond to an email while he's at a collectors' show, I guess -- must have a laptop!

Gee, I really hope he tells TS about this site.

I did respond to his email and asked if he had any stories to share about being on "Las Vegas" -- and asking if there were any chance John Hillerman might show up too. We'll see if he responds to that one, I guess.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

eeyore
Admiral

#10 Post by eeyore »

N1095A,
I also emailed Larry , a very lengthy email, asking questions about the construction of the stage set and the appearance of the actual guesthouse on the Anderson estate. He was very gracious in his reply which was something along the lines "you are asking me too much detail about something I can't remember" LOL
Never the less I appreciated his willingness to communicate! :)
I often wondered if Tom Selleck ever lurked on sites like this, but when I watched him on Dave Letterman? last week, he said he barely knows how to get on a computer and doesn't care for it much.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#11 Post by N1095A »

I really don't blame any of these guys for not remembering. It was 20 years ago the series ended. While fond of the show I'm sure, I'm guessing they didn't remember every little detail. I'm also sure they don't watch the DVDs over and over to catch things. It's nice that Larry corosponds with us.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#12 Post by golfmobile »

Did I tell you guys I also sent him another email and asked about the Hungarian acrobats? (He's probably getting tired of hearing from me!) He did respond but he said he wasn't aware of an inside joke about it and suggested maybe it was just the writers' inside joke and he didn't know what it was.

Frankly, I'm surprised he doesn't remember more about the show. I mean, it was rather the "heyday" of his career and he wrote a book about it! I remember a lot about my life during the 1980-88 time frame, and if anyone asked me details about that, I think I would remember. Granted, I may not remember EVERY DAY, but if someone asked me specifics, I think that would prompt my memory and it would come back to me. But then I have the memory of an elephant (my family teases me about stuff I remember from my childhood that no one else remembers!).

I just wonder if he is really the one answering the questions we email him. I mean, he may have a service doing that for him and he never really knows who is emailing him from his site. However, he HAS (or someone has) updated his site to mention the LV appearance, after I suggested this be done. (But he states "the cast of Magnum, P.I." which implies John Hillerman. Personally, I think he should have said "Thomas, Rick, and TC together again" instead of "the cast." Unless there WILL be a Hillerman cameo! I wish!!)

Enough of my whining for tonight . . . .

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Olivier
Rear Admiral

#13 Post by Olivier »

I just wonder if he is really the one answering the questions we email him. I mean, he may have a service doing that for him
I think too.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#14 Post by Doc Ibold »

I'll bet you that her IS the one answering the emails.

What we have to consider is that he was a guy doing a job back in the day.

I mean, I highly doubt if all the writers and the actors were chummy- chummy and hanging out all the time and saying "Hey Larry, guess what, we have this running theme about Hungarian acrobats that you need to hear about."

Plus, we are also Magnum "afficianados" and watch the series pretty regularly, so we can catch flubs, notice running gags, etc, etc. I'll bet you it's been YEARS since Mannetti, Mosely, Hillerman, or even TS has watched an episode of MPI.

So, Larry not being familiar with our questions isn't really out of the realm of the ordinary. As for the book issue, note that it wasn't written by Larry exclusively, but also had a co-author. So, Larry could have been reminiscing and his memories cold have been re-transcirbed by the author.

It also sounds like there was a bit of partying going on, so memories may be "foggy".

I think that it's actually cool that he HAS a website that we can communicate with him about the show, even if the memories are somewhat foggy.

grapeshot
Vice Admiral

#15 Post by grapeshot »

I was idly surfing through my channels this afternoon, when I happened to check out a movie description, and it listed Larry Manetti as a cast member. The movie, called "Back To You and Me", is playing this afternoon on the Hallmark channel. I double-checked the IMDB listing, and it definitely shows Mr. Manetti in the cast. (Link)

It's probably too late notice for most people here to catch it, and according to my DVR, it isn't going to be repeated within the next two weeks. I'll record it, and report back. I hope I can get some screen captures to post here.

(PS, it looks like a chick-flick kind of movie.)