The Roger E. Mosley Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Roger E. Mosley Thread

#101 Post by terryfromkerry »

LOL ! :lol:
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

Rembrandt's Girl
Fleet Admiral

#102 Post by Rembrandt's Girl »

Roger E. Mosley with a fan at "Collective Con" this weekend in Florida...

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#103 Post by J.J. Walters »

Awesome! He's lookin' good! Love the Da Nang cap! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#104 Post by nha trang »

Oh man, I wish I could have been in Florida,

Does anyone know a good mailing address to get Roger's signature? I sent one attempt out based on information found on google but I haven't received my SASE back and it's been months now.

Nha Trang

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#105 Post by Steve »

Wonder if he is going to have any involvement with the reboot. The man is still looking good....

Onehoof
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: T.C.’s Chopper Thread

#106 Post by Onehoof »

There were five different helicopters that depicted T. C.’s helicopter that I am aware of.

N58243
N1095A
N4943T

And possibly:
N9267F with FAKE N58428 registration.

——————————————
N58243 with the emergency floats on its skids, crashed during S1, then N1095A, replaced it.

N1095A was THE most used helicopter in the series, appearing in Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

In season 5, in a memory sequence T. C. is shown flying for another company, before he created Island Hoppers. The helicopter is a light blue and white, a Hughes 500C (369HS), with the registration of N9267F.
———————————————————-

Also. During filming of “Birds of a Feather” for filming aerial sequences, in California, of the bi-plane, N58428 May have been used as a camera ship.

Therefore; N58428 has the notation “film work, Magnum P. I.” in its logbook, which had been miscontrued by a lot of people over the years.
Last edited by Onehoof on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Onehoof
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#107 Post by Onehoof »

I have done extensive research on the helicopters used on Magnum P.I.

There were a total of five different helicopters that depicted T. C.’s helicopter:

N58243 - S1
N1095A - S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6
N4943T - S6, S7, S8

and possibly
N9267F (500C with fake registration as N58243)

N58243 crashed into the ocean, on November 19, 1980, during the filming of the 6th episode, killing the cameraman.

After this tragic crash, N1095A was brought in to replace N58243. N1095A ended up becoming THE most used 500D on the show, going into use after the 6th episode during Season One.

At one point, a 500C with the Y tail, was painted up, with N58243’s (the crashed 500D’s) registration number, after the crash. I have not been able to find this 500C’s real registration number yet. It is possible that it could have been N9267F, in temporary peel paint, until they got N1095A, as a permanent replacement.

N1095A was the most prolific helicopter used on the show, with a tenure that spanned S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, and part of S6.

Towards the end of S6, N4943T (with the white window vent, on the back door) took over and was used for S6, S7 and S8. N4943T was the only Island Hopper Helicopter that had its registration number, on the tail boom.
———————————————————————-
The Second Crash

One week after Magnum P.I. ended, on Friday, May 13, 1988, N4943T, crashed into a drainage ditch, because of a runaway trim motor.

Former Magnum pilot, Steve Kux was seriously injured. and would have drowned, if a man nicknamed, “Tiny”, hadn’t lifted the helicopter.

—————————————————————————
The N58428 Myth

There has been an erroneous myth going around that N58428 depicted T.C.’s Island Hopper Helicopter!

Apparently that myth has been propagated because people have misconstrued notations in its log book which says, “Mag PI film work” and “MPI equipment trans.”

It was owned by Jetcopters Incorporated, based at Van Nuys Airport, in California.

N58428 was too busy being used extensively in Hollywood, on virtually every t.v. show from the 1980’s (ie. Knight Rider, AIRWOLF, Streethawk, The A-Team, T.J. Hooker, Hardcastle and McCormick, The Fall Guy, Simon & Simon etc.)!

It most famously portrayed the bad guy helicopter flown by Malcom McDowell’s character in Columbia Pictures movie, Blue Thunder.

The Magnum P.I. episode, “Two Birds of a Feather” was mostly filmed in California, and N58428 was used as a camera ship, for that episode and possibly some others. Hence; “Mag PI film work and MPI equipment trans", in its logbook, indicating its use as a camera ship, that people have misconstrued.

But the bottom line is, N58428 never depicted T.C.’s helicopter with the famous orange, yellow and brown, bands. It was just used on Magnum as a camera helicopter and to haul equipment around.

If you don’t believe me, borrow the DVD’s from the library, and watch all 8 seasons, (fast forwarding) to the helicopter scenes, a majority of the time, you can clearly see the registration numbers when they show the various helicopters... and N58428 was never one of them.

It is unfortunate that people presumed, and assumed that N58428 depicted T. C.’s Helicopter, on Magnum just from the camera ship references in its logbooks.

People who owned it mistakenly told people, without doing any research, that it was used as T.C.’s helicopter when in reality it was NOT. It was just a camera helicopter and used to haul equipment around.

Furthermore they ignore its famous use on AIRWOLF and Blue Thunder, and dozens of other, stateside 80’s tv shows.

N58428 is a very famous Hollywood helicopter, but contrary to popular misconception, it was never used as T.C.’s helicopter.
———————————————————————-

Other research references that back up my research:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Nh6TD ... 0d&f=false

http://magnum-mania.com/Articles/The_Chopper.html
Last edited by Onehoof on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#108 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

Onehoof wrote:I have done extensive research on the helicopters used on Magnum P.I.
There were a total of five different helicopters that depicted T. C.’s helicopter:
N58243 - S1
N2958 - S2
N1095A - S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S6
N4943T - S6, S7, S8
and possibly
N9267F (500C with fake registration as N58243)
N58243 crashed into the ocean, on November 19, 1980, during the filming of the 6th episode, killing the cameraman.
After this tragic crash, N1095A was brought in to replace N58243. N1095A ended up becoming THE most used 500D on the show, going into use after the 6th episode during Season One.
At one point, a 500C with the Y tail, was painted up, with N58243’s (the crashed 500D’s) registration number, after the crash. I have not been able to find this 500C’s real registration number yet. It is possible that it could have been N9267F, in temporary peel paint, until they got N1095A, as a permanent replacement.
N1095A was the most prolific helicopter used on the show, with a tenure that spanned S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, and part of S6.
Towards the end of S6, N4943T (with the white window vent, on the back door) took over and was used for S6, S7 and S8. N4943T was the only Island Hopper Helicopter that had its registration number, on the tail boom.
———————————————————————-
The Second Crash
One week after Magnum P.I. ended, on Friday, May 13, 1988, N4943T, crashed into a drainage ditch, because of a runaway trim motor.
Former Magnum pilot, Steve Kux was seriously injured. and would have drowned, if a man nicknamed, “Tiny”, hadn’t lifted the helicopter.
—————————————————————————
The N58428 Myth
There has been an erroneous myth going around that N58428 depicted T.C.’s Island Hopper Helicopter!
Apparently that myth has been propagated because people have misconstrued notations in its log book which says, “Mag PI film work” and “MPI equipment trans.”
It was owned by Jetcopters Incorporated, based at Van Nuys Airport, in California.
N58428 was too busy being used extensively in Hollywood, on virtually every t.v. show from the 1980’s (ie. Knight Rider, AIRWOLF, Streethawk, The A-Team, T.J. Hooker, Hardcastle and McCormick, The Fall Guy, Simon & Simon etc.)!
It most famously portrayed the bad guy helicopter flown by Malcom McDowell’s character in Columbia Pictures movie, Blue Thunder.
The Magnum P.I. episode, “Two Birds of a Feather” was mostly filmed in California, and N58428 was used as a camera ship, for that episode and possibly some others. Hence; “Mag PI film work and MPI equipment trans", in its logbook, indicating its use as a camera ship, that people have misconstrued.
But the bottom line is, N58428 never depicted T.C.’s helicopter with the famous orange, yellow and brown, bands. It was just used on Magnum as a camera helicopter and to haul equipment around.
If you don’t believe me, borrow the DVD’s from the library, and watch all 8 seasons, (fast forwarding) to the helicopter scenes, a majority of the time, you can clearly see the registration numbers when they show the various helicopters... and N58428 was never one of them.
It is unfortunate that people presumed, and assumed that N58428 depicted T. C.’s Helicopter, on Magnum just from the camera ship references in its logbooks.
People who owned it mistakenly told people, without doing any research, that it was used as T.C.’s helicopter when in reality it was NOT. It was just a camera helicopter and used to haul equipment around.
Furthermore they ignore its famous use on AIRWOLF and Blue Thunder, and dozens of other, stateside 80’s tv shows.
N58428 is a very famous Hollywood helicopter, but contrary to popular misconception, it was never used as T.C.’s helicopter.
———————————————————————-
Other research references that back up my research:
https://books.google.com/books?id=Nh6TD ... 0d&f=false

http://magnum-mania.com/Articles/The_Chopper.html
Hi Onehoof,
Thank you for all the research, most impressive. Do you have anything about coptors from other shows as well? I recall on Highway Patrol
the actual pilot of the faux State Police helicopter, who sometimes got a few lines to say to Broderick Crawford, crashed and died during filming.
I read on another Board that some cretinous crew member was peddling, on the side, close up footage of the pilot as the copter went down.
'Crawfish' Crawford heard about it and that same midnight visited him, 'talking' the man into turning over the footage.
The Crawfish was one tough SOB.

"A few lashings of ginger beer, stout fellow, and be quick about it"...Biggles

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#109 Post by Laohu »

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#110 Post by 80s Big Hair »

Mosley playing the loan shark Electric Larry in "The Rockford Files."

Laohu
Fleet Admiral

#111 Post by Laohu »

Imageimage uploader

Is it known if Roger ever married Toni Laudermick ?

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#112 Post by Little Garwood »

Look fast for a graying-haired Roger in two scenes from the theatrical trailer for Hit Man (1972):

youtu.be/2UIxegXqfwM
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

RIP Roger E. Mosley

#113 Post by N1095A »

Farewell T.C. Rest in peace.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

JungleBird
Commander

#114 Post by JungleBird »

Last edited by JungleBird on Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#115 Post by Kevster »

Another piece of my favorite show is gone.

RIP Roger...
Trust Me!!!