The Roger E. Mosley Thread

For discussions about the cast & crew, including guest stars

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#61 Post by rubber chicken »

Indeed, Roger E. is going to be peeved when he sees how we've been talking all over his thread! :wink:

I've seen Ride the High Country but don't remember Warren Oates' part now, he might have been a young cowhand type? Have you seen In the Heat of the Night? (It's one of my all time favorites, if that matters.) He has a great part as a police officer. His interaction with greasy spoon cook is priceless. Here's a video that shows a just a bit of that, but also more of his character.

I've been meaning to see Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia for years now. I guess I was waiting for my library to get it, but now I've added it to netflix. Whenever I hear that title it reminds me of the scene in Fletch where Fletch is posing as a doctor (Dr. Rosenrosen, lol).

Nurse: Can I get you something?
Fletch: Yeah, do you have the Beatles' White Album? Never mind, just get me a glass of hot fat. And bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia.

The Movie Murderer looks good, I'd enjoy seeing an old tv movie like that. Noticed Elisha Cook Jr. also had a part in it.

Thought about making a new thread for this post, but it might be awkward to start in mid-conversation. :)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#62 Post by J.J. Walters »

Havn't seen In The Heat of the Night in long, long time. It's one of the all-time greats, that's for sure!

Love the Fletch quote! Another great movie! :)

... and now back to our regularly scheduled programming, starring Roger E. Mosley...
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by lutherhgillis »

This clip is from the red carpet at the TV Land awards show. Roger is very gracious and very animated. I get the feeling he has a great sense of humor.

Also, he mentions that MPI spawned a bevy of copycat shows in the 80s...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBPOTMzoNRM

Still cool at 70! :D
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by lutherhgillis »

Another clip of Roger with some friends at an event honoring Bill Cosby. Bob Minor is also featured. Much talk is given about black people in acting and the value of the stuntman to acting. This is a good clip (except for some slobbering over Barack Obama IMHO).

Rock On TC and Bob!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35MKFrPr6QQ
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#65 Post by J.J. Walters »

DVR Alert!

The 1976 dramatic comedy Stay Hungry is airing on TMC 8/11 (6:00 AM) and 8/15 (10:30 AM). Roger E. has a small role in it.

This is Arnold Schwarzenegger's first real movie. Also in it are Jeff Bridges, Sally Field, Robert Englund, Woodrow Parfrey, Scatman Crothers, and Ed Begley, Jr. Wow, that's some cast!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#66 Post by rubber chicken »

Cool, now more people can see it if they like. :)

The movie was talked about rather in depth in the first and second pages of this Roger E. Mosley thread. (Some spoilers are revealed there.)

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#67 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

James, Thanks for the heads up!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#68 Post by MACattack »

I'm glad Roger was in STAY HUNGRY. It's still one of the worst movies I've ever seen, though!!! Good thing Mosley and Schwarzenegger's careers took off later on.

Hey, even Selleck's first acting gigs were downright awful. The 80's was a time for stars to shine. Brad Pitt was still a nobody back then.
I just don't give a damn!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#69 Post by AmandaByNight »

I have a few things to say about Roger Mosley:

I didn't anyone mention Terminal Island which he stars in with Tom Selleck. It might be another thread, but there are so many that searching them was a little difficult, so my apologies if it's been mentioned. He's really good in it and it's a very fun film. Tom Selleck's character is kind of hilarious - he's a drug addicted doctor or something of that nature.

Also, Roger made a crazy movie called Darktown Strutters. Speaking of TCM, they played it recently. I haven't seen it in years, but it's something else!

I used to work at the Directors Guild of America and every year we have member meetings and the staff has to stay late to check in the members. One year I got saddled next to the M's and he came in late to get checked in. The girl sitting next to me got to talk to him for about two seconds and I just stood there with my jaw dropped. I remember he was wearing a basecall cap that said something to the effect of "I love black people" and my co-worker said, "I love you hat," and he said, "So do I!" Oh man, it was the greatest moment, I was SO close (and yet, so far!)...

He's also on Facebook and added me as a friend. I haven't really posted anything to him, I just like reading his updates, which are sporadic but fun.

Roger E. Mosley is a wonderful actor. I loved the TC-centric episodes because you really got a chance to see the depth of his talents. Paradise Blues with Leslie Uggams is my favorite I think because he's absolutely wonderful and the ending is amazing!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#70 Post by SelleckLover »

MACattack said:
Hey, even Selleck's first acting gigs were downright awful.
Ever see Concrete Cowboys? 'Nuff said!

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#71 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Amanda, thanks for the cool story on Roger! I can't believe he is on Facebook. I know there are a few Magnum pages on Facebook, but nothing as great as this site.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#72 Post by AmandaByNight »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Amanda, thanks for the cool story on Roger! I can't believe he is on Facebook. I know there are a few Magnum pages on Facebook, but nothing as great as this site.
I agree! I'm new here, but am loving all the threads and the main page with all kinds of info.

I have loved this show for as long as I can remember and it's so great to see so many other fans (and you guys KNOW EVERYTHING!)...

Working at the DGA was really neat sometimes. I got to see people like Mosley and even Robert Culp. Only a couple of the members even knew who I was, but most of them were very nice and I enjoyed helping them. Seeing Roger Mosley was one of the greatest moments I had there -- and I stood next to Clint Eastwood once!

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#73 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Found this interview on Roger's facebook page.

It's with the CBC's Rick Forchuck from 1985.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

Roger in "Unlawful Entry"

#74 Post by N1095A »

Saw it on TV last night. He looked just like he did in MPI except for the 'stache.
Even dressed like TC at one point, but he was killed by Ray Liota about half way through the movie. Ont thing that struck me was how huge his upper body was back then. He must have worked out every day.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#75 Post by N1095A »

"But Higgins, I can explain."