6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 94

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#31 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I agree with you on this Seaver, and it does bring that point across rather strongly.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MACattack »

He did look pretty bad though.
I just don't give a damn!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Shermy wrote:... what you can fault is the writing .... the avenging brother subplot seems to come out of nowhere.
True -- it's plausible, but stretching things a little thin. At least they didn't make him an identical twin brother!

Doc Ibold wrote:... TC seems to show up from NOWHERE in Pleasure Principle too.
They explained that one, though -- TC was actually tailing Magnum, because he was worried that he hadn't yet made a full recovery.

J.J. Walters wrote:... I clearly hear Carol and Rick say "Bonnick", not "Bonig". Hopefully we can put that issue to bed, as well.
Call me a trouble-maker, but I believe that if "Bonig" was a German name, pronounced in German fashion, it would sound more like either "Bonnick" or "Bonnish" to an English-speaker. And maybe "Banig" would sound even more like "Bonnick." But I have no idea whether any of those are actually German names.

Along the same lines, it seems possible that "Selleck" is an Anglicization or Americanization of "Selig," which is German for "Happy" -- what a great name to have! Does anyone happen to know what TS's ancestry is?
Carol

Carmen
MPI

#34 Post by Carmen »

I believe that if "Bonig" was a German name, pronounced in German fashion, it would sound more like either "Bonnick" or "Bonnish" to an English-speaker. And maybe "Banig" would sound even more like "Bonnick."
You`re right on that Carol (notice: I did quote you just with "I believe..." and not with the words you started your sentence :wink: )
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Thanks for confirming that, Carmen. Do you happen to know whether anyone in Germany is actually named either Bonig or Banig? (For example, does either name appear in your phone book?)

Here in the United States, WhitePages.com lists 17 Bonigs (mostly in Maryland) and 42 Banigs (mostly in Ohio, including two James Banigs) but of course it does not say whether those are German names, or how they're pronounced. (I do realize that there are people from all over the world living in Germany as well, but I would assume that -- unlike here -- the great majority of surnames there would be German.)
Carol

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

IslandHopper wrote:
James J. Walters wrote:Maggie answers a phone with, "Commander Poole". Her badge clearly says 'Lieutenant Commander'. Is it acceptable for LCDR's to address themselves as "Commander"?
In my experience it is okay to do this. I was in the army and Lt. Colonel's are often referred to as Colonel [etc.]. .... [But] there was a scene ... where Maggie referred to herself as Commander and Buck sternly corrected her and said "Lt. Commander." It may have been [in] Did You See The Sunrise, but can't remember for sure.
Thanks for the voice of experience, IH.

There's a scene later this season, in "Unfinished Business," where Buck actually addresses Maggie as "Commander Poole." I suspect that when he "corrected" her for referring to herself that way, he was merely "putting her in her place" for whatever else had happened in that episode.
Carol

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#37 Post by J.J. Walters »

The Al Kaline 1954 rookie baseball card that Rick gives Magnum appears to be the real thing (the artwork is the same as the real card at least). It's little details like this that make the show extra special. :)

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#38 Post by AmandaByNight »

J.J. Walters wrote:The Al Kaline 1954 rookie baseball card that Rick gives Magnum appears to be the real thing (the artwork is the same as the real card at least). It's little details like this that make the show extra special. :)

I love Rick! :)

Suzie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#39 Post by Suzie »

Hey There... did anyone notice the link between this episode, how Higgins was reading to Magnum about a man in a coma and waking up asking for "pint of stout", and in Jesse Stone Sea Change, Jesse is reading to Luther "Suitcase" Simpson while he is in a coma about a man in Melbourne Australia waking up from a coma and asking for a cappuccino? When Suitcase wakes up, like Magnum asking for a stout, he asks for a cappuccino!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Nice catch, Suzie! That could have been a coincidence, I suppose, but it does sound suspiciously like an in-joke. I wonder whether TS suggested it, or if maybe the two episodes were written by the same person?

Anyhow, welcome to the forum! We'll be looking forward to more posts from you!
Carol

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#41 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Suzie wrote:... did anyone notice the link between this episode, how Higgins was reading to Magnum about a man in a coma and waking up asking for "pint of stout", and in Jesse Stone Sea Change, Jesse is reading to Luther "Suitcase" Simpson while he is in a coma about a man in Melbourne Australia waking up from a coma and asking for a cappuccino? When Suitcase wakes up, like Magnum asking for a stout, he asks for a cappuccino!
Carol the Dabbler wrote:I wonder ... if maybe the two episodes were written by the same person?
Hmm, nope. Different writers, different directors. Does anyone happen to know whether the cappuccino bit was in the Jesse Stone novel?

I don't offhand see any copyright date for the book, but it apparently came out in 2006, so at least we can say that the novel could not have inspired the "pint of stout" bit in Infinity & Jelly Donuts!
Carol

Suzie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#42 Post by Suzie »

Hey Carol, TS was the exec producer on this episode as well as Sea Change. :D
Thanks for the official welcome!

Suzie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#43 Post by Suzie »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:
Suzie wrote:... did anyone notice the link between this episode, how Higgins was reading to Magnum about a man in a coma and waking up asking for "pint of stout", and in Jesse Stone Sea Change, Jesse is reading to Luther "Suitcase" Simpson while he is in a coma about a man in Melbourne Australia waking up from a coma and asking for a cappuccino? When Suitcase wakes up, like Magnum asking for a stout, he asks for a cappuccino!
Carol the Dabbler wrote:I wonder ... if maybe the two episodes were written by the same person?
Hmm, nope. Different writers, different directors. Does anyone happen to know whether the cappuccino bit was in the Jesse Stone novel?

I don't offhand see any copyright date for the book, but it apparently came out in 2006, so at least we can say that the novel could not have inspired the "pint of stout" bit in Infinity & Jelly Donuts!
It would be interesting to know if it was in the Jesse Stone novel or if it was ad libbed, and maybe a crossover from Infinity & Jelly Donuts.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Suzie wrote:... TS was the exec producer on this episode as well as Sea Change....
My understanding is that the Executive Producer of a television series deals mostly with the overall aspects of the show, and generally has very little to do with the details.

However, I would suspect that also being the Executive Producer would give an actor a little extra clout on the set! So if TS wanted to introduce a line of dialog, he could -- which is not to say that he did.
Carol

JT
Captain

#45 Post by JT »

Just finished watching this episode again. A very good episode. I liked the fact that Carol reads about a woman in Holland who gets out of a coma and claims to be abducted by aliens. Wonder if that’s a true story. Anyway, nice to hear that Holland is mentioned in Magnum.