No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
2%

Total votes: 94

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts (8.1)

#51 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Great episode overall. It was well done to bring the show back for an unexpected season. I recall there being commercials hyping the season where Higgins, Rick, and TC were having a seance. It was CBS having fun trying to make people wonder how they'd get out of having killed off Magnum.

The one thing that really bothered me about this was that they never explained Little Saigon. Higgins, Rick, and Magnum's mother went there and were then forgotten apparently. There wasn't any further explanation. I also wonder why Ki just didn't kill Magnum in the hospital when he had the chance. It's like he specifically wanted it to happen in that warehouse for some odd reason.

One of the most emotional scenes of the whole series to me was when Magnum flat lined and Higgins suddenly thought that he was responsible for the death. Couple that with how he bounded to the waiting room with the news that Magnum had come out of the coma only to compose himself and be British about it and you have one of the most classic sequences in the show. I was never, ever a fan of the Higgins is Robin Masters thing so I liked how it was touched upon and dropped. Magnum knowing things that happened when he was "gone" and proving it was pretty funny too. The expressions people gave were great. The fight in the warehouse was really good, but I was forced to keep wondering what happened to the gun. I kept thinking one or the other would pick it up at some point. I also enjoyed how they set up the next episode with the guys not having dealt well with Magnum's near death.

Fr. Paddy McGuinness
Admiral

#52 Post by Fr. Paddy McGuinness »

If you watch all the Jesse Stone movies you'll find a lot of little nods to Magnum P.I. Jesse Stone also wears a Rolex GMT "pepsi" model. It's probably the same watch.
Faith and Begorrah!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#53 Post by Milton Collins »

I tend to avoid this two parter because it signifies the beginning of the end of the final season and that depresses me. With that being said, Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts is a really solid episode. This is actually a very emotional episode and I find myself getting all upset about Magnum on his deathbead along with all the other characters. Some things that stood out to me:

-The highlight reel of memories as he's walking in the clouds is literally almost tear jerking! I know this is a fictional TV show but as we all love the characters (especially TM) this seriously is a very very emotional scene. His dad, Michelle, all his friends, wow! They really did a fantastic job of making this near death experience a realistic one! I also love Higgins calling him back, kindve cracks me up that Higgy baby still had some control over Magnum when he's halfway in his grave lol!

- Is it just me or is Rick a better friend in this one than TC? I realize that TC is trying to reconnect with family but he just seems disinterested where Rick pretty much rearranged his life to be around Thomas as I would think a genuine really good friend would do. I guess though at the end TC does come through with flying colors by saving TM from murdering Quang Ki. I can't help but think that it might have been better if he had though as it would have avoided the death of Michelle. But Magnum is not a cold blooded murderer so I get it.

- Magnum's wake up is one of the best scenes in the series! "I'd like a pint of stout!" This absolutely kills me as Higgins had just put that in his subconsious with one of his ridiculous stories. I find myself saying this line out loud from time to time and cracking up laughing.

- Higgins reaction to the above mentioned awakening was great. I loved how he wanted to just burst in on the others with the good news but stopped to compose himself. Such classic Higgins behavior. It was great to see the group (with the exception of the dispicable "Father Timothy"!) all cheering in that waiting room thrilled that TM had survived!

- And speaking of good old father Timothy, why use the exact same actor that had just appeared in Season 7's Paper War as Bill Nali, a totally seperate character? Not a big deal but just seemed kind of ridiculous.

- Aboslutely LOVE the Al Kaline card! Being a huge Tigers fan and long time baseball card collector I can tell it was the real thing. Again, Rick was so cool to Thomas in this one, I really liked that as I have always been a huge Rick fan.

Overall, love the fact that they brought TM back. As we all know Limbo was supposed to be the final episode. Even though season 8 was a short one it had some really solid episodes. In my opinion the show was still at an extremely high level and could have gone at least 10 seasons. But somewhat unerstandably Tom Selleck wanted to move on to movies and bigger things. I always have wondered what the others thought about ending the show?

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#54 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Milton Collins wrote:
-- Is it just me or is Rick a better friend in this one than TC? I realize that TC is trying to reconnect with family but he just seems disinterested where Rick pretty much rearranged his life to be around Thomas as I would think a genuine really good friend would do. I guess though at the end TC does come through with flying colors by saving TM from murdering Quang Ki. I can't help but think that it might have been better if he had though as it would have avoided the death of Michelle. But Magnum is not a cold blooded murderer so I get it.
I just got the season 8 DVD set from the library and I rewatched this episode just yesterday. In watching it, I'd have to disagree with you. I don't think that was what they had intended to convey. I think it was more of a situation where they had very different reactions to Magnum's near death. In the waiting room Rick had a breakdown and was convinced Magnum was not going to make it. TC went off to talk to him. Rick stayed closer to Magnum, in my opinion, because he was trying to make up for giving up hope in his survival. He was in some kind of post traumatic stress. TC, on the other hand, was more optimistic on Magnum's chances of survival and so when Magnum did survive he was able to relax more and look at his life with a different perspective. TC saw it as "Magnum almost didn't make it this time and that could happen to anyone. I better build up my buisness and take better care of my family while I have the chance." Rick saw it as "I can't believe I'm getting another chance to be around Magnum so I better make the most of it and help him as much as possible." It wasn't as if TC hadn't checked on Magnum and kept up with his progress. He even figured out where Magnum was going and got there in time to stop him from killing Ki. It was at that point in the continuation of the story through the next episode where TC actually did what Rick was doing and would hover around Magnum.

I think it would help put it into perspective to consider that the three of them were 3 members of a unit that made it out of Viet Nam alive. Other members of that unit were killed which made their bond even more solid because they knew how fortunate they were to have had each other to help the three of them survive the war. When one of them is the victim of an attack by a former Viet Cong so many years after they thought they were safe from that enemy it's bound to cause severe emotional trauma which would manifest itself differently in each individual.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by Milton Collins »

SignGuyHPW wrote:
Milton Collins wrote:
-- Is it just me or is Rick a better friend in this one than TC? I realize that TC is trying to reconnect with family but he just seems disinterested where Rick pretty much rearranged his life to be around Thomas as I would think a genuine really good friend would do. I guess though at the end TC does come through with flying colors by saving TM from murdering Quang Ki. I can't help but think that it might have been better if he had though as it would have avoided the death of Michelle. But Magnum is not a cold blooded murderer so I get it.
I just got the season 8 DVD set from the library and I rewatched this episode just yesterday. In watching it, I'd have to disagree with you. I don't think that was what they had intended to convey. I think it was more of a situation where they had very different reactions to Magnum's near death. In the waiting room Rick had a breakdown and was convinced Magnum was not going to make it. TC went off to talk to him. Rick stayed closer to Magnum, in my opinion, because he was trying to make up for giving up hope in his survival. He was in some kind of post traumatic stress. TC, on the other hand, was more optimistic on Magnum's chances of survival and so when Magnum did survive he was able to relax more and look at his life with a different perspective. TC saw it as "Magnum almost didn't make it this time and that could happen to anyone. I better build up my buisness and take better care of my family while I have the chance." Rick saw it as "I can't believe I'm getting another chance to be around Magnum so I better make the most of it and help him as much as possible." It wasn't as if TC hadn't checked on Magnum and kept up with his progress. He even figured out where Magnum was going and got there in time to stop him from killing Ki. It was at that point in the continuation of the story through the next episode where TC actually did what Rick was doing and would hover around Magnum.

I think it would help put it into perspective to consider that the three of them were 3 members of a unit that made it out of Viet Nam alive. Other members of that unit were killed which made their bond even more solid because they knew how fortunate they were to have had each other to help the three of them survive the war. When one of them is the victim of an attack by a former Viet Cong so many years after they thought they were safe from that enemy it's bound to cause severe emotional trauma which would manifest itself differently in each individual.

Good post and upon thinking more about it I agree with you! Shows how deep the show and the chacracters really are. TC did seem to have a more optimistic view and take some perspective from the situation whereas Rick was hovering around to a ridiculous point, and maybe part of that was guilt as you mentioned. I think it's also important that people grieve/deal with death in different ways. And like you said, TC sure was stuck like glue to Magnum in the episode following this 2 parter "Pleasure Principal" so it's not like he didn't have some of the same concerns as Rick.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by charybdis1966 »

Like all the post season 5 episodes this one (I have to call it "Infinity and JAM donoughts" as Higgins would approve) was new to me but I saw it a few days after Limbo, which is very much the way to view it if you can.

Who couldn't but grin at Higgins reclaiming the stiff upper lip before he relayed the news of TM's recovery? And asking for a pint of stout too, a thick, oaty warm beer IIRC as well.

That was one aspect of the story I liked, namely TM trying to convince the others of his out of body experience and getting sceptical reactions from Carol (not her again), Rick and TC.

He tried this a few times and almost proved it but not quite.

I did double take when an obvious continuity error jumped out, as pointed out before the change in TC's t shirt colour and lighting midway through his call to his family.

Story wise although the avenging brother plot appeared to come out of nothing TC saving the day seemed right somehow although why TM had to go back to that warehouse again wasn't apparent to me.

Overall a solid episode with thematic touches following on from Limbo in a, largely, pleasing manner.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by Milton Collins »

One phrase says it all for this awesome episode:

"I'd like a pint of stout!"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha just love it. Ghost Mac does not bother me one bit, I fund him funny and a great add.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#58 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

J.J. Walters wrote:After a long 20-year wait, I FINALLY get to see this episode again! It's pretty much as I remember it, only better! ;)

I thought the climactic showdown with Quang Ki was particularly well done... T.C.'s appearance was perfect in my book. After trying all episode to give Magnum some space and stay out of his affairs, T.C. figures out what's happening and comes to his aid (just like a good friend should). T.C. enters the "lighted doorway" (which symbolizes "heaven") and offers up a seemingly simple solution to a conflicting situation for Magnum (vengeance), "there is another way, man" - i.e. virtue, forgiveness, thou shall not kill. Great stuff!
Hi Guys,
I saw this episode today for the 1st time in years. I believe the showdown scene is not just a ending for this episode but actually a tying up of a main theme of the series since the get go and that Magnum is now a changed man.
When TM is about to kill(and I wouldn't blame him) a helpless Quang Ki with his symbolic blood soaked arms and hands holding a 2 by 4, he is still the SEAL sniper killing the same enemy he did years ago and carrying that same baggage he went to Hawaii to leave behind. Suddenly at the door or as JJ said "heaven/lighted doorway", there is a seeming Christ like figure bathed in ethereal light, commanding "Thomas!!! There's another way, man."
A doubting Thomas no more, he literally sees the light as TC(his conscience thru out the series) enters. He drops the heavy timber aka emotional baggage and is redeemed, the war is over, finally. He is reborn.
Joe Cocker sings
"I've lived to see the sun break through the Dawn,
I'm so glad I'm standing here today."
The whole series was about the boys getting healed. A much happier Rick than we have seen before is released from the prison he was in, due to the agency of a evolving Thomas extending himself to help others instead of trying yet again to game Rick for a favor. TC, always more spiritual, was ahead of the curve anyway and already re-connecting with his estranged family/home.
Higgy Baby, whose lifetime of doomed personal relationships have caused him to build a wall around his heart on the surface level, breaks into such
a joyful elation - to report Magnum's coming out of the coma - that as noted on these boards the viewer can't help but be moved himself and smile and laugh
and yes, get a bit misty at one of the best moments of the series.
It's nice to have the bonus of a extra season but the series really ended after this. On a artistic level the 'work' is finished. At least that's my 5 cents worth.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#59 Post by 308GUY »

LND: Absolutely phenomenal synopsis! :higgins:

Excellent post and points on the episode. :geek:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

brianw
Rear Admiral

#60 Post by brianw »

Good episode, especially after the show "ended" after season 7. I am torn about season 8, I am glad there was another season and that TM wasn't killed off. But I also think it might have been better to end it with his death. Its funny, by 1987, Magnum was trying really hard to be like Miami Vice, with the darker episodes and the music. I kinda like it, but I also kinda don't. I know that makes no sense.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#61 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

308GUY wrote:LND: Absolutely phenomenal synopsis! :higgins:
Excellent post and points on the episode. :geek:
308Guy,
Thank you pal.
The next episode "Pleasure Principle" underlines the changes in our boys. It starts off with a jogging! Higgins having a friendly banter on the beach with Magnum, with no tension or casting a wary eye at each other. When Thomas agrees to take Agatha to hear a Symphony and Higgins says "I'm deeply indebted", Thomas does not even  try to get a favor in return. Carol later refers to Higgins as TM's "friend."  Rick at one point says, "I'm a changed man." 
There is an interesting prequel to the redemption scene in "Infinity & Jelly Doughnuts" in "Way of the Stalking Horse."
Magnum goes to the guesthouse to get his gun in order to stalk and kill the hit man Driscoll.
TC had  beaten him there, TC always more hip to Magnum's demons than even Magnum.
And Magnum knows it, "what are you doing here" he coldly barks at TC.
As Magnum tosses his extra ammo clips in a bag, TC says "Your going to open that wound again, aren't you", referring both to TM's present gunshot wound and the physic one from his wartime "scalp hunting" as Tyler McKinney termed it.
 Magnum finds his pistol is missing. He chillingly gives TC a "if looks could kill" glare that speaks volumes.
His wounded arm dangles at his side, symbolic of his moral and  physical decay.
TC fights for the better angels of Magnum's nature, 
       "You simply cannot go after him." 
Magnum betrays their friendship with an outright whopper of a lie and can't even look TC in the eye -
"I never said I was, I'm just looking for a change of scenery. A change of location till I can recuperate. That's all."
TC all too knowingly sighs, tosses Magnum's gun on to the bed. No redemption that day for Magnum, no "better way."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Hey, I'm walking here! I'm walking here!"...Dustin Hoffman(Midnight Cowboy)
This immortal line was a result of a citizen in his car ignoring the film crews and barriers and almost
running down Hoffman who replied with the above.
Last edited by Luther's nephew Dobie on Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#62 Post by brianw »

This may be a dumb question, but was the quote ever explained? "Time has nothing to do with infinity and jelly donuts." Its so random and makes no sense. I like to just say this to people from time to time and see if they have any clue what I am talking about. So far, nobody has.

Another quote I say all the time, just to test people, is "A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish." Anyone know where its from without google?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#63 Post by K Hale »

I don’t think it’s supposed to make sense, other than be a garbled thing you might come up with while recovering from a near death experience and being mute for a couple weeks while having out-of-body conversations with a dead friend... who loved jelly donuts. Mac told Magnum he had a limited amount of time to solve the problem, whereas Mac is in infinity.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

terryfromkerry
Fleet Admiral

#64 Post by terryfromkerry »

Just viewed Limbo and Infinity again as a double bill. Magnum's request for a pint of stout on awakening is just hilarious. Reminded me of an old Guinness television ad. which is somewhat appropriate here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69MpLiYhsXw
"Oh Jonathan !....oh Jonathan, come quickly ...... your hot cross buns are smoking".

prokaryote
Ensign

#65 Post by prokaryote »

"Hi guys"

The last post in this chat thread is from Nov 2019, but I'd like to post something that I consider a big flub from Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts.
Since we're all stuck at home for Covid (I'm in the Seattle area) Ive been doing a lot of channel surfing, while working all day. I happened to stumble upon the episode "Pleasure Principle" on a channel that plays classic TV shows. It was only about 10 mins in, so I naturally watched it. PS: Yes I know this is the "Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts" thread... need to set this up so you understand where i'm going w this.

At first, I sorta did, but sorta didn't remember "Pleasure Principle". As I was kept watching, it started to all come back to me. Then I remembered that I personally had considered this "part 3" from Limbo, then Infinity n Jelly Doughnuts because of how they were still wrapping up TM getting shot and the coma (I remember thinking it was great to take time to do that since it was a major part of the story). I loved the role reversal w/ Magnum and Higgins, but started to get annoyed with TM squinting his left eye and turning his head strangely all the time. I just didn't remember that aspect of the episode. Then near the end when TM almost punches Higgins by accident, and proclaims hes now blind in that eye from "the fight in the warehouse", I was like what???

Of course I dug out my season 8 DVD to re watch "Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts". One of my favorite episodes despite many of the questionable things throughout. Which brings me to the fight in the warehouse. After having re-watched the entire episode, I now know why i didn't recall anything significant about his eye. The last 5 minutes of the episode were the most symbolic and frankly what I remember the most. TC walking through the bright doorway, TM dropping the 2x4 and standing up tall, etc, etc. Except for busted lip, nothing seemed wrong with his face. So I backed it up and re-watched the fight at a slower speed.

He's got the 2x4, hes gonna kick some butt

But oops, TM gets kicked, punched, then elbowed on the boo boo side of his body, then falls on his head (the left side) and presumably does something bad to his eye at this point?

TM is trying to get up and holds his eye socket and or head...

TM falls ON TOP OF, and then next to the gun TWICE! Why didn't he pick it up!? Okay yes, maybe he was blind in that eye.

TM struggles to pick up the 2x4 (which is NEXT TO THE GUN!) TO THIS DAY I am still trying to figure out why the left side of his body was bleeding profusely all down his arm. As TM mentioned earlier to Maggie "There has got to be a reason..."

TM is eyeballing his target, while dragging the 2x4... You can see the eye is all messed up.

Then just as hes gonna bash some brains in, boom.. eye is all better! doh! poor editing and makeup job?

TC prevents TM from doing what he should have done.

So yeah, thats my flub. If the eye was going to be such a big deal in the next episode.. and they did keep mentioning it, they should have taken more care with the makeup and fake blood. They had time to put that blood all over his arm for goodness knows why... unless it was a stunt accident and they just left it.

-MW

PS: Would love to read any comments you may have!