6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 76

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Magnum has apparently grown tired of "Coops" and "Old Dusseldorf". Here he enjoys a generic "Beer" beer (but again with a Coors-like label). ;)

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#12 Post by rubber chicken »

This is a great episode. We've got the lads, and Higgins with his hand signals, making them growl when he's irritated etc. Trying to bribe TC with macadamia nuts, pork rinds and potato chips. Magnum as TC's head of security (which is garbage). A rubber chicken sighting. Magnum appreciating garden snails, and then laughing like Goofy when the flopper gets hit by a car. Good voice overs by Magnum about baseball etc. Higgins being mistaken as a servant. Rick and his bug problem, and Magnum in the bug mask. Rita getting Rick to help her without Magnum's knowledge. A car chase, and then evading on foot. And jumping off the top of a parking garage into a garbage truck.

This show has got everything! :lol:

Rita Parker says Magnum is a "detective in Hawaii" but Magnum doesn't correct her by saying "investigator." This is the only time I can think of right now when he lets someone call him a detective. Interestingly later when they're at dinner, Joe Hatten calls Magnum a "P.I." and Rita corrects him by saying "private investigator." Janis Ward is very good in her part. I'm going to netlfix The House on Sorority Row, costarring Janis Ward. 8)

And there's lots of good quotes too:

Higgins - "Because that is the order of the universe."

Joe Hatten - "Zeus and Apollo? Don't you think those names are a little poofy for attack dogs?"
Higgins - "POOFY!?"

Higgins - "Well, Magnum, I must say, while I appreciate your enthusiasm, having him sign a release would have been quite sufficient."

Joe Hatten - "What the hell is this?"
Magnum - "Joe, it's not what it looks like."
Joe Hatten - "Oh, it not. Well, it looks like you're trying to inhale my fiance."

Joe Hatten - "You know Higgins? Magnum's got himself one sweet layout here. You must enjoy working for him."
Higgins - "... It's an experience. ... As you can see, Mr. Magnum takes an inordinate pride in his dedication to the horticultural arts."
Joe Hatten - "Yeah. If he ever wants to sell, this'd make a hell of a landfill."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#13 Post by J.J. Walters »

Great review rubber chicken!

This one has become one of my very favorite episodes, pretty much for everything you've just said.

One other thing that strikes me about this episode is how they somehow manage to make Joe Hatten a somewhat likable misogynist bigot! If that's even possible. :?

I think I found the Safeway that is featured in that extended indoor/outdoor scene. A street address of "377" can be seen above the main entrance. The only Safeway on Oahu that has a "377" street address is on Keahole St. in Hawaii Kai. The buildings and surrounding area seem to match up, as well.

Google Map

rubber chicken wrote: I'm going to netlfix The House on Sorority Row, costarring Janis Ward. 8)
Lord help me, but I actually saw this movie when I was a teenager! Don't remember a thing about it, however. Let us know how it goes. See if you can get a couple of screens of Janis. ;)

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#14 Post by rubber chicken »

True about Joe Hatten. The viewer isn't so sure about him at first, I was wondering if he was mafia himself. But in the end he's not so bad, definitely needs some work, but he seems to care enough to try.

Incidentally, Joe Hatten and his fiance are very, very similar to the couple in Born Yesterday. The movie stars Broderick Crawford as a self made garbage tycoon (with personality close to Hatten's), and Judy Holiday (very much like Rita Parker) as his mistress who starts off as not too bright, but with William Holden's help she learns all sorts of things, academically and otherwise during the course of the movie and comes to assert herself. It's a great movie, I love Judy Holiday. I would very highly doubt that this show was written without Born Yesterday in mind, or even close at hand. I think it would be right to consider it an homage. Many other details are in both the movie and show also.

Yep, the location hehe. It's nice when they give you an address! The exact location is in the center of the map here. In your picture you can count the roof extensions, and the Safeway sign and entrance is under the indintation as shown. In the far left you can see the mountains behind. Rick must have frequented this location often as it's near his condo. :wink:

I'm looking up to you James for seeing that movie as a kid. :lol: It might be hard getting a picture of her in something other than her birthday suit though - it is an 80s college horror movie after all. But wish me luck! :P

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Very interesting regarding the Born Yesterday movie. And yet another William Holden connection in the show!
rubber chicken wrote:It's nice when they give you an address!
PARTIAL address! I did have to a little investigative work to find the location..... Ok, it was really easy, but still. ;)
rubber chicken wrote:I'm looking up to you James for seeing that movie as a kid.
Yeah, this was in the early 80s. The height of the Slasher films phenom. On Saturdays, my friends and I used to ride our bikes up to the cineplex (a pretty good hike) and sneak into "R" movies (mostly horror) after we purchased tickets for a "PG" movie. Looking back, I suspect that the damage those movies did to my young mind is irreparable! Still, those movies are pretty tame compared to the stuff out today.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#16 Post by rubber chicken »

I didn't mean to put down your investigative skills, hehe. It's cool that it's still a Safeway - the "Day-n-Dark" location is no longer a convenience store but we can visit this location as a substitute. I wonder if they carry Fig Newtons? I'll leave that as an open mission to anyone traveling to Oahu, should anyone choose to accept.

The great thing about slasher & horror movies of the 80s is that even though people die etc., they mostly had a good heart underneath. Some good comedy was often included and other aspects made for a reassuring "we're having fun" kind of attitude. Like you said, today's horror movies are different, more realistic and more serious, and with a mean attitude. Even crime shows on TV are more realistic and gruesome. Which explains in part why I don't watch much of today's TV or movies.

Edit: I remembered after writing about Born Yesterday that the self made man was in scrap metal, instead of garbage. At least that's what I'm thinking now.

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#17 Post by rubber chicken »

I saw The House on Sorority Row last night. Not bad if you like 80s horror, it was a little better than I expected, and in general I'm not a big fan of horror. BTW I joked about nudity in an above post but there were only a few brief shots in the movie, Janis Ward not being one of them (not that it's important to me either way, honestly!)

Janis Ward is one of seven sorority sisters who all get about equal time in the movie except one who is featured more prominently in the story. Meaning most of the girls are in and out of the story-line but mainly as a group, until it's their time to, umm, exit stage left.

Here's the group before things start to go wrong. Janis is second from right.

Debating what to do with a stiff:

And shortly after pushing a dumpster into a police car (there may or may not be a dead body inside the dumpster, my lips are sealed):
Last edited by rubber chicken on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, 1983 Janis Ward looks a lot different than 1987 Janis Ward! :shock

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#19 Post by N1095A »

I sincerely hope someone in wardrobe was fired for this:
:shock:
"But Higgins, I can explain."

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#20 Post by golfmobile »

N1095A,

What? You can't wear that outfit and get away with it??? (Larry would because his couture skills are about as good as his golf drive -- and he's oblivious to his appearance. I think being able to wear something like this outfit is attributable to either a great deal of confidence or a great deal of unawareness [if that's a word . . . . ]!)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"It takes a REAL man to wear [baby] pink [and baby blue at the same time]."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

N1095A

#21 Post by N1095A »

golfmobile wrote:N1095A,

What? You can't wear that outfit and get away with it??? (Larry would because his couture skills are about as good as his golf drive -- and he's oblivious to his appearance. I think being able to wear something like this outfit is attributable to either a great deal of confidence or a great deal of unawareness [if that's a word . . . . ]!)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"It takes a REAL man to wear [baby] pink [and baby blue at the same time]."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

golf
The colors are bad enough, but the shorts look like underpants. There are are a couple of season 8 episodes where he wears those shorts with a Hawaiian shirt :shock:. He also has a pair of light tan shorts that have the same white waistband. TM's wardrobe really changed in season 7 and 8. Not always for the better.
Last edited by N1095A on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

N1095A

#22 Post by N1095A »

Another primo quote in the bar scene.

(To Rita)"...and remember never lie. Unless you absolutely have to, never lie."
(next words out of TM's mouth to the bartender)"Hi, My cousin lives in the neighborhood. I hear he comes in here a lot. His name's Chester, or Chet. Ya' recognize him?"

Then later on...
(Rick) "I'm takin' off like a toupee in a hurricane."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#23 Post by J.J. Walters »

N1095A wrote:I sincerely hope someone in wardrobe was fired for this:
:shock:
LMAO!! :lol:

Yeah, what in the world is up with this outfit!? Even for the late 80s, this is just plain horrendous!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#24 Post by rubber chicken »

He's like a Ken Doll dressed for a day of yuppie yachting with the New York Yacht Club. :wink:

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#25 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

That is pretty hidious. I'm sure I had something similar in the 80's. :oops: