No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 81

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Tigers Fan (8.4)

#71 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Rewatched this one just a little bit ago and something struck me as odd. Why would Tanaka be on his own for this investigation? Why not involve the department if he was on to something that would have proved there was a criminally insane man running a drug operation? If the IA was involved somehow why did it get dropped so easily? Tanaka seemed to be hinting to Magnum that he wanted help on this, presumably, vigilante mission and then dismissed it pretty quickly. It stands to reason that he'd still have wanted some help knowing how dangerous this was.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#72 Post by SignGuyHPW »

SignGuyHPW wrote:Rewatched this one just a little bit ago and something struck me as odd. Why would Tanaka be on his own for this investigation? Why not involve the department if he was on to something that would have proved there was a criminally insane man running a drug operation? If the IA was involved somehow why did it get dropped so easily? Tanaka seemed to be hinting to Magnum that he wanted help on this, presumably, vigilante mission and then dismissed it pretty quickly. It stands to reason that he'd still have wanted some help knowing how dangerous this was.
Nobody has a theory on this?

#1 Buzzettes Fan
Lieutenant

#73 Post by #1 Buzzettes Fan »

SignGuyHPW wrote:
SignGuyHPW wrote:Rewatched this one just a little bit ago and something struck me as odd. Why would Tanaka be on his own for this investigation? Why not involve the department if he was on to something that would have proved there was a criminally insane man running a drug operation? If the IA was involved somehow why did it get dropped so easily? Tanaka seemed to be hinting to Magnum that he wanted help on this, presumably, vigilante mission and then dismissed it pretty quickly. It stands to reason that he'd still have wanted some help knowing how dangerous this was.
Nobody has a theory on this?
Maybe I missed something but didn't Tanaka break protocol by hiding the kilo?

This was a perfect episode for me even though it really choked me up. The first act dialogue was top notch and was delivered at a remarkable pace. I love baseball as well so that couldn't get any better for me. The nephew Biff was probably my favorite of the younger characters. No corny one liners. He seemed like a great kid. The boat photography was amazing. Higgins own secret stash was another great tie in and naming the strain after Tanaka was perfect.

It was sad that Tanaka was trying to ask for Magnum's help at the baseball diamond but he wasn't listening.

"Sometimes the book doesn't cover the situation. Still, once you go away from it, you're on your own, making all the decisions, playing it by ear. It's kind of scary unless you can get someone to back you up. Of course, the only place you can get that kind of support is from another gambler. Someone like you, maybe?"

brianw
Rear Admiral

#74 Post by brianw »

Doc Fred wrote:Just a short comment about Page.... He's the kind of cop you have to really appreciate. A guy who does what's right, even if it may not be completely by the book. I loved how he knew what Magnum was up to and helped in the background even though it wasn't completely what someone else would have done. Someone very Tanaka-like. The sequence in headquarters at the desk was great... after Magnum put the kilo in Page's desk and then outplayed the weasel who was trying to put a black mark on Tanaka's record. I think this sequence showed how good a cop Page was. I just wish we got to see a whole lot of Page in future shows.

The sequence on the ship was terrific... loved how Magnum terminated Walker, without having to worry about him going to trial and possibly beating the rap.

It surprised me, at the baseball game, that TC had himself coach first base and let Magnum coach third. I believe, in reality, that TC would have been the third base coach, especially considering how different his philosophy in coaching was from Magnum's. You had to know that, after seeing who was coaching where, that there'd be a play involving the same situation as we saw when they argued about whether to send the runner in or keep him at third. Also, I thought the real hero in the game was the kid who hit the ball that allowed Biff to score... :)

Overall, a really fine episode... I really loved it.

I agree on all counts, 100%. Why wasn't TC coaching third himself? And yea, the kid who got the game winning hit is the true hero of the game./

brianw
Rear Admiral

#75 Post by brianw »

Really good episode for me. I like thqat the writers have the courage to kill off such a likable character, but I was sad to see Tanaka get killed like that. I believe he and TM had an underlying mutual respect for each other's investigative skills, plus the fact that he left behind a sister and a young nephew, which was why his death hit Magnum so hard.

Lots of flubs pointed out here, some of them very very picky (insert eye roll here), some more obvious. But the one I noticed was when TM had dispatched a few of the bad guys on the ship, but there was one left above him, as he was sneaking around below the guy. When TM confronted the last group of bad guys walking out, he HAD to know that other bad guy was still up there. Yet he turned his back and seemed surprised when the guy appeared and almost shot him in the back. Sloppy work by TM.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#76 Post by No need to know! »

This episode could have been so much better i think. Main issue for me is this. The whole episode have almost a happy tone and is acted lighthearted by the actors. It should have a much more darker tone like Death and taxes. I mean come on Tanaka has been killed, did anyone even notice? Creepy episode, and a big let down for me.
Onion´s extra?

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#77 Post by K Hale »

Hey, they had a funeral. Everyone looked sad.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

Mad Kudu Buck
Fleet Admiral

#78 Post by Mad Kudu Buck »

No need to know! wrote:This episode could have been so much better i think. Main issue for me is this. The whole episode have almost a happy tone and is acted lighthearted by the actors. It should have a much more darker tone like Death and taxes. I mean come on Tanaka has been killed, did anyone even notice? Creepy episode, and a big let down for me.
I agree completely. This is why I don't like this episode. Tanaka's death should have been much more dramatic - like Mac's death.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#79 Post by brianw »

Caught this one again today. Still sad to see Tanaka go out like that. I do like Page too tho. This was another ep they kinda tried to take a page from the Miami Vice playbook.

What was up with that baseball field? It looked like they just threw some dirt down on top of the grass where the baselines should be.

rasgards
Rear Admiral

#80 Post by rasgards »

Filming Photos from TIGER FAN aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Sassafras in Honolulu Harbor. Uploaded to Facebook by a Crew member in January 2020. Unfortunate about the quality, but still cool.

From crew members..."The Magnum PI Production Company filmed Aboard CGC Sassafrass for Several evenings at Coast Guard Base Sand Island. Big Union run presence, all the film trades, camera, lighting, Props, Stylists, Gaffers, Electrician, craft services. There was a Circus Caravan of trucks and trailers, porta potties and Light Towers filling the parking area. I only saw Tom Selleck step out of his RV once the one evening I was I there. Only a minimum crew were aboard after 1700 while filming. One of the deckies was paid $100 for letting the Camera guy focus on his stubbly Round Head for camera positioning the fight scene on the fantail, starboard main deck, Focsel WTD. I know they also filmed in the Wardroom. All it took to make Sass Look like a Bad Guy Cargo Ship was that they hung a thick cargo net over the racing stripes on the bow.
I know we all got Magnum PI Tee Shirts with the Cross of Lorraine. But some lucky few got a production company silk screen screen printed T- Shirt, of all characters of all the trades circling the Magnum PI Logo."

"The assistant director was a Rogers, so I was hired as a stand in, had lunch with Tom and his actor buddies, got a script ( still have it) t shirt, hat and 90 bucks!, Even was invited to go watch the tigers playing in the playoffs with the crew, nice folks!"

Ras G (SASSAFRAS Crew 95-97)
Ras G

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#81 Post by eagle »

This is a sad episode, but one thing I really love about it is the opening monologue about baseball. What magnum says about the sport is true, and it is one of the things I love about baseball.

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#82 Post by Pahonu »

eagle wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 pm This is a sad episode, but one thing I really love about it is the opening monologue about baseball. What magnum says about the sport is true, and it is one of the things I love about baseball.
I always loved that monologue and agree with its sentiment as well.

Spagnum
Lieutenant

#83 Post by Spagnum »

I believe TC was actually the second base coach, not the first base coach. In Little League, I believe it's often permitted to have a coach at second to help the kids out with when they should run or not. But this is usually for real small kids, who are completely clueless. These kids here are old enough to not need a second base coach any longer, so I think this is an error to have TC at second.

Also (and maybe this is already obvious), but did anyone else notice that TC's shirt says, "TC Tigers Coach"? Get it, T. C., Tigers. Coach.! :lol: :lol: :lol:

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#84 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this episode for the first time today and aside from Higgins line about the Albanian Countess I found the whole story dull and unengaging.
It doesn’t help that the opening scene centred around baseball, unfortunately a sport I find deeply tedious (yes I know - this from a cricket fan), finishing with a shoot out in a boat with an unnecessarily high body count.
I just couldn’t get into the story.
Oh well, at least that Baldwin woman wasn’t in it so I should have been grateful for small mercies.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#85 Post by eagle »

Pahonu wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:33 pm
eagle wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 pm This is a sad episode, but one thing I really love about it is the opening monologue about baseball. What magnum says about the sport is true, and it is one of the things I love about baseball.
I always loved that monologue and agree with its sentiment as well.
Now with the pitch timer, baseball is way too fast, IMHO. I really miss that "internal game clock."