Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#21 Post by Doc Ibold »

If I have a kid, I think I'll name him "Biff"

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

Haha, Doc!

I was just reading up on Nobu McCarthy (Barbara Ikeda). She's had an interesting career and was an absolute knockout back in the day. Not that she doesn't look good here, as well. ;)

Here's a good write-up about her....

http://www.audreymagazine.com/Sep2005/Living01.asp

Note the cool picture of her with Tom Selleck (wearing a "Paddlers" softball shirt)!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#23 Post by IslandHopper »

This is an excellent episode, except for the fact that Lt. Tanaka had to die. He was one of my favorite recurring characters. It is a painful reminder that the show is coming to a close. As others have already mentioned, the first scene where the undercover officers were discussing Lance White was great.

During Lt. Tanaka’s funeral we see a U.S. Army Medal of Honor and Medal of Honor ribbon. I don’t recall if it was revealed during the series that Lt. Tanaka was ever in the U.S. Army. However, the Medal of Honor shown was the variety awarded by the U.S. Army (as opposed to Navy/Marines and Air Force), and is awarded only for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States. I don’t know if the medal and ribbon shown were supposed to serve as a Police medal for purposes of the episode. If so, then this is a flub, as the medal and ribbon shown are clearly a Medal of Honor and ribbon for the U.S. Army, not a civilian police force. So, if Tanaka was awarded the medal and ribbon (the medal and ribbon represent the same award; the ribbon is often worn in lieu of the actual medal which is worn around the neck), then it would have been as a member of the U.S. Army for action against an enemy. It is revealed during the episode by Lt. Page that Tanaka served 26 years with the department (H.P.D.) As James pointed out, Tanaka’s D.O.B. is July 20, 1934, which would have made him too young for WWII. He could have joined the Army as a young man and may have caught the tale end of Korea. If he was with H.P.D. for 26 years then he would have joined H.P.D. around 1961, before the U.S. was involved in Vietnam (not including advisors). Most likely, Tanaka would have won the Medal of Honor during Korea. I don’t believe this information is ever revealed about Yoshi Tanaka. I prefer to think that Tanaka won the Medal of Honor (and ribbon) while in the Army, rather than as a flub.

I liked the way Magnum and Lt. Page worked together in order to clear Tanaka’s name.

A minor flub can be spotted after Magnum takes the metal lock-box out of Tanaka’s crypt. The box contains a kilo of cocaine and the coroner’s report of his partner, Robert Oliver Slater. The coroner’s report gives Slater’s age as 32, however, he was actually 27. His D.O.B. (Oct. 8, 1945) and date-of-death (April 7, 1973) can be seen when Magnum is at Tanaka’s crypt. He also looks at Slater’s crypt which is next to Tanaka’s.

The coroner’s report also includes a category for “Marks and Scars.“ Under that category, the report says, “BEAUTY MARK ON DERRIERE.“ :shock:

Another possible flub occurs when Magnum is preparing to go after the bad guys on the ship. Magnum takes the time to put the grease on his face, arms, legs, etc., in order to provide camouflage and concealment while stalking the bad guys aboard the ship, yet he forgets to remove his stainless steel watch, sterling silver MIA bracelet and gold team ring. These items are highly reflective and would negate the effect of the grease as camouflage. You can see these items reflect light as he climbs aboard the ship using the anchor chain. These are minor flubs which do not take away from the episode.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

Great review IH!

I would concur that Tanaka more than likely served in the Korean War.
IslandHopper wrote:Another possible flub occurs when Magnum is preparing to go after the bad guys on the ship. Magnum takes the time to put the grease on his face, arms, legs, etc., in order to provide camouflage and concealment while stalking the bad guys aboard the ship, yet he forgets to remove his stainless steel watch, sterling silver MIA bracelet and gold team ring. These items are highly reflective and would negate the effect of the grease as camouflage. You can see these items reflect light as he climbs aboard the ship using the anchor chain. These are minor flubs which do not take away from the episode.
Good flub spot! I love the fact you can actually see these things reflecting light in the episode! Too funny!

Of course, one could argue that this isn't really a flub, because Magnum never takes these things off when he goes on these little "assault missions" (i.e. looking to lay some hurt on somebody)! They are a part of him. They give him strength. It's a calculated risk that he feels he has to take. ;)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#25 Post by IslandHopper »

Thanks James.
James J. Walters wrote:Of course, one could argue that this isn't really a flub, because Magnum never takes these things off when he goes on these little "assault missions" (i.e. looking to lay some hurt on somebody)! They are a part of him. They give him strength. It's a calculated risk that he feels he has to take. ;)
I agree with you James, but it is interesting to note that in "Unfinished Business" he actually goes without the MIA bracelet, watch and team ring while camo'd up and in his sniper nest. I think that is what made "UB" a special episode. He discarded his MIA bracelet. :shock: There had to be some symbolism there, but that is a discussion for a different thread. :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#26 Post by Shermy »

IslandHopper wrote:he actually goes without the MIA bracelet, watch and team ring while camo'd up and in his sniper nest. There had to be some symbolism there
Yeah, I think that was more of a symbolic gesture than a strategic one. Basically, the equivalent of a cop leaving his badge in the drawer before doing something illegal.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#27 Post by Doc Ibold »

I agree.

I think he knew that if he shot Quang Ki, he'd mess up the switch.

VM02
Rear Admiral

#28 Post by VM02 »

I like the concept that leaving the MIA bracelet behind was like a cops badge. I always felt that it was a way of expressing the fact that he was willing to sacrifice everything else that he cared about for vengeance. In the end, of course, he was unable to do so.

Lt Tanaka
Vice Admiral

#29 Post by Lt Tanaka »

What can I say. Goodnight.

VM02
Rear Admiral

#30 Post by VM02 »

I think they missed an opportunity to with the Medal of Honor awarded to Tanaka. He could have easily been a Japanese-American who served in Europe in WWII and won the Medal there. It would have explained a great deal about why he and Magnum are on the same wavelength, (still does I guess) and also subtly paid tribute to those wronged one of the largest American atrocities of the War; self inflicted and sad-- very sad.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

VM02 wrote:I think they missed an opportunity to with the Medal of Honor awarded to Tanaka. He could have easily been a Japanese-American who served in Europe in WWII and won the Medal there.
Yeah, Kwan Hi Lim is actually one year older than Hillerman. Yet, they had Higgins serving in WWII and Tanaka in Korea (b. 1934). And Tanaka looks older than Higgins! Strange...

In honor of the new baseball season that is upon us, I've added the opening baseball "debate" scene with Magnum, T.C. and Tanaka as an audio clip:

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Baseball.html

What a great scene! It's become one of my very favorites.

"Thomas, all these guys live around here. Obviously we're at home"

:)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#32 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow! The IMDB website has John Hillerman's year of birth as 1932. I looked up Roger Mosley's year of birth and it had it as 1938. So according to that web site it would make Hillerman only 6 years older than Mosley!

http://imdb.com/name/nm0608853/

http://imdb.com/name/nm0384916/

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#33 Post by N1095A »

Wow! T.C. is 70.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#34 Post by SelleckLover »

Well, he's actually only 69 because his birthday isn't until December. :D

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#35 Post by N1095A »

If you caught him on Las Vegas, he doesn't look anywhere near it either.
"But Higgins, I can explain."