6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 81

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#31 Post by J.J. Walters »

VM02 wrote:I think they missed an opportunity to with the Medal of Honor awarded to Tanaka. He could have easily been a Japanese-American who served in Europe in WWII and won the Medal there.
Yeah, Kwan Hi Lim is actually one year older than Hillerman. Yet, they had Higgins serving in WWII and Tanaka in Korea (b. 1934). And Tanaka looks older than Higgins! Strange...

In honor of the new baseball season that is upon us, I've added the opening baseball "debate" scene with Magnum, T.C. and Tanaka as an audio clip:

http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/Baseball.html

What a great scene! It's become one of my very favorites.

"Thomas, all these guys live around here. Obviously we're at home"

:)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#32 Post by SelleckLover »

Wow! The IMDB website has John Hillerman's year of birth as 1932. I looked up Roger Mosley's year of birth and it had it as 1938. So according to that web site it would make Hillerman only 6 years older than Mosley!

http://imdb.com/name/nm0608853/

http://imdb.com/name/nm0384916/

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#33 Post by N1095A »

Wow! T.C. is 70.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

SelleckLover

#34 Post by SelleckLover »

Well, he's actually only 69 because his birthday isn't until December. :D

N1095A

#35 Post by N1095A »

If you caught him on Las Vegas, he doesn't look anywhere near it either.

SelleckLover

#36 Post by SelleckLover »

I agree! I hope I look half that good when I'm his age. :D

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by MPS »

Was sorry to see Tanaka go. :cry: He was one of my favorite characters on the show. Loved his dry sense of humor.

One question, however: Why did he wait 14 years to avenge his partner's death? Okay, yes, it was the final season, a good time to eliminate a character.

It was implied that Tanaka had been dwelling on the death for years. Why wait until the dealers were pulling out of Hawaii? I may have missed the reasoning behind this.......

If anyone has a theory, or caught the rationale while watching, I'd be glad to know.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#38 Post by golfmobile »

MPS,

I think this one of those things that we keep finding that aren't logical when looked at in retrospect and with thought and detail. As has been mentioned so many times, they were just cranking out episodes and weren't anticipating analysis, at least not the way we analyze every little detail here.

For example, just look at all the posts on the "Don't you find it strange that . . . ." thread.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Carmen
MPI

#39 Post by Carmen »

Rewatched this yesterday and fund a maybe-flub.
Magnum comes into HPD to see Lt. Page and is still wearing his black suit (and Page is too) but he said "...after the funeral yesterday..." strange, did they both sleep in their suits or did they decide to wear it casually?
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

artie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#40 Post by artie »

Remember back to Tanaka's first episode 2.15 (Try to Remember), he has on a silly blue hat? Okay, correct me if I am wrong but at the end of the episode 2.15 Try to Remember (Tanakas first episode) Tanaka takes Magnums tiger hat. Now fast forward to the end of this episode (8.4 Tigers Fan) in the end of this episode biff gives Magnum Tanakas Tigers hat. Are we to assume that this is the vary hat that belonged to Magnum originally?? It’s hard to tell since I don’t believe a definite time line has ever been established in the show, season two for all we know was just a year or two earlier in Magnum P.I. time. What do you think?
Last edited by artie on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#41 Post by J.J. Walters »

artie wrote:Remember back to Tanaka's first episode 2.15 (Try to Remember), he has on a silly blue hat? Okay, correct me if I am wrong but at the end of the episode 2.15 Try to Remember (Tanakas first episode) Tanaka takes Magnums tiger hat. Now fast forward to the end of this episode (8.4 Tigers Fan) in the end of this episode biff gives Magnum Tanakas Tigers hat. Are we to assume that this is the vary hat that belonged to Magnum originally?? It’s hard to tell since I don’t believe a definite time line has ever been established in the show, season two for all we know was just a year or two earlier in Magnum P.I. time. What do you think?
Yep, it's the same hat! I love it when the show does stuff like this; referencing small, seemingly insignificant events that happen years prior. :)
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

N1095A

#42 Post by N1095A »

I always assumed it was.

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#43 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I thought this episode was kinda sad. I didn't want Lieutenant Tanaka to die because his character was a great impact on the show.

N1095A

#44 Post by N1095A »

Tom_Magnum wrote:I thought this episode was kinda sad. I didn't want Lieutenant Tanaka to die because his character was a great impact on the show.
I completely agree. Not only that, he was tremendously likable with his quirky ways. A true friend to TM who although in (sometimes) a round-about way always looked out for the guys, and took care of them.

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#45 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Thanks N1095A! I feel really welcomed at this forum and its good that we both agree on many things.