6.0 (Pretty Bad)
4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 69

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Italian Ice wrote:I was looking up some info on one of Clint Eastwoods movies "Hereafter" and found this..

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.de ... l?nav=5016

You will notice the 2 people standing next to Clint were on this episode....a certain real life couple. Still around and are now stunt coordinators!
Nice job of spotting, Italian Ice!

Doesn't look like the "princess" has changed much since '87 -- maybe she really is timeless!
Last edited by Carol the Dabbler on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carol

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#22 Post by J.J. Walters »

Neither has Bobby Sixkiller! Wayne Newton-esque he is! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Better watch those adjectives, James!
Last edited by Carol the Dabbler on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carol

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#24 Post by J.J. Walters »

What? I'm not following you Carol. :?

I'm just saying Branscombe looks a little like Mr. Newton, and he doesn't appear to age. He sings, too. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

I don't watch much tv these days, so my initial reaction dates back to Mr. Newton's early days as a young performer, when he did not project a particularly he-man image.

However, from what little I've seen of him lately, he does seem to have grown up! I would say that he has definitely aged, and for the better.

So I would not think of the 70's Wayne Newton as an apt comparison for a stunt man, nor would I think of the long-term Wayne Newton as an example of agelessness. I guess each of us has our own personal set of stock comparisons!
Carol

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#26 Post by nha trang »

I thought this was an above-average episode. It reminds me of an episode (I forget which) where Magnum knows exactly where the false panel is hidden containing an envelope...I believe in that episode he had a dream of the location and the fact that he would be shot at and chased.

The show seems to like this idea of recurrence or reincarnation doesn't it?

Like you have to do things until you get them right kind of thing.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

nha trang wrote:The show seems to like this idea of recurrence or reincarnation doesn't it?

Like you have to do things until you get them right kind of thing.
Now that you mention it, that does seem to be a recurring (!) theme. Off the top of my head, there's also

1. the 30's-type mystery (title?) where the regulars are characters with some relevance to their usual selves,

2) Limbo / Jelly Doughnuts, where Magnum gets a do-over,

3) Woman on the Beach, where Rick apparently falls in love with a restless ghost,

4) Mac's Back, with a fake ghost (who has quite a lot to "get right"),

and probably a bunch more that aren't coming to mind right now.
Carol

txz045
Lieutenant

#28 Post by txz045 »

Watching the final few minutes of this one now. Just got season 8 from eBay finally completing my Magnum DVD collection. I've enjoyed this episode, I felt entertained and it kept my attention through-out.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Forever in Time (8.5)

#29 Post by Doc Fred »

Does anyone know the real name of the dancer who fascinated Thomas so much?
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Doc Fred
Admiral

#30 Post by Doc Fred »

A thoroughly enjoyable episode... I love the shows that deal with the mystic world, and this was one of my favorites. I liked the idea that someone in Mangum's ancestry COULD have been the navy lieutenant from 1910... especially considering the newspapers Magnum found indicating a family tie.... nicely done! I bought into this show, and enjoyed it from start to finish.

The start, with that beautiful dancing by the beautiful young woman, was terrific... plus Thomas' thoughts about taking in what you have, and appreciating it. I think it would have been nice if Thomas had a romance with the lovely granddaughter of the princess... it would have been a great connection.

As a couple others have said, I don't understand why many have panned this episode, but... I guess some wonder how I and others could be so positive about it.

Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#31 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I watched this one today and it baffled me a little bit. Magnum going to a random funeral for no real reason on his way to not miss out doing a chore for Higgins was weird. Then the girl just happens to go from the funeral to the museum moments ahead of Magnum which sets off the plot. It seemed like a stretch, but it was very well acted.

Turkey
Admiral

#32 Post by Turkey »

Just saw this one yesterday and I loved the music too - on watching it I was struck by a bit of similarity to the Vertigo (Hitchcock) storyline - perhaps the team were doing a bit of a homage? (spoiler) Especially with the husband trying to convince everyone that his wife thought she was the princess etc etc
Make it two weeks.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#33 Post by marlboro »

Here is a short clip of Branscombe Richmond and Lei Maa from 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRnipOOp7mU

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#34 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Just watched this one again thinking I may enjoy it better and, sadly, I did not. The story was just too strange and hard to follow for me.

The plot was really, really contrived. You had Magnum just pulling up to a random funeral for no real reason, having images of (I presume) his ancestor and the ancestor of the girl he saw briefly at the funeral being killed, the grand daughter of the princess ended up being related to the family of Magnum's mother I think possibly, and a museum curator being really creepy for, what turned out to be, no real reason. None of it made sense to me. Plus you have Magnum being completely obsessed with this case which wasn't really a case because nobody had hired him for anything. I always disliked it when Magnum would treat a legitamate case where he was paid like a big game yet be at his absolute Navy Seal best when it was not a paying case that he was trying to solve. There was also Magnum's hostility towards the museum curator from the start which was odd. The curator had no idea whom Magnum was or that he was investigator so it stands to reason he'd be gaurded when being asked all of those strange questions. I also thought it was a waste of Icepick. Magnum very rarely went to Icepick and it seemed just way to casual like he always popped in to visit Icepick at his home.

I liked how they were delving into some native Hawaiian story in general. I thought that they should've done a little more of that considering it made sense with being set in Hawaii. I also thought that the overall acting by everyone was really good. Rick being freaked out about being caught at that house was pretty legitamate as he had no way of escaping if anyone did show up there and was unarmed. The parts with the native music and dancing was very good as well. It was actually the most interesting parts of the show for me.

Turkey
Admiral

#35 Post by Turkey »

Just re-watched this one and I was struck again by the Vertigo elements - but I also thought I saw an accidental stray punch?

When Magnum is thumping Branscombe during the fire toward the end of the episode, it looks as though he accidentally glances a blow to Victoria's hip during the follow-through? I thought she moved just a little, but can't be sure without re-watching it and I'm no-where near my DVDs.

Can anyone confirm/refute? :D
Make it two weeks.