4%
5.0 (Just Awful)
3%

Total votes: 69

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: Forever in Time (8.5)

#31 Post by SignGuyHPW »

I watched this one today and it baffled me a little bit. Magnum going to a random funeral for no real reason on his way to not miss out doing a chore for Higgins was weird. Then the girl just happens to go from the funeral to the museum moments ahead of Magnum which sets off the plot. It seemed like a stretch, but it was very well acted.

Turkey
Admiral

#32 Post by Turkey »

Just saw this one yesterday and I loved the music too - on watching it I was struck by a bit of similarity to the Vertigo (Hitchcock) storyline - perhaps the team were doing a bit of a homage? (spoiler) Especially with the husband trying to convince everyone that his wife thought she was the princess etc etc
Make it two weeks.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#33 Post by marlboro »

Here is a short clip of Branscombe Richmond and Lei Maa from 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRnipOOp7mU

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#34 Post by SignGuyHPW »

Just watched this one again thinking I may enjoy it better and, sadly, I did not. The story was just too strange and hard to follow for me.

The plot was really, really contrived. You had Magnum just pulling up to a random funeral for no real reason, having images of (I presume) his ancestor and the ancestor of the girl he saw briefly at the funeral being killed, the grand daughter of the princess ended up being related to the family of Magnum's mother I think possibly, and a museum curator being really creepy for, what turned out to be, no real reason. None of it made sense to me. Plus you have Magnum being completely obsessed with this case which wasn't really a case because nobody had hired him for anything. I always disliked it when Magnum would treat a legitamate case where he was paid like a big game yet be at his absolute Navy Seal best when it was not a paying case that he was trying to solve. There was also Magnum's hostility towards the museum curator from the start which was odd. The curator had no idea whom Magnum was or that he was investigator so it stands to reason he'd be gaurded when being asked all of those strange questions. I also thought it was a waste of Icepick. Magnum very rarely went to Icepick and it seemed just way to casual like he always popped in to visit Icepick at his home.

I liked how they were delving into some native Hawaiian story in general. I thought that they should've done a little more of that considering it made sense with being set in Hawaii. I also thought that the overall acting by everyone was really good. Rick being freaked out about being caught at that house was pretty legitamate as he had no way of escaping if anyone did show up there and was unarmed. The parts with the native music and dancing was very good as well. It was actually the most interesting parts of the show for me.

Turkey
Admiral

#35 Post by Turkey »

Just re-watched this one and I was struck again by the Vertigo elements - but I also thought I saw an accidental stray punch?

When Magnum is thumping Branscombe during the fire toward the end of the episode, it looks as though he accidentally glances a blow to Victoria's hip during the follow-through? I thought she moved just a little, but can't be sure without re-watching it and I'm no-where near my DVDs.

Can anyone confirm/refute? :D
Make it two weeks.

Sperry
Lieutenant

#36 Post by Sperry »

Turkey wrote:Just re-watched this one and I was struck again by the Vertigo elements - but I also thought I saw an accidental stray punch?

When Magnum is thumping Branscombe during the fire toward the end of the episode, it looks as though he accidentally glances a blow to Victoria's hip during the follow-through? I thought she moved just a little, but can't be sure without re-watching it and I'm no-where near my DVDs.

Can anyone confirm/refute? :D
Haha..you are correct he does give her a right dig. poor lass

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#37 Post by Milton Collins »

golfmobile wrote:I was watching this one today (taped from WGN sometime ago), and after having watched the first three seasons on Sleuth so many times over the last few months, I found it very interesting to see that, when Magnum breaks into the house where the Hawaiian princess had lived (with Rick as his perennial look-out outside, overacting as usual), he's breaking into the house that was the residence of Lisa Page/Sara Clifford in "The Woman on the Beach"!! It's quite obvious, because I found the Page/Clifford house to be so distinctively memorable with its wrought-iron flower decoration on the sliding glass entrance doors of that house. Watch for it when Season 8 ever comes out.

I guess on Oahu, after eight years, they became somewhat limited as to sets!!

golf

Absolutely is the same house and was also used in Season 1's Skin Deep where Erin Wolfe pretended to shoot herself. As you said Golf, it's such a distinctive and awesome house its hard to miss!

I think this is a very solid episode and gave it an 8.5.

-An eerie mystery from the past, I love when Magnum has a creepy or supernatural theme!

-The volcanoes continuously being screwed up by Rick and TC was HILARIOUS! Especially with Higgins getting enraged each time "Oh My GOD!"

I get a little sad with the shortened Season 8's episodes because I know it's nearing the end (yes I know that's pathetic but I love Magnum that much lol!) but I find this one to be a good one from Season 8 along with a few others.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#38 Post by brianw »

I love that two great villains are in this together. Branscomb Richmond and Dick Durok.

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by charybdis1966 »

Continuing my first time viewing of season 8 and this one came up tonight.
Initially this had “Curse of the King Kamehameha club” vibes but then it went off on a left turn after that.
TM’s high waisted trousers did make me chortle somewhat in the last act but I should remember this aired around 35 years ago so some things will date.
I noticed a little coincidence (actually it may not be much of one) but the name of the princess is the same as the middle name of an actress from a flagship Glen Larson production of ten years earlier- namely Maren Kawehelani Jensen, from classic Battlestar Galactica.
Larry may have shared a few scenes with her back then.