6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
7%

Total votes: 59

erock308
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by erock308 »

"BTW, what kind of car did Carol drive? In the scenes when it appeared, it was always dark and I could not make it out."

Carols car was a Porsche 924 from the '85 - '88 models with the telephone dial wheels, note the absence of side fender flairs that were in the 944 line.

My insurance agent in the 80s had one, I had a red Fiero at the time... cool guy with my moustache, tigers hat and aviators on... who did I think I was... :wink:
"Don't worry, Higgins, I like your stories."

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

IslandHopper wrote:I don't really buy the premise that Carol was born in 1955 and is only 32. She has always seemed much older than that primarily because she has a very responsible job, and always seems to be the mature one in the group (along with Higgins), not to mention the touch of gray hair she has had since her first appearance in season 3.
Kathleen Lloyd, who played Carol, was born on September 13, 1948 (did they use her real birthday -- though not year -- for Carol?). So she was actually in her late (not early) 30's at the time.

golfmobile wrote:I think in "The Sting," Eileen Brennan ... was the bordello madam .... I don't know that she ever looked young and innocent, come to think of it! .... I think she's probably always been type-cast as the tough broad, though she was always good at it!
That's been my impression, too, so I was amazed to read (in The Official Dick Van Dyke Show Book) that Brennan had been under serious consideration for the role of Laura Petrie! In fact, she was such a hot contender that the studio paid to fly her out from New York for the audition. As you might imagine, however, her interpretation of Laura was simply too vigorous and self-assured. Though producer Carl Reiner still considers Brennan a wonderful actress, he said, "We knew she would be too strong for Dick."
Carol

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:Kathleen Lloyd, who played Carol, was born on September 13, 1948 (did they use her real birthday -- though not year -- for Carol?).
To answer my own question, no, they didn't, just awfully close. In real life, actress Kathleen was born on September 13. In this episode, her character Carol was born on September 17, according to her birth mother's recollection, which Magnum repeats to Father-turned-father O'Shea.

Speaking of ex-Father O'Shea, Catholic priests didn't seem too fare well in this series. Patrick O'Shea dropped out, "Father Tim" turned out to be an undercover Viet Cong agent, and Father Paddy, well ....
Carol

lembi
Ensign

#24 Post by lembi »

Hi!
Did you noticed that the lisence plate is the same (DBO-527) as in 7.20 The Aunt Who Came to Dinner.

and

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Hi, lembi -- Welcome to the forum!

Please excuse my ignorance of car models, but are the cars different, or is it just the lighting?

It's been a while since I saw either episode -- whose car(s) is it / are they?

And what does that bumper sticker say?
Carol

lembi
Ensign

#26 Post by lembi »

hi!
Not the car, it's the plate. Magnum investigates the ID in this episode, and the other episode too.
dbo-527 on both cars.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

I guess the studio didn't own all that many cars, or all that many plates. (And of course they couldn't very well use a random license number, even if they didn't show the plate, because it might cause problems for the real owner.) So they were bound to repeat now and then. And in the days before DVD's, who would have noticed?

I recall noticing a few years ago while watching a show from the 50's (Perry Mason, I think) that a woman gave her address as such-and-such a number on Las Palmas -- which happened to be identical to an address that was being used then (i.e., just a few years ago) for writing to the studio for tickets or contest entries or something. The show needed a real-sounding address, so they just used on of the studio's addresses.

At least it's less obvious than all those 555 phone numbers!
Carol

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#28 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:Hi, lembi -- Welcome to the forum!

Please excuse my ignorance of car models, but are the cars different, or is it just the lighting?

It's been a while since I saw either episode -- whose car(s) is it / are they?

And what does that bumper sticker say?
One is a Ford Thunderbird the other is a Honda Accord. All I can make of the bumper sticker is Big Tony's.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#29 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

A Google search brings up a lot of pizza places called Big Tony's. None of them seem to be in Hawaii at present -- but we're looking at a decades-old snapshot. Anyhow, the right-hand part of the smaller writing could say "pizza." Anybody have a Magnum-era Oahu phone book?

Side note: I said "Oahu phone book" rather than "Honolulu phone book" because when I was over there in the early 70's, that's the way things were organized. If you called Information, they didn't say "which city?" the way they do here on the mainland, they'd say "which island?"
Carol

JJ Quincannon
Lieutenant Commander

#30 Post by JJ Quincannon »

Hello all , I just watched this one last night and also it hit home much more to me now that I am lets say more mature although some here would argue that point. First of all Big Tony's is the car rental place that TC exchanges discounts with and Magnum has TC call over to Big Tony's to get an address to locate Carolls mother (boilogical). This was a little strange for me to see this as an adult because I was adopted as an infant and know how my Mom feared that someday my biological mom might show up trying to find me and turn Her life upside down. Now on the flip side I never thought of searching out my birth mother because it was probably a hard decision for her but the best for me to be given up for adoption and now I would never look her up. It would be hurtfull to the wonderful woman that raised me as well as endless possabilities for messing up my birth mothers life. Wow sorry to cary on like that-never put these feelings in print. Anyway that is why this episode hit home for me. PS I knew that I was adopted at an early age 6 or so and it had been discussed several times never really gave it a second thought until I got a little older.
"Ouuuta Sight"

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

JJ Quincannon wrote:... Big Tony's is the car rental place that ... Magnum has TC call ... to locate Carol's mother (biological). This was a little strange for me ... because I was adopted as an infant and ... never thought of searching out my birth mother because it was probably a hard decision for her but the best ...
Thanks, JJ Quincannon! A car-rental sticker makes a lot more sense than a pizza-parlor sticker. That's what I get for commenting on an episode that I haven't seen for a while!

It's great that you were raised in a loving home, and I'm sure your birth mother is glad that someone else could give you what she was unable to give you. She probably wonders what has become of you, but as you say, may prefer to maintain the status quo.
Carol

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Thomas mentions Carol's Porsche in Pleasure Principal. When he is considering buying her VW Golf, she says he is acting weird and he says she is too: "Using your inheritance to buy a Porsche!" Then a couple eps later, she's driving the Porsche. The producers, writers, and creators were excellent at foreshadowing; even fairly minor stuff about what kind of car someone drove!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Thanks for noticing that, MLS! As you say, the writers, et al. were clearly paying close attention to detail, something that's sadly lacking in some shows. Even though this detail could easily have been overlooked by the audience, since it spanned a few episodes, they kept it consistent.

That being the case, I really do wonder how they envisioned the Magnum - Sullivan family tree!
Carol

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#34 Post by nha trang »

This was a better than expected episode, while I never liked the episodes with Carol in them (I think she whined too much) her character is a little bit less annoying with the background that this episode provides. I think that's one of the things that annoyed me about Carol before, she was always around and the viewer was expected to somehow give a damn about whatever her crisis was this time. Most of the other characters had to work a lot harder and divulge a lot more of their backgrounds to gain our concern

Well, finally I guess the writers decided, in the last season, to make some sense of the Carol character by providing us with some character material, not just some public defender who for some reason has gray hair and then doesn't.

It was a good episode, I think in some ways it is the feminine equivalent of the Magnum story - I mean the Magnum male hero family drama business (his dad, Michelle, Lily). Both Magnum and Carol's personal histories are impressive and the family controversies cut to the core of the character and would seem to require a lot of courage and persistence to overcome.

That's always been one of the more inspirational parts of the show for me, displaying character in the face of adversity.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#35 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

I can't get over a supposedly well-adjusted woman in ther late 30s having a hissy fit after discovering, and I'm quoting here, that her father wasn't perfect.

Sorry, sweetheart, but if by the time you're a teenager you don't know that your father is not perfect you're emotionally stunted.