No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
7%

Total votes: 59

Neil Peel
Lieutenant

Re: The Love That Lies (8.6)

#41 Post by Neil Peel »

This is one of, if not the best "melodrama" episodes of the whole eight series. We have followed these characters for a long time (30+years in my case) and to see them battle with their consciences and suffer emotionally was very moving.

On a different note, I'm not happy about highlighting the following point but it seems to be a major flub that has been missed. In the car park scene, when Magnum instructs Keogh Palmer to tell his boss Forest Bingham to "lay off", Palmer responds by saying "Who the f@!# is Bingham?" I'm sure it's supposed to be "Who's Forest Bingham?", but it certainly doesn't sound like it and the lip movements don't match either. I hope I'm mistaken - this can't have happened in our beloved Magnum P. I., can it?

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by KingKC »

I think this episode was just filling in the details of Carol Baldwin's life the same way Tiger's Fan filled in the details of Tanaka's life (posthumously) and somewhat the same way Missing Melody filled in the details of TC's like. Much unlike others I liked Kathleen Lloyd as Carol Baldwin and Eileen Brennan is a superb actress who really helped make this show. It was clearly the most memorable Carol-centric episode and probably the best.

KingKC

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Eileen Brennan is terrific in this, even if the big 80s hair doesn't help the already-heavy subject matter. :P

And how has no one on here brought up Rick in drag pretending to be Carol yet? :lol:

(Excuse the play button there.)

With that wig, he looks like a late 70s/early 80s arena rocker. :lol: (I'm torn on whether he'd fit in better as a member of Journey or Foreigner. :P)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, wow! Totally forgot about that scene! LOL!... I'd say he fits more in with Night Ranger (inside joke to the longtime members. You know who you are). :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#45 Post by Gatchaman »

I didn't think I would like this episode, but it turned out to be one of my favorites of the whole series. The waterworks were definitely flowing a couple of times. The scene between Magnum and T.C. was classic. I watched it three times because it epitomized their relationship. The funniest part is T.C. telling Magnum life would be a lot easier if one just tells the truth, and the first thing he does next is lie on the telephone to Big Tony. Magnum's smile is awesome.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#46 Post by K Hale »

steveadl wrote:Here's a question I have out of left field: is Eve Anderson the person up the palm tree throwing coconuts down to Higgins? I freeze framed it but couldn't tell.

I ask as I remember reading a while ago on Rick Romer's blog that he remembers her climbing the trees and recalls her doing it for an episode of the show once. Or am I remembering wrong and making this up? :lol:
It looked like a man to me.

In "Ms. Jones," Higgins is the one up the tree, but in the shots from the ground, of course someone was doubling for Hillerman, and that could well have been Eve Anderson.

All I have to say about this ep is that Eileen Brennan was an incredible actress and I wish a couple of minutes had been carved out for Miss Babcock and Higgins to have a brief scene together.
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

502-to-right
Lieutenant Commander

#47 Post by 502-to-right »

What horrible episode. A complete stinker. Soap opera garbage for a character who does not deserve this level of background story. If they're going to do a story on Carol Baldwin have it involve something like a murder mystery.

Probably my least favorite episode ever, which is amazing given how strong most of season 7 and 8 are. At least I'll never have to watch it again... I'd rather watch the tennis episode 10 times over than this (season 3 - Mixed Doubles).

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by charybdis1966 »

When I saw this was a Baldwin-centric episode I was expecting not to like this one - AND I DIDN’T !
Total slush and mush lavished on the least likeable recurring character so I gave this one a “5” rating, the only time I’ve ever used the lowest rating.

Aside from Higgins incredulity at TM washing the car the only other thing that jumped out was the background extras in the final courthouse scene.

After TM picks up some of the scraps of the envelope given to Baldwin’s biological mother three people walk down the stairs behind him.

First there comes a woman, then a guy in a suit then there’s a bloke in a short sleeved shirt who pauses half way down the steps then continues after a couple of seconds - looks like he missed his cue ! 😁