6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
7%

Total votes: 59

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

JJ Quincannon wrote:... Big Tony's is the car rental place that ... Magnum has TC call ... to locate Carol's mother (biological). This was a little strange for me ... because I was adopted as an infant and ... never thought of searching out my birth mother because it was probably a hard decision for her but the best ...
Thanks, JJ Quincannon! A car-rental sticker makes a lot more sense than a pizza-parlor sticker. That's what I get for commenting on an episode that I haven't seen for a while!

It's great that you were raised in a loving home, and I'm sure your birth mother is glad that someone else could give you what she was unable to give you. She probably wonders what has become of you, but as you say, may prefer to maintain the status quo.
Carol

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Thomas mentions Carol's Porsche in Pleasure Principal. When he is considering buying her VW Golf, she says he is acting weird and he says she is too: "Using your inheritance to buy a Porsche!" Then a couple eps later, she's driving the Porsche. The producers, writers, and creators were excellent at foreshadowing; even fairly minor stuff about what kind of car someone drove!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Thanks for noticing that, MLS! As you say, the writers, et al. were clearly paying close attention to detail, something that's sadly lacking in some shows. Even though this detail could easily have been overlooked by the audience, since it spanned a few episodes, they kept it consistent.

That being the case, I really do wonder how they envisioned the Magnum - Sullivan family tree!
Carol

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#34 Post by nha trang »

This was a better than expected episode, while I never liked the episodes with Carol in them (I think she whined too much) her character is a little bit less annoying with the background that this episode provides. I think that's one of the things that annoyed me about Carol before, she was always around and the viewer was expected to somehow give a damn about whatever her crisis was this time. Most of the other characters had to work a lot harder and divulge a lot more of their backgrounds to gain our concern

Well, finally I guess the writers decided, in the last season, to make some sense of the Carol character by providing us with some character material, not just some public defender who for some reason has gray hair and then doesn't.

It was a good episode, I think in some ways it is the feminine equivalent of the Magnum story - I mean the Magnum male hero family drama business (his dad, Michelle, Lily). Both Magnum and Carol's personal histories are impressive and the family controversies cut to the core of the character and would seem to require a lot of courage and persistence to overcome.

That's always been one of the more inspirational parts of the show for me, displaying character in the face of adversity.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#35 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

I can't get over a supposedly well-adjusted woman in ther late 30s having a hissy fit after discovering, and I'm quoting here, that her father wasn't perfect.

Sorry, sweetheart, but if by the time you're a teenager you don't know that your father is not perfect you're emotionally stunted.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

Well, she did find out that her mother wasn't really her mother. That could cause more than a hissy fit.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: The Love That Lies (8.6)

#37 Post by marlboro »

IslandHopper wrote:Is it just me, or does Celeste Holm (Carol's Mom) remind you of Darren Stevens' mother in "Bewitched?"
Me too. My first thought "Wow, she has really aged well."

I have never cared for the character of Carol Baldwin, and I usually want a little more action or mystery in an episode of Magnum, but I actually thought this was a good one. Mainly due to the excellent acting by Kathleen Lloyd in the beach scene and by Eileen Brennan in the courthouse scene.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#38 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This one was alright. It was not one of my favorites, but I didn't exactly hate it either. I just didn't totally understand Carol's biological mother not telling him whom it was she was trying to find rather than making up a false baby. Had she known that Carol and Magnum knew each other and was testing him? Was it a coincidence that they knew each other and she wasn't sure if he could find her? It was kind of odd to me. The scene where TC told Magnum that he'd get farther telling the truth seconds before telling a huge lie to Big Tony was hillarious. I also really enjoyed the chase scene that ended with Magnum taking out the coconut stand.

J. Rickley Schneider
Lieutenant

#39 Post by J. Rickley Schneider »

I wish they would've told us more about Forrest Bingham.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by Little Garwood »

I voted "The Love That Lies" [8.5 "Very Good"].

It's the best Carol episode and also has the best Kathleen Lloyd performance in such an episode. Lloyd's second-best performance was as Bridget Archer in the equally moving "Almost Home", from season three.

Eileen Brennan was what I refer to as "deceptively" beautiful. She was a knockout in LAUGH-IN's first season, but she of course will forever be remembered to those of us of a certain age for her role as Captain Lewis in Private Benjamin. Brennan's role here could easily have flown off the rails and exploded prematurely like that poorly-timed explosive charge in "Paradise Blues." Instead we were treated to a superb, perfect performance in every way without a trace of embarrassing melodrama.

I liked when Thomas took charge in that final scene and brought Carol and Abigail Baldwin together. Sometimes two stubborn people need someone even more determined than themselves to help make things right, and Thomas did that. It was amusing when he also chose the restaurant! A nice, sweet ending to an enjoyable episode. :magnum:

A tip of the Tigers cap to the entire cast in this one.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Neil Peel
Lieutenant

#41 Post by Neil Peel »

This is one of, if not the best "melodrama" episodes of the whole eight series. We have followed these characters for a long time (30+years in my case) and to see them battle with their consciences and suffer emotionally was very moving.

On a different note, I'm not happy about highlighting the following point but it seems to be a major flub that has been missed. In the car park scene, when Magnum instructs Keogh Palmer to tell his boss Forest Bingham to "lay off", Palmer responds by saying "Who the f@!# is Bingham?" I'm sure it's supposed to be "Who's Forest Bingham?", but it certainly doesn't sound like it and the lip movements don't match either. I hope I'm mistaken - this can't have happened in our beloved Magnum P. I., can it?

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by KingKC »

I think this episode was just filling in the details of Carol Baldwin's life the same way Tiger's Fan filled in the details of Tanaka's life (posthumously) and somewhat the same way Missing Melody filled in the details of TC's like. Much unlike others I liked Kathleen Lloyd as Carol Baldwin and Eileen Brennan is a superb actress who really helped make this show. It was clearly the most memorable Carol-centric episode and probably the best.

KingKC

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

Eileen Brennan is terrific in this, even if the big 80s hair doesn't help the already-heavy subject matter. :P

And how has no one on here brought up Rick in drag pretending to be Carol yet? :lol:

(Excuse the play button there.)

With that wig, he looks like a late 70s/early 80s arena rocker. :lol: (I'm torn on whether he'd fit in better as a member of Journey or Foreigner. :P)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#44 Post by J.J. Walters »

Oh, wow! Totally forgot about that scene! LOL!... I'd say he fits more in with Night Ranger (inside joke to the longtime members. You know who you are). :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#45 Post by Gatchaman »

I didn't think I would like this episode, but it turned out to be one of my favorites of the whole series. The waterworks were definitely flowing a couple of times. The scene between Magnum and T.C. was classic. I watched it three times because it epitomized their relationship. The funniest part is T.C. telling Magnum life would be a lot easier if one just tells the truth, and the first thing he does next is lie on the telephone to Big Tony. Magnum's smile is awesome.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon