No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
7%

Total votes: 59

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

The Love That Lies (8.6)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for The Love That Lies (8.6). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 11/18/1987
When Carol receives death threats, Magnum moves in with her and her mother and becomes entangled in her professional and private life.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

This one really surprised me. I remember not liking this as a teenager, but now, as a middle-aged adult, I love it! I'm glad they decided to do one more "Carol-centric" episode before the end.

What a great guest star combo in this one - the always wonderful Eileen Brennan and Broadway star Celeste Holm. And Kathleen Lloyd was just fantastic here. Those last 15 minutes....wow. Better bring a Kleenex box.

Sigh.... I really wish they had Magnum and Carol hook up at the end of the series. They seem like they would be a great couple.

And I love the Baldwin House. Gorgeous!

Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

I also like this episode much more now then I did when it was first aired. I think at that time I always associated Eileen Brennan (Brenda) as the demanding Captain in "Private Benjamin." The only thing I would have changed about this episode was the scene early in the episode where the woman throws the tomato at Carol as she exits the Courthouse. Carol bends down and picks it up as if to throw it back at the lady, but Magnum intervenes and stops her. I would have loved to have seen Carol peg that lady with the tomato. Cooler heads prevailed.

Is it just me, or does Celeste Holm (Carol's Mom) remind you of Darren Stevens' mother in "Bewitched?"

I don't really buy the premise that Carol was born in 1955 and is only 32. She has always seemed much older than that primarily because she has a very responsible job, and always seems to be the mature one in the group (along with Higgins), not to mention the touch of gray hair she has had since her first appearance in season 3.

The building we see as the CIRCUIT COURT building with the address of 465 is used again. We have seen this same building many times over throughout the series with different names, but always the same address (465), e.g., HAWAII METRO POLICE in "The People vs. Orville Wright"; KEKUANAOA in “Luther Gillis: File #521.“ The name of the building changes, but the address number (465) remains the same, as I'm sure this is the real address of the building. Anyone know what street this building is on? I'm sure RC can find it. :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#4 Post by golfmobile »

Okay, RC, add the Baldwin House to my desired map . . . . (or am I becomimg a broken record here? But, remember, folks, YOU might be going to Hawaii too, eventually, and you too will want to go see all these places -- I hope!)

golf
"Portside, buddy."

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by MPS »

This episode was soooo good. Loved getting the background on Carol. Celeste Holm did a wonderful job as Carol's somewhat misguided mother.

Magnum P. I. had some impressive guest stars throughout the years. Celeste Holm and Frank Sinatra (Laura) come to mind immediately.

Just a screen cap of the two of them in one of my all time favorite movies, High Society.
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#6 Post by rubber chicken »

Whoops, James and Golf, you posted the location request way back in March but I've only just read this thread since I watched this episode for the first time today. I hold off on reading anything about episodes until I've seen them, so if there's any other requests concerning the rest of the season I'll be getting to them as soon as I see the particular show. :?

The house is located here in Manoa (2234 Kamehameha Avenue).

It was built in 1906 by Frank C. Atherton (born in 1877) and wife Eleanor, and donated to the University of Hawaii by the Atherton children in 1963, thus becoming the residence of the president of the university (UH at Manoa is just a few blocks south east). The house is known as College Hill.

Here are some additional links:

Honolulu Star Bulletin - 11-2-2001 (UH president renovates the residence at a cost of $1 million)
Honolulu Star Bulletin - 8-5-2004 (UH president fired in part because of the spending on the residence)
Honolulu Star Bulletin - 10-3-2004 (UH president set to leave residence)

This page mentions a "Pacific Council" meeting at the home on July 12th & 13th, 1927 (search for "F. C. Atherton")

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#7 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, VERY interesting! Great find rubber chicken!

Carol certainly grew up in a posh residence!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#8 Post by SelleckLover »

IslandHopper wrote:
I think at that time I always associated Eileen Brennan (Brenda) as the demanding Captain in "Private Benjamin."
If you would like to see Eileen Brennan when she was young, rent the movie The Sting. (She plays a waitress.) Excellent movie BTW! I believe this was the second pairing of Paul Newman and Robert Redford. My husband and I went and saw this movie 5 times. This was back when there were no VCR's and you had go to the theater and pay each time to see it. We liked it THAT much! :D

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#9 Post by golfmobile »

SL,

My old and fading memory may be playing tricks on me, but I think in "The Sting," Eileen Brennan was Paul Newman's "girlfriend" who was the bordello madam in the building where the carousel was that the "girls" like to play on when they weren't "working." Paul Newman did the maintenance on it, and Robert Redford's character gave him some grief about that (he was wasting his grifter talents doing maintenance on a machine, or some such argument). I also don't recall her looking very young and not "rode hard and put up wet" in that movie. She wasn't that much younger in The Sting as opposed to At Long Last Love (1973 vs. 1975).

I don't know that she ever looked young and innocent, come to think of it! She was on Laugh-In for a few episodes, according to imdb, but I don't remember her on it, though she would have been about 5-6 years younger then. I think she's probably always been type-cast as the tough broad, though she was always good at it! Loved her in "Murder By Death" too.

As for Newman and Redford, give me "Butch Cassidy" any day. That is in my Top Ten movies of all time. I didn't like "The Sting" as much because it was actually the same plot that was done in an "Ironside" one-hour episode a year or so before The Sting was made!!!! Probably no one remembers that but me, but I was appalled when so much was made of The Sting, and it wasn't even original -- it had been done on TV. I don't know which episode of Ironside it was, but if I had time to read the plot synopses for them all, I could maybe find it -- just don't have time right now.

golf
"Portside, buddy."

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#10 Post by SelleckLover »

golf,

Your memory is most probably way better than mine, as my brain was deprived of oxygen when I had my heart attack last October! I just remember seeing The Sting on TV recently and thinking that she looked so young to me. That was just my impression. :D

P.S. Never watched Ironside, so that's probably why we liked The Sting.

SL

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#11 Post by Frodoleader »

Just watched this again tonight. I agree with the comments by others here. But I think my favorite part was when Magnum bent down to pick up a piece of the torn check, on the floor of the courthouse. You can see that although he wears a three piece suit, he has no socks on! Thats our TM!!
BTW, what kind of car did Carol drive? In the scenes when it appeared, it was always dark and I could not make it out.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

Jaybird
Admiral

#12 Post by Jaybird »

This episode deals with Carol's birth mother coming back after 30+ years.
The acting is superb and the actor's really portray a depth that is often missing in some episodes.

I am glad that the character of Carol, the state prosecutor, was dealt with in this serious fashion before the series ended. She has been an important character in many (how many I wonder!) episodes and it was proper to give her a show where the fans got a deeper glimpse into just who she was.

Plus we are treated to a classic interaction, Higgins surprise at Magnum's washing the Ferrari while TM tries to hide the real reason. Classic!!

I gave it a 9 but I could have just as easily voted 9.5!

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#13 Post by rubber chicken »

Frodoleader wrote:BTW, what kind of car did Carol drive? In the scenes when it appeared, it was always dark and I could not make it out.
It looks to me like a Porsche 944 (here's another link). Possibly a 1987, but I'm not sure if there's any way to tell exactly. Maybe someone else knows more about it.

Carol must have been doing well! And with her house on the beach in Kahala too...

(I turned up the brightness for these screenshots:)
Image Image
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#14 Post by Doc Ibold »

Actually, whats interesting is that Hillerman's real life pal, Eileen Brennan was in this.

Its amazing what you can pick up in the "Print Media" section of the site!

:D

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#15 Post by Frodoleader »

Thanks RC. At first glance I was wondering if Carol drove a black Ferrari. The logo on the hood looks similar to the Ferrari type. In a later scene, TM meets Carol at the beach, parking his car next to hers. Carol's car is clearly taller than the Ferrari, leading me to believe she does not drive one.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan