6.0 (Pretty Bad)
3%
5.0 (Just Awful)
6%

Total votes: 71

Honolulu Lulu
Lieutenant

#21 Post by Honolulu Lulu »

Well . . . I guess I'm just a pushover for the comedy episodes, including this one. It makes me laugh, so I like it. If I think about it, my expectations are higher for the dramatic episodes and their guest stars.

Firefly makes a good point about Thomas beating Susan to the shack. But I think you are right, Carol, we have to assume he knew the short cuts and Susan didn't.

Anyway, glad you responded to my post! Thanks and remember, as one of my other favorite guest stars once told Magnum . . .

"Beauty knows no pain!" :D

Lulu
Rack em up!

steveadl
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by steveadl »

Not the best episode but I still enjoyed it. Definitely agree with JJ, must be the best delivery of 'Oh my God!' from Higgins in the series. :D

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#23 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I like this one. Its funny and campy. It does seem like just an excuse to get Carol Burnett back on the show and I like Rembrandt's Girl better, but this one has its moments, too. T.C's recorded narration on the chopper tour with the Rabbi is absolutely hilarious! As far as how Susan got a Ferrari, her dad was a counterfeiter, right? Ha! And TM's comment "I got mine for free" cracks me up.

Tuan Vu
Captain

#24 Post by Tuan Vu »

After reading some of the other comments and reviews on this episode, I was about to just skip it, but then decided to watch a little bit of it and wound up thoroughly enjoying the whole hour!

Yes, it was campy, but it was intentionally campy and silly! For me, it was even funnier than "Rembrandt's Girl". I can't help laughing about the Private Detective kit Sue got (complete with a magnifying glass!).

Also funny was the scene where everyone is sitting in the room together but no one wants to drink from their glass because they suspect it might be poisoned or something.

Another memorable scene is when Magnum has the flirtatious encounter with Julie Marsh and Sue's reactions to witnessing their interaction (and being completely ignored by Julie as if she wasn't even there). I thought the comedic timing and acting was great.

This is just one of those you don't take seriously...and just sit back and enjoy.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by nha trang »

Wow, what a stinker of an episode! Not only does it feel like a rehash of the previous episode, Rembrandts girl, I am also REALLY sick of watching overreacting, whining career women turned private "dicks" or detectives or whatever it is they want to be called that's not "private investigator!"

Sorry if that's harsh, but excuse me if this isn't a complete rehash of the one with meter maid annie potts wanting to be all growed up and a police officer or a detective or whatever it is/was.

Ok, ok, ok, sorry if that was too harsh for our female fans, but this episode seemed to me to just be a one-off in the final season to please the female fans that like to swoon over selleck and have a fantasy of running around with him in their own ferrari.

Wake me up for the next good episode...lol

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#26 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

DarCA wrote:I loved this episode. Of course I love everything Carol Burnett and
Tom Selleck do. I thought the way they made Carol over the top as a detective was really good. I loved when they met in the warehouse and she asked him if he was a "sort of good looking guy".
Actually she says "average looking guy", which is a lot funnier.

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#27 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

MagnumsLeftShoulder wrote:I like this one. Its funny and campy. It does seem like just an excuse to get Carol Burnett back on the show and I like Rembrandt's Girl better, but this one has its moments, too. T.C's recorded narration on the chopper tour with the Rabbi is absolutely hilarious! As far as how Susan got a Ferrari, her dad was a counterfeiter, right?
In Rembrandt's Girl she had an ethical dilemma about accepting junk gifts from her dad, so accepting a Ferrari would be totally out of character. Besides, at he end of Rembrandt's Girl we learn that her dad has reformed and now paints porcelain plates for a living.

I also found the fact that Susan is now a private detective too contrived.

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#28 Post by Kevster »

Yeah, I guess that I'm in the "this one kinda sucks" camp...

I love TS and CB, but CB just doesn't bring it in this episode. Writing, directing, or acting, it all led to something just not fitting for me...

I also like how the two of them are shot at on the "front" side of the cabin, and they walk around to the "right rear" of the cabin to fid the shell casings. Curving rounds again!!!!
Trust Me!!!

txz045
Lieutenant

#29 Post by txz045 »

I didn't dislike the episode, but it was less-enjoyable than I had anticipated. The Higgins OMG was most definitely a hightlight 8)

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by MaximRecoil »

Thomas Magnum: I bent the firing pin hammering my way out of the storage room.
Selleck must have cringed when he had to say that line, considering he knows guns in real life, and that statement is utterly absurd to anyone who's familiar with a 1911. It is impossible to bend the firing pin in a 1911 no matter how much you hammer on something with it, because it is housed in a hole drilled from the back of the slide through to the breech face (back of the ejection port area). Additionally, it is a spring-loaded floating firing pin, so it has its own "suspension".

So, to bend the firing pin, you'd have to bend the rear portion of the slide, which is nearly an inch thick of 4140 ordnance-grade tool steel. Not only is that impossible by using a gun as a hammer, but a 1911 subjected to enough abuse to bend the rear section of the slide would be "totaled" by default.

Additionally, the firing pin is one of the easiest parts to replace on a 1911; it can be done in less than 30 seconds with no special tools (you just need something like a sharpened pencil, or a toothpick, paper clip, or countless other similar items that can be found around the house, to push the firing pin in while you slide the firing pin retaining plate down with your finger), so it wouldn't have required the services of a gunsmith.

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#31 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Okay, so it was a goofy episode. I didn't cringe, but it certainly didn't have me riveted. You can tell that the two of them enjoy working with each other, and it's fun knowing that they're having fun. But the goofy comedy takes too much away from the mediocre script. This leaves us with a mediocre episode, with a few good scenes.

There are a few episodes like this where there is a clear decision to have fun and forget about the story - The Treasure of Kalaniopu'u comes to mind. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: A Girl Named Sue (8.7)

#32 Post by marlboro »

I don't think the Magnum writers really tapped into Burnett's comedic potential. I think it would have been interesting if, instead of going to the Lucky Steele school, Carol Burnett had become a protege of Luther Gillis. I think she would have been hilarious doing a 60 minute impersonation of Gillis.

I would have also loved to have seen Tim Conway cameo as a Miss Jones type character.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#33 Post by J.J. Walters »

...and Vicky Lawrence as Shelly Faraday, with a special guest appearance by Harvey Korman as Milton Collins! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

szilard
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#34 Post by szilard »

I know what you're thinking, and you're right: Rosalee Mayeux is SO CUTE! :wink:

+ "I don't ordinarily let a man take a look at my trip sheets until the second date. But, um..."

Stelth
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#35 Post by Stelth »

MaximRecoil wrote:
Thomas Magnum: I bent the firing pin hammering my way out of the storage room.
Selleck must have cringed when he had to say that line, considering he knows guns in real life, and that statement is utterly absurd to anyone who's familiar with a 1911. It is impossible to bend the firing pin in a 1911 no matter how much you hammer on something with it, because it is housed in a hole drilled from the back of the slide through to the breech face (back of the ejection port area). Additionally, it is a spring-loaded floating firing pin, so it has its own "suspension".

So, to bend the firing pin, you'd have to bend the rear portion of the slide, which is nearly an inch thick of 4140 ordnance-grade tool steel. Not only is that impossible by using a gun as a hammer, but a 1911 subjected to enough abuse to bend the rear section of the slide would be "totaled" by default.

Additionally, the firing pin is one of the easiest parts to replace on a 1911; it can be done in less than 30 seconds with no special tools (you just need something like a sharpened pencil, or a toothpick, paper clip, or countless other similar items that can be found around the house, to push the firing pin in while you slide the firing pin retaining plate down with your finger), so it wouldn't have required the services of a gunsmith.
MaximRecoil: I'm so glad you wrote this post because it saved me a lot of time and you said it better than I could have. The "bent firing pin" was such a stupid reason for his gun being out of commission. I was eagerly waiting for the episode to end so I could see if anyone else realized how dumb it was. I liked this episode better than "Rembrandt's Girl" but that's not saying a lot.