The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company (8.9)

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the eighth season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

How Would You Rate This Episode?

10 (Perfect!)
No votes
9.5 (One of the Best)
2%
9.0 (Excellent)
6%
8.5 (Very Good)
11%
8.0 (Pretty Good)
23%
7.5 (Decent)
22%
7.0 (Average at Best)
14%
6.5 (Not So Good)
8%
6.0 (Pretty Bad)
6%
5.0 (Just Awful)
9%

Total votes: 65

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

Re: The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company (8.9)

#31 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This one was pretty bad and felt out of place after Unfinished Buisness. I wonder if they filmed this one before Unfinished Buisness, but aired it after in an effort to bring the mood of the show down a little bit after such a dark, dramatic episode.

None of the plots made a lot of sense. Rick being so worried that his girlfriend may have had Thomas as a client at some point? Higgins re-writing his book to add more emotion and excitement? Some woman holding a romantic dinner in her office after hours to hear a buisness pitch? TC's son having an unexplained and unreasonable desire to join a gang despite them getting him put in jail multiple times? Bryant going out in a boat for no apparant reason while the gang mysteriously vanishes without mention? None of it makes sense.

The running gag with the easle would've been great if they had used it in a better/more logical episode. I did like TC's struggle to figure out how to be a father to the son he'd not had regular contact with in years, but it made me wonder if TC would've totally changed had they done just a few more episodes. I doubt he'd have risked himself as much knowing he was a single father with a son at home.

EZiller
Captain

#32 Post by EZiller »

Other than the appearance of Lani [!!!!] the only thing good about this episode was the title. If they had just stuck with the premise of "TGHAC" and had a group of dorky tourists that TM and the gang were showing the islands with Sarah-the hot looking marketing exec of Paradise Airlines, who would have everything go wrong on their trip. Perhaps because they were being sabotaged by Sarah's jealous ex?
Anyway, something along this premise could have been entertaining-but instead this was a mish-mash, mostly having to do with TC and his strained relationship with his son. As someone pointed out, they evolved TC's character over the years into a very boring guy, who didn't drink or chase women and spent his leisure time coaching kids at baseball and football. This may have been to contrast him with some of the stereotype blacks on TV in the 70's and 80's who played fools like like Huggy Bear [Starsky & Hutch] or JJ [Good Times-"DYNO-MITE"] but I find the TC-centric episodes to be rather dull.

And what is with setting up Rick for a courtship of Cleo-a hooker? And Rick dresses up like Mister Rogers for his date with her???

6, a lousy episode.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by KingKC »

Up until yesterday I would have agreed that this was a weak episode with a pretty silly plot and poor sub-plots. It seemed like one of the lighthearted "fillers" that come along every once in a while. But now I am not so sure.

MagnumFan has posted a Topic called "If Not For Michelle" that raises the question of why TM went back to the Navy and I have posted a response. In this thread Shermy used the word "mature" which got me to thinking and Doc Ibold mentioned something about building to a crescendo for Resolutions which got me to thinking even more. (I love all the posts and opinions!)

Could this be an episode with a lot of hidden meanings and reflections of not only what is to come but what has happened?

TM is clearly trying to use his friends for his venture like he has for many years. Maybe the writers and purpose of this seemingly late episode was to equate The Great Hawaiian Adventure to TM trying to be a private investigator and succeeding, if you will, only with the constant help of his friends as crutches. But this time TC, Rick and Higgins all have their own lives to live and don't wish to participate in TM's venture and pretty much get the point across this time. TM may realize he has to go it on his own in the future and the future of being a private investigator is sure failure. (Someone in another thread also mentioned how your friends tend to slip away as all of you get older and go your own ways which helped my thought process.) Also, maybe TM now realizes that he was no more than "beefcake" to many of his female clients when a romantic dinner is planned to listen to his spiel. (I never quite understood that dinner situation.) He sees the handwriting on the wall and yes we are building up to Resolutions. TM eventually resolves that the Navy life was best for him. It gave him maturity from its structure and regimen. Was he pushed along by fatherhood and Lily?....maybe...possibly...probably. You decide.

Maybe I seeing too many "pictures in the clouds." Who knows???

KingKC

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by T.Q. »

Think there's a flub.

Rick was complaining about Magnum being late and never being on time and he said meeting was set for 3 o'clock. So we presume it's a bit after 3pm? :magnum:

But Higgins says he has no time for this since he has to be at post office before 3pm which means he probably should have left at 2:30. :higgins:
Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#35 Post by brianw »

A bad episode, but for some reason I liked it. And I cant explain it.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#36 Post by T.Q. »

When you're done serving that Chi Chi an Old Düsseldorf in a long neck please.

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

Luther's nephew Dobie
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Luther's nephew Dobie »

T.Q. wrote:When you're done serving that Chi Chi an Old Düsseldorf in a long neck please.

T.Q.,
Thanks for the above. I couldn't quite put my finger on what seemed to be missing from the Magnum PI reboot(besides the obvious).
Then you posted the above.
The reboot doesn't have all the ridiculously attractive women in minor roles or in the background shots. For instance TM and Rick
and TC would be talking at a beach side table and every single woman walking by was a ten.
I guess times have changed and I am out of step but I prefer the Hawaii of fantasy in Classic Magnum. The above waitress alone can
almost redeem a turkey like The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company episode.
To quote the great philosopher Ed Norton, "Ralphy boy, as we say in the sewer, va-va-va-voom."