6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
7%

Total votes: 90

308GTS
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by 308GTS »

I think that dick butkus has missed the point somewhat. This episode was obviously designed to be an homage to 'Raiders' in a Magnum PI style. I thought they did a hilariously brilliant job, copying the film almost scene by scene.

Not on of the best episodes but still hugely funny and entertaining. I guess you have to be a Raiders fan well to appreciate it.
Arun
------

"The only thing that's going to touch you is a 10ft pole"

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by lutherhgillis »

For me, Margaret Colin was reason enough to like this episode...

Wow! :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink:

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#23 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I watched this again last night with my wife. It was pretty entertaining and she said she thought TS would've made an excellent Indiana Jones. I often wonder if they ever thought about making the whole episode a dream sequence?

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

#24 Post by ConchRepublican »

James J. Walters wrote:Wow Sherm, that's a blast from the past! I never had that one in my Atari collection, but I remember a friend of mine did. Even then, it was a strange, confusing little game!

The Indy game that I will always fondly remember is the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom coin-op arcade game (1985). I used to play that all the time at the local arcade, along with Zaxxon, Xevious, Galaga, Tron, etc. It's a really fun, exciting game - whipping Thugee's, racing through mine shafts....

I miss those times, hanging out at the arcade. ;)

I still can't believe they never made a MPI pinball game.
Bringing back memories!!!! I had a pattern for Zaxxon which let me play for over a half hour on one quarter! Until you got bored and strayed off the path of course.

Galaga was another one. Leave one of the ships (one that shoots) for last on the first screen and let it pass you by for I think it was 32 times. After that, it stops shooting at you. When it stops shooting, take it out and after that none of the other screen will have shooting Galatians. One guy turned the score over on the machine this way!

Then there was the D&D game. I remember when, on a boring afternoon, we'd splurge for a roll of quarters each and play all afternoon!

The elf needs food, badly!!!

Yeah, I'm a geek . . .
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#25 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Zaxxon was one of my favorite games. I also liked the John Elway Qb game. Me and a buddy of mine could play that game forever!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#26 Post by golfmobile »

Conch,

Would you believe that my husband, Larry, and I were so hooked on Galaga, even into the early 1990s, that I bought a full-size arcade game that we had in our dining room! If I recall correctly, I never got over 2 million points, but I think his record was something like 8 million. After that, he lost interest -- well, I guess so!

And we tried the let-the-ships-go-past-you-32 (or 37) times, and that never worked for stopping the shooting on our machine or any other one we tried.

What was the name of the game that started with the eight space stations (I guess they were) lined up four each side vertically and you moved up, shooting through them, then the screens changed after that for each round? I can't remember the name of that one, but I got pretty good at it (well, as good as reasonably could be expected at The Mesquite Tree bar while drinking margaritas). I pretty much mastered the first PacMan game by learning all the patterns to run (again with the assistance of frozen margaritas at Carlos Magee's . . . . amazing what tequila does for your memory and motor skills!) :lol: :P

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#27 Post by IslandHopper »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:Zaxxon was one of my favorite games.
Zaxxon was one of my favorite games too. I believe the Zaxxon game (along with many other classic games from the '80s) can be seen in "Jororo Farewell" when the guys go to the Arcade to look for Danny.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

SelleckLover
RENLEDUN, Protectrix of the Realm

#28 Post by SelleckLover »

I'm so NOT a gamer! :oops:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#29 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, who knew there would be some kind of correlation between Magnum fans and Zaxxon! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#30 Post by J.J. Walters »

Hey RC, any idea where this spot is located?

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#31 Post by rubber chicken »

I believe "The camp." is located here on the property of Bellows Air Force Station. It's difficult to be 100% certain, but a number of clues point to this location being correct.

It doesn't look like much in the google maps aerial photo partly because the area has become overgrown, both in the middle of the "camp" area and the section of the dirt road that was seen in the show.

This 1949 aerial photo shows "the camp" more clearly. (From the top of the image, look 1/4 down and a bit to the left of center.) And in this .pdf file, the dirt road, now only partially visible in google earth, is shown on the "1940" and "current" maps.

(I finally got around to watching another episode of season 8, congratulations me...)
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#32 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, great find RC! The place seems so isolated in the episode, yet it has a golf course on one side and an airstrip on the other!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#33 Post by golfmobile »

That's one of the golf courses we played, very close to where we stayed.

From this view, the "camp" would be over to the left of Larry, teeing off on the 18th hole.

:wink:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#34 Post by rubber chicken »

They certainly did pick their shots very carefully throughout the run of the show. Bellows also seemed to be the location of the other outdoor adventure scenes in this episode btw.

And golf, I noticed that if you follow the brook on the property where you stayed, it eventually flows into Waimanalo Stream, which flows about 500 feet from this location at one point. Fascinating eh? :wink:

arri
Lieutenant Commander

#35 Post by arri »

this is the kind of cheese that made me flick to the Cosby show. It was really bad acting and writing. Just way over the top. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the show but am amazed at the lack of "middle ground". For example, in a different category, Seinfeld was my favorite. Some of the more forgettable shows, still had some moments. Magnum's shows were either super good or super cheesey and stupid.

Just my opinion. At least the women were all pretty good-looking