7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
7%

Total votes: 90

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Legend of the Lost Art (8.10)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for Legend of the Lost Art (8.10). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 2/10/1988
Higgins is determined to find a priceless ancient scroll that he believes was created by a highly advanced culture.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dick butkus
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#2 Post by dick butkus »

I am sorry, but I really didn't enjoy this episode very much. Maybe I had expected it to be more like the real Indiana Jones and Selleck would be more like Harrison Ford. I havenät seen this episode for years though, but I recall I didn't particularly liked it.
Wasn't it to much humour, too funny? Or am I wrong? I my memory deceived me?
But I do beleive though that Tom Selleck would have been an excellent Indiana Jones if he was to play that role like Spielberg wanted at first.

Tralfaz
Admiral

#3 Post by Tralfaz »

Really?

I love it! Certainly in my top Ten. You can't make a parody of something and be very serious, can you?

T

Hmm,

What else is in my Top ten??

Limbo
Holmes is Where the Heart is.
Did you See the Sunrise?
Laura
Home from the Sea
Paper War
Memories are forever
Way of the stalking Horse
???
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

VM02
Rear Admiral

#4 Post by VM02 »

This one is definately in my top 10 too. It definately an odd Magnum episode though. Very Campy.
I love the "Hero" voice that TM uses throughout the ep.

I think that as a spoof/homage to Raiders of Lost Ark, it is brilliant.

Trust me.

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#5 Post by golfmobile »

Tralfaz,

Isn't Operation: Silent Night one of your favorites too?

golf
"Portside, buddy."

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#6 Post by Shermy »

I'm a huge fan of Raiders, so this is easily one of my favorite episodes. I love how our introduction to Connie is via a dance contest- a clever nod to Marion Ravenwood's drinking game. And kudos to whoever came up with the "whip falls short of the gunman" joke. :lol:

It's also interesting that the spoof occurs for "real", instead of relying on previous devices like dreams or novels. This is similar to The Black Orchid, although with the added benefit of having everyone involved in the fun.

maggiepoole
Captain

#7 Post by maggiepoole »

Here you can have the gun, I have the whip! :wink: :D
Hilarious!!!!!

I love the Magnum tantrum at the beginning. Will our boy really ever grow up? Still wondering how he lost the shoe?

So, I wonder if Magnum was playing the Raider's of the Lost ark atari video game. You remember that one?
Trying to reach my full snail potential.

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#8 Post by Shermy »

maggiepoole wrote:So, I wonder if Magnum was playing the Raider's of the Lost ark atari video game. You remember that one?
I actually bought one from ebay a few years ago, and it's definitely something that would've annoyed Thomas. :D

Here's a vintage "how to" videothat explains how to complete it. The game was so convoluted it's not even funny. I wonder how many kids attempted to play it without a manual? :lol:

VM02
Rear Admiral

#9 Post by VM02 »

Wow that really takes me back. I played that on my Atari too. I had to buy a hint book to solve it. (pre-internet) A pity I threw all that stuff away.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#10 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow Sherm, that's a blast from the past! I never had that one in my Atari collection, but I remember a friend of mine did. Even then, it was a strange, confusing little game!

The Indy game that I will always fondly remember is the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom coin-op arcade game (1985). I used to play that all the time at the local arcade, along with Zaxxon, Xevious, Galaga, Tron, etc. It's a really fun, exciting game - whipping Thugee's, racing through mine shafts....

I miss those times, hanging out at the arcade. ;)

I still can't believe they never made a MPI pinball game.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

maggiepoole
Captain

#11 Post by maggiepoole »

VM02 wrote:Wow that really takes me back. I played that on my Atari too. I had to buy a hint book to solve it. (pre-internet) A pity I threw all that stuff away.
Yep, I had the hint book. Who didn't!? :roll:
Trying to reach my full snail potential.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Bam! There it is!! The greatest Magnum episode of all-time!!! In my humble opinion, of course. ;)

This episode has everything that makes the show so great - action, comedy, mystery, excitement, zaniness, great lines, great locations, etc. - but times ten! This is really a two-hour movie crammed into a :46 minute episode! It's one fun, action-packed scene after another. It never lets up!

I just love the brilliant setup here - We're going to pay homage to Raiders of the Lost Ark (a film Selleck could have been in if not for his contractual obligation to MPI), but we are going to set it up so TM and the gang think the events might be based (staged) off other, unexpected (to the viewer) classic movies! And Jay Huguely does a GREAT job with the script. It's almost perfect. I can't wait to check out his commentary on the DVD.

Boy, Selleck sure must have had a lot of fun with this one. I'm sure they all did! What a great way to go into the final episodes..... with a bang!

And I really liked Margaret Colin here. She did a really great job.

"The Lost Art of the Ancients", I love it!

Note to Self: Add Perils of Nyoka (1942) to your Netflix queue.

:D

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#13 Post by Doc Ibold »

I liked the running gag when everyone said "Ark" and Higgins corrects them a split second later with "Art"

Tralfaz
Admiral

#14 Post by Tralfaz »

My favorite parts of this episode, and I agree with James and it may well be my favorite... are the fact that while paying homage to Raiders they go out of there way to show Magnum clearly never thinking of it as the obvious film being emulated by Ridley -Smythe, as if he has never even heard of it :P and the end when he throws away the Fedora, grabs his Tigers hat and sits on the stairs. A gesture that speaks on multiple levels in the character, the actor and even to the fans. "As much as I might like to be /have been Indy, that's not me. I am Magnum and that's just fine with me..." :)

Love it.
"..outasight!.." - Tyler Peabody McKinney

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Tralfaz wrote:and the end when he throws away the Fedora, grabs his Tigers hat and sits on the stairs. A gesture that speaks on multiple levels in the character, the actor and even to the fans. "As much as I might like to be /have been Indy, that's not me. I am Magnum and that's just fine with me..." :)
Great observation Tralfaz! I love how he kind of does a "sigh of relief" and then smiles just after he puts on the baseball cap!

What a great way to end this wonderful, wonderful episode!