6.0 (Pretty Bad)
7%
5.0 (Just Awful)
7%

Total votes: 90

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#31 Post by rubber chicken »

I believe "The camp." is located here on the property of Bellows Air Force Station. It's difficult to be 100% certain, but a number of clues point to this location being correct.

It doesn't look like much in the google maps aerial photo partly because the area has become overgrown, both in the middle of the "camp" area and the section of the dirt road that was seen in the show.

This 1949 aerial photo shows "the camp" more clearly. (From the top of the image, look 1/4 down and a bit to the left of center.) And in this .pdf file, the dirt road, now only partially visible in google earth, is shown on the "1940" and "current" maps.

(I finally got around to watching another episode of season 8, congratulations me...)
Last edited by rubber chicken on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#32 Post by J.J. Walters »

Wow, great find RC! The place seems so isolated in the episode, yet it has a golf course on one side and an airstrip on the other!
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#33 Post by golfmobile »

That's one of the golf courses we played, very close to where we stayed.

From this view, the "camp" would be over to the left of Larry, teeing off on the 18th hole.

:wink:

golf
"Portside, buddy."

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#34 Post by rubber chicken »

They certainly did pick their shots very carefully throughout the run of the show. Bellows also seemed to be the location of the other outdoor adventure scenes in this episode btw.

And golf, I noticed that if you follow the brook on the property where you stayed, it eventually flows into Waimanalo Stream, which flows about 500 feet from this location at one point. Fascinating eh? :wink:

arri
Lieutenant Commander

#35 Post by arri »

this is the kind of cheese that made me flick to the Cosby show. It was really bad acting and writing. Just way over the top. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the show but am amazed at the lack of "middle ground". For example, in a different category, Seinfeld was my favorite. Some of the more forgettable shows, still had some moments. Magnum's shows were either super good or super cheesey and stupid.

Just my opinion. At least the women were all pretty good-looking

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#36 Post by N1095A »

golfmobile wrote:That's one of the golf courses we played, very close to where we stayed.

From this view, the "camp" would be over to the left of Larry, teeing off on the 18th hole.

:wink:

golf
You guys are lucky. I was on the golf team in High School, but haven't played golf since my early 20s. Must have been beautiful playing in paradise.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Frodoleader »

Hey golf! I am curious: where did this shot land? from the looks of the path of the ball (which you can estimate based upon the "streak" effect from the slow camera shutter speed) I am thinking this shot went a little left.

:lol:
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#38 Post by golfmobile »

Probably on the right side of the fairway! Larry has a wicked slice, so he tends to aim left and hope that the ball will land in the fairway -- and half of the time it's STILL out of the fairway to the right! The other half of the time it actually goes straight so it's WAY off to the left. When we play golf up in the mountains of north Georgia, all the deer move from the woods into the middle of the fairway when they see Larry on the teebox because they've learned that's the safest place for them to be!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#39 Post by J.J. Walters »

LOL!!

golf on golf is always uproarious! :)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Carmen
MPI

#40 Post by Carmen »

:D :lol:
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

AJL
Commander

#41 Post by AJL »

Haha, I thought this one was embarrassingly bad at times, and I rated it "pretty bad". I know the common consensus is that Magnum P.I. never jumped the shark, but this episode sure seems close to me. Since when did Magnum P.I. turn into a tacky, unfunny parody show???
Anyway a lot of people seems to be enjoying this episode, so maybe it is just me :)

EDIT: Oh by the way, here is a review of the Atari Indy game you guys were talking about, by the Angry Video Game Nerd:
http://screwattack.com/AVGN/2008/Indy
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by lutherhgillis »

Cheers AJL,

I may not think this one is a jump but I agree it is a hop. They did not do this for ratings or to hang onto a losing show for one more season (that's why it is not a jump). They did this just to have fun and because the writing and the series direction had suffered a lack of clarity in everyones' minds IMHO. This one is a stand alone episode. I think it was for laughs only. I enjoyed the sense of adventure but I admit that it was pretty silly.

Would TS have made a great Indiana Jones? I'm not sure. I believe he probably would have. Could Harrison Ford have made a great TM? Maybe so. The two are similar in their acting styles to me. For me, for you, for them, for me, for Randy Jackson, I would say TS could have been a huge star in the Indy films and that HF could have been huge in MPI.

Thoughts?
Who's Dot Matrix, and what has she got to do with this?

AJL
Commander

#43 Post by AJL »

lutherhgillis wrote: I may not think this one is a jump but I agree it is a hop. They did not do this for ratings or to hang onto a losing show for one more season (that's why it is not a jump). They did this just to have fun and because the writing and the series direction had suffered a lack of clarity in everyones' minds IMHO. This one is a stand alone episode. I think it was for laughs only. I enjoyed the sense of adventure but I admit that it was pretty silly.
I agree with you on this.
I guess its just a hit or miss episode for most people.
I for myself, could not picture MPI having the same success with Ford as TM, but hey, you never know :)
As far as Indy Jones goes, I guess Selleck could have pulled it off just as good as Ford, but I'm not really a big Indiana Jones fan (which maybe one of the reasons for my lukewarm opinion on this episode), so I don't know.
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

gmt16750
Captain

#44 Post by gmt16750 »

Hillerman could have been an amazing inspecteur Clouzeau (Pink Panther french inspector) with french accent this time ;)
Agatha: Why does he always do that, Jonathan?
Higgins: I don't know, Agatha. I think sometimes our creator is testing me. Indeed it could be for no other reason. If i thought otherwise i believe i truly would go irrevocably irretrievably mad!

Zudobug
Lieutenant Commander

#45 Post by Zudobug »

I thought this episode was just plain silly. A show that largely portrays itself as a serious show (serious as far as TV detective shows go anyway) should never make a parody episode. It just makes it the laughing stock of TV land and the reputation of the show suffers as a result.