6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 77

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#11 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I guess since I live near the Tidewater (a few hours away) area I think nothing of hearing Tidewater when someone mentions it, but I can see the frustration to someone that isn't familiar with what they call the area. I think Virginia Beach would've been a good hometown for TM. He could've honed his beach volleyball and swimming skills in the area.

I also think it is interesting there is a University of Virginia pennant on his wall and no Naval Academy pennant.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#12 Post by MACattack »

I think it most likely that Thomas Magnum is really from Hampton Roads, because thats where some scenes were filmed at during 'Coming Home' and 'Resolutions'.
I just don't give a damn!

MPS
Fleet Admiral

#13 Post by MPS »

MACattack wrote:I think it most likely that Thomas Magnum is really from Hampton Roads, because thats where some scenes were filmed at during 'Coming Home' and 'Resolutions'.
Thanks so much, MACattack!! It's nice to, finally, give TSM IV a hometown. :D
Higgins: You've washed the car?! How extraordinary. Why would you do such a thing?

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by Seaver41 »

Hampton Roads consists mainly of the city of Norfolk, VA.......home of the US Naval base.........

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#15 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Seaver41 is correct. Hampton Roads is an area of Virginia. They never really pin point the hometown of Magnum.

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#16 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I found a flub I haven't seen mentioned before and, if it has, I apoligize. They throw Magnum a surprise birthday party. Well, it must have been a pretty cold August in Virginia for Magnum to have had on a sweater and leather jacket!

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#17 Post by Tom_Magnum »

Heh, that's a pretty good flub IKnowWhatYoureThinking. I never realized that because i was too caught up in the episode. But ya, on the DVD it does cut out the bar scene. I just don't know why. :?

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:I found a flub I haven't seen mentioned before and, if it has, I apoligize. They throw Magnum a surprise birthday party. Well, it must have been a pretty cold August in Virginia for Magnum to have had on a sweater and leather jacket!
And gloves and a scarf!

Nice spot IKWYT! I'm not sure whether this would be a flub or just a note, because this confuses Magnum's date of birth even more!

In "Try to Remember" Magnum's birth date is given as 8/8/44. Bellisario has confirmed (somewhere, I can't remember where now) that 8/8 is indeed the correct date (Bellisario's own birth date is 8/8). The year is still disputed, however. In "Letter to a Duchess" his age is mentioned as 38, which would make his birth year 1945. In "Forty" we see Magnum celebrating his 40th birthday which would put his birth year at 1947. Ah, but what about "Memories Are Forever"! In "Memories" we see his drivers license, where his date of birth is shown as 1/5/46! January!

I guess since the 8/8 is "canon" this would be a flub.... sort of. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#19 Post by Doc Ibold »

Plus, not to mention he was 6 yrs old in "Home From The Sea"..where he became the 1950 San Diego Water-Treading Champion

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#20 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I knew there were several years that were supposed to be his birth year, but I had always assumed August as his birth month. I think this, as well as other Magnum mysteries, boils down to the writers not fact checking pst scripts. You can't really blame them though. Who would've known there'd be people like us going through episodes with a fine tooth comb.

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Frodoleader »

I could have sworn I've asked this question before, but I don't see it on this thread or the one for part 2:
What is with the left-handed salute at the Tecumseh statue at Annapolis? It has always intrigued me.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#22 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Wikipedia had this:

In times past, the bronze replica was considered a good-luck "mascot" for the midshipmen, who threw pennies at it and offered left-handed salutes whenever they wanted a 'favor', such as a sports win over West Point, or spiritual help for examinations.

I guess that doesn't really explain why they salute left handed, but it offers what is is for.

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#23 Post by MyGod! »

Sigh, the run is almost over. Watched this last night, and I concur that the Virginia setting never did much for me, or for TM itself it seems.
I ranked this episode fairly well almost entirely because of Linda Lee Ellison. I can see why others would be annoyed when a woman with very little backstory with TM was sropped into the culmination of the series. However, I for one am glad the writers picked her, she just strikes me as TM's penultimate type, and the sexual tension is palpable, something that cannot be said with those godawful Dana Delaney episodes and others. Also, looks-wise, she is great, and I was impressed that this actress from New Mexico could convincingly pull off playing a Chinese news reporter. Not too happy that I've now watched all 8 seasons, sigh, I guess I'll start cherry-picking some of my favorites to watch again! Viva la Magnum!

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#24 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I think I have said thisbefore, but why is the barscene cut out on the DVD?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking

#25 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I just got Season 8 less than a month ago so I haven't had a chance to watch it. I'm disappointed to hear the bar scene has been deleted!