6.0 (Pretty Bad)
No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 77

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#21 Post by Frodoleader »

I could have sworn I've asked this question before, but I don't see it on this thread or the one for part 2:
What is with the left-handed salute at the Tecumseh statue at Annapolis? It has always intrigued me.
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#22 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Wikipedia had this:

In times past, the bronze replica was considered a good-luck "mascot" for the midshipmen, who threw pennies at it and offered left-handed salutes whenever they wanted a 'favor', such as a sports win over West Point, or spiritual help for examinations.

I guess that doesn't really explain why they salute left handed, but it offers what is is for.

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#23 Post by MyGod! »

Sigh, the run is almost over. Watched this last night, and I concur that the Virginia setting never did much for me, or for TM itself it seems.
I ranked this episode fairly well almost entirely because of Linda Lee Ellison. I can see why others would be annoyed when a woman with very little backstory with TM was sropped into the culmination of the series. However, I for one am glad the writers picked her, she just strikes me as TM's penultimate type, and the sexual tension is palpable, something that cannot be said with those godawful Dana Delaney episodes and others. Also, looks-wise, she is great, and I was impressed that this actress from New Mexico could convincingly pull off playing a Chinese news reporter. Not too happy that I've now watched all 8 seasons, sigh, I guess I'll start cherry-picking some of my favorites to watch again! Viva la Magnum!

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#24 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I think I have said thisbefore, but why is the barscene cut out on the DVD?

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#25 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

I just got Season 8 less than a month ago so I haven't had a chance to watch it. I'm disappointed to hear the bar scene has been deleted!

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#26 Post by MyGod! »

What happens in the bar scene?

Tom_Magnum
Personal Guest of Robin Masters

#27 Post by Tom_Magnum »

I have no idea why it is deleted (Universal is too cheap to put the whole episode on one stupid disc). I don't know what happens in the bar scene MyGod because I never saw it during television syndication.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#28 Post by N1095A »

Early in the episode TM asks his mother if she remembered Maggie Poole. He then says he worked with her at Naval Intelligence. TM met Maggie in "Did You See The Sunrise?" long after he resigned from the Navy.

TM's mother introduces him to his grandfather as LCDR Thomas Magnum. TM was never a Lieutenant Commander, He was a Lieutenant when he resigned, and promoted to full Commander when he was reinstated in "Memories Are Forever".
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Agatha
Baroness of Oahu

#29 Post by Agatha »

I never know what to do with a 2-part episode. I tend to think of them together so don't know which one to comment on. Am deciding, in this case, to comment on the 2nd one...maybe because this first part feels like such a set up for the second one...

"Toby Continued"

:)
Isn't the ocean beautiful at sunset? So soft....so peaceful...so romantic!

hotel detective
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#30 Post by hotel detective »

A quick thought on the birthday flub. Since TM worked in intelligence it is possible that there are several birthdays floating out there and the one he celebrates in Virginia is the correct one, whatever month it is. It is also possible that the party is not necessarily taking place on his birthday. It is a surprise party so it could be anytime.

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by MACattack »

To all those people who haven't seen the deleted bar scene: I'll explain because I have the original DVD when it came out in 2008.
Magnum, T.C., and Higgins took Rick out to a strip club for his bachelor party. He said: "Thanks guys for bringing me here!".
"Well it was your idea, Orville!" T.C. replied. Everybody was having a good time when Rick mentioned Cleo. A tall stranger with a moustache (played by Tim Russovich) said "Yeah, she's the hottest number in town!" Rick stood up to defend her honor. The big bully smirked and knocked Rick out. Magnum stood up and said "what the hell!" and socked the guy. He turned his head back and punched Magnum, making him fall over comically. Higgins and T.C. got into the mix, and Higgy-baby yelled out "Hi-yah" as he attempted a Kung Fu move. The bully threw Higgins across the room. Everything breaks out into a big bar brawl, then it cuts to another scene: The gang hanging in front of the clu, sitting on the curb bruised and laughing about the whole ordeal. Where was the sirens of the approaching police?
Maybe they cut the scene because it doesn't make sense!
I just don't give a damn!

MACattack
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by MACattack »

P.S. I can't remember the name of the club. I'll watch the episode tonight, and blog it tomorrow. Peace out.
I just don't give a damn!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#33 Post by Doc Ibold »

MACattack wrote:To all those people who haven't seen the deleted bar scene: I'll explain because I have the original DVD when it came out in 2008.
Magnum, T.C., and Higgins took Rick out to a strip club for his bachelor party. He said: "Thanks guys for bringing me here!".
"Well it was your idea, Orville!" T.C. replied. Everybody was having a good time when Rick mentioned Cleo. A tall stranger with a moustache (played by Tim Russovich) said "Yeah, she's the hottest number in town!" Rick stood up to defend her honor. The big bully smirked and knocked Rick out. Magnum stood up and said "what the hell!" and socked the guy. He turned his head back and punched Magnum, making him fall over comically. Higgins and T.C. got into the mix, and Higgy-baby yelled out "Hi-yah" as he attempted a Kung Fu move. The bully threw Higgins across the room. Everything breaks out into a big bar brawl, then it cuts to another scene: The gang hanging in front of the clu, sitting on the curb bruised and laughing about the whole ordeal. Where was the sirens of the approaching police?
Maybe they cut the scene because it doesn't make sense!
When did they delete that bar scene? If they did... I'm glad I got MY version, cause I think thats one of the better parts of the finale... and Higgins even admits one of his stories was stupid.

I know the DVDs cut the ANNAPOLIS bar scene, but I didn't know they deleted the Hawaii one too.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#34 Post by J.J. Walters »

No, only parts of the ANNAPOLIS bar scene were cut, not the strip club scene! No one in their right mind would cut the strip club scene! ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Frodoleader
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by Frodoleader »

James J. Walters wrote:No, only parts of the ANNAPOLIS bar scene were cut, not the strip club scene! No one in their right mind would cut the strip club scene! ;)
Yeah...the strip club scene...that was something else!!
:twisted: :oops:
"You are three months at Dak Wei and still you crack jokes?" - Ivan