1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 97

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

Re: Resolutions (2) (8.13)

#131 Post by charybdis1966 »

I would like to be fully able to comment on this episode but the channel showing it here in the UK, ITV4, decided to finish it’s run of Magnum PI with Resolutions Part 1 – if proof were ever need of the idiocy of TV channel programmers. So annoying, so I had to come here to moan about it !

However I Youtubed the closing credits sequence and noticed something about the end title music I had to share with you that points to another little detail proving the care taken by the makers of the programme.

On the standard MPI iconic theme ( http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/magnum_pi.mp3 ) it ends with what to me sounds like the quickish guitar riff raising a question which is answered by the rest of the band/orchestra in a way which doesn’t resolve the chord progression, to me the original theme ends in a way that brushes aside the “question” raised by just picking up the speed and repeating a rising motif that peaks to the closing chord.

In the closing titles for Resolutions ( http://magnum-mania.com/Audio/magnum_pi ... finale.mp3 ) the piece is in a slower tempo but it’s the ending which I noticed, this time a slower version of the “question” asked in the original then is, to my untutored ears, answered and the chord progression, after 161 episodes, finally answered.

I may have misread/misheard this and musical analysis is probably best left to those that know it much better than me, but that’s how it sounds to me and it allows me to say: Bravo Mike Post!
Last edited by charybdis1966 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#132 Post by 308GUY »

Very astute musical observation!

I agree wholeheartedly, and Idon't think I could've described it anywhere near as accurately.

Credit to Post and Carpenter, unless they had outside/additional help for the closing theme.

Another reminder how music affects us, most the time without our being aware of it.

Ever in a dept. store where they didn't have "muzak" playing over the P.A.?

Music speaks to the deeper parts of us, even if we're not cognizant of it doing so.

Remember the music in Mad Buck Gibson when he launches from the hill? I do.

Nice post Charybdis....sorry to hear the programmers for the station that shows MPI there ignore "logic".

Talk about waiting for the other shoe to drop! :magnum:

Maybe they were trying to be "Magnumesque" by just leaving in the middle of your concentration.....naaaaa.............they just must not be Magnum fans, or they only look at time slots, not content.

Maybe they'll show it at a later date? :lol:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#133 Post by charybdis1966 »

308GUY wrote:Very astute musical observation!

I agree wholeheartedly, and Idon't think I could've described it anywhere near as accurately.

Credit to Post and Carpenter, unless they had outside/additional help for the closing theme.
Thanks 308GUY, I'm glad at least one person saw what I was getting at and I like those kind of details the show always had.

I'm hopeful I'll get to see the 2nd part in full at some stage - it'll be worth the wait !

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#134 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

As far as I know at this point, even the new UK Blu-ray set uses the edited version for this episode. If you can get a hold of the German Season 8 set though, you'll find the full version there. :)

#1 Buzzettes Fan
Lieutenant

#135 Post by #1 Buzzettes Fan »

It is interesting how I finally finished the watching the show 30 years after it originally aired. I suppose it was meant to be since now I am the same age as Magnum in '88.

I enjoyed the heartwarming wedding scene but overall these final two episodes were sort of a hodgepodge of events. What I really found frustrating was that Magnum completely screwed up with Linda Lee. She was so sweet and just getting over the accident when TM sleeps with her and bails! Then he was still checking out Diana at the police station. Man, that was just bad writing. Linda Lee was #1 in my book. Don't do her wrong. The only good thing about that subplot was the crazy Zoolander looking guy. Lol

I was also very surprised that Carol didn't already know about Lily. The editing was crazy here. Maybe they were just indecisive on how to wrap it all up.

The end credits on part 1 are bad digital transfers and the credit fonts were changed to digital of some sort.

So sad to see it all end of course! All of my old friends are drifting away in real life too after our late thirties brought more pressure to grow up. What an amazing show. While I won't be watching the reboot, I can only hope it inspires our youth to respect our veterans and country like the original did. Will the new Magnum still be reading National Review?

TSMIV
Vice Admiral

#136 Post by TSMIV »

Hi all,

I’ve just finished watching Resolutions (Parts 1 and Parts 2) and felt compelled to share some thoughts with the only folk would understand where I was coming from - my fellow Magnum Maniacs! :D

Like many of the other posters to this thread, I had never watched ‘Resolutions’ before - I started university in 1988 and, with the benefit of hindsight, can only guess that I must have been consumed with other priorities at the time (how young, foollsh and misguided I must have been back then :wink: ). Accordingly, I was a little nervous when I loaded the DVD into the TV on Friday night - what would be the conclusion to my favourite show of all time?

I won’t venture into the territory of debating my ‘likes’ and ‘dislikes’ of the final episode - I could not do justice to the thoughtful, insightful and eloquently articulated missives of many of the earlier posts in this thread.

However, I will comment on the absolutely amazing emotional resonance that this show still holds for me 30 years after it last aired - an emotional resonance that was only reinforced by the ‘Resolutions’ I have no idea as to the drivers of this ongoing emotional attachment - maybe it’s the fond memories of the Saturday night ritual of watching the show with my late Mum and Dad, maybe it was Magnum’s escapist ability to transport me way from any pangs of teenage angst or concerns about whether I would do in my final exams. Alternately, the emotional resonance may have sprang from far more superficial drivers - my envy of Magnum’s idyllic tropical lifestyle, his snazzy car and his beautiful girlfriends! 8) All that I can say with certainty is that I continue to love this show to this day.

Thus endeth my clumsy analysis of the beneficial impact of MPI on my psychological well being :!: :magnum:

Gatchaman
Lieutenant Commander

#137 Post by Gatchaman »

Greetings! I’m sure this has been discussed but I cannot find it. In the final scene with the TV remote, does the tag on the uniform say MAGNUM or SELLECK?

Thanks.
Commander of G-Force
Magnum's Secret Weapon

brianw
Rear Admiral

#138 Post by brianw »

Sad..... although the show had pretty much run its course, I hate seeing things like that end, as the show was a HUGE part of my childhood. I did not particularly like the finale, but was glad to see a more happy ending (I think) as opposed to TM's death. The bar fight scene was probably the last great comedic moment.

I don't know what else to say about it, it left me feeling a bit empty.

T.Q.
Fleet Admiral

#139 Post by T.Q. »

Never commented on the finale.

I remain disappointed in the episodes.

A rare 7.5 (Decent)

For many of the reasons others here expressed so won't rehash.

Quite frankly, the last 4 episodes of the series have always been bit disappointing and unfulfilling to me.

Knocking my rubber chicken or my sloppy habits is within the rules, but you're attacking my character. I would like to think you don't mean that.

80s Big Hair
Admiral

#140 Post by 80s Big Hair »

T.Q. wrote:Quite frankly, the last 4 episodes of the series have always been bit disappointing and unfulfilling to me.
That tends to be true about most TV shows at the end of its run. Magnum, P.I. was especially prone to this because it had already been cancelled after the seventh season. Season eight was a sort of bonus season because people did not like how season seven ended. There really was not much incentive to make season eight great, other than pride in your work.

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

#141 Post by LZeitgeist »

[quote="Gatchaman"]Greetings! I’m sure this has been discussed but I cannot find it. In the final scene with the TV remote, does the tag on the uniform say MAGNUM or SELLECK?

Thanks.[/quote]

Just finished watching my DVD boxed set on a 4K UHD player on a 50" 4K TV, and while there was only a single word on his engraved nametag, there was not enough recorded resolution to tell either way. It was a fuzzy, white blur.

Perhaps a remastered Blu-ray edition will show enough detail to finally know for sure.

Gearhard
Lieutenant Commander

#142 Post by Gearhard »

Commenting on a couple items:
- Why bring in Captain (Grandpa) Magnum? Because he is the ghost of Christmas Future. If TSM IV doesn't change his ways, he will become like the Captain. Standing up friends on appointments, running away from commitments, and globe trotting for no apparent reason except to escape a previous relationship.

- Why Luther Gillis in Transitions? Similarly, Luther has kept to his PI (excuse me... Private Investigator) career above all else and has lost Blanche to a man who could commit to her. It is also foreshadowing to Resolutions.

- Is this the first that TSM has worn the Trident insignia for the Seals? I don't recall seeing him wear it before. I'll check Blood &Honor (S6, E10) . Still no Combat Action Ribbon for Magum, which is hard to understand given that he is a Navy Cross recipient for valor in engagement against the enemy.

- I couldn't check the ribbon alignment on Buck Greene, because there wasn't a clear look in this episode. There were significant, ever changing wardrobe flubs on Buck's ribbon placement in Unfinished Business (S8, E8).

- So, having gone thru all the episodes during this year, the ones I saved on DVR to watch again:

J Digger Doyle (S1, E17): I once lived near the Stairway to Heaven trail, Magnum carrying Higgins over his shoulder is a laugh, and well...Erin Gray in a bikini.

Blood & Honor (S6, E10). Magnum returns to uniform

Way of the Stalking Horse (S6, E17): Magnum gets shot and pay backs are .. well pay backs. It shows a darker side of Magnum.

Limbo (S7, E22): Higgins insists that Magnum return immediately, and TSM keeps walking into the clouds. His saying good bye to his friends and Michelle is powerful stuff.

Infinity & Jelly Donuts: (S8, E1) I'd like a pint of stout....because it is time for more paybacks.

Unfinished Business (S8, E8): More dark side Magnum.

Resolutions 2(S8, E13): the wrap up.
I think the Linda Lee sub-story is to show Magnum is putting his new career and then Father to Lilly ahead of dating the next pretty girl to come along.

Also, I think the story arc could include Magnum and Lilly remaining at the estate. Magnum resigned before he knew that he would be raising Lilly. I'm sure that Robin Masters (or Higgins...if that is his real name) would tear up the resignation letter. The lads and Lilly could be great playmates with Uncle TC, Uncle Rick, and Aunt Carole. And Mister Higgins would tutor Lilly in the Queens English. I'm sure JQH speaks perfect French and Vietnamese (in several regional dialects).

Thumbs up on Resolutions to set TSM on a new path of adventure and have a happy ending (well.. except for Rick when Cleo gives him what-for for screwing the vows). Glenn

Hamilton
Ensign

#143 Post by Hamilton »

Is Linda Lee Ellison one of Rick's bridesmaids?

frao51
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#144 Post by frao51 »

Does anyone know if the original broadcast version is available anywhere? The syndicated versions are included in 'The Complete Eighth Season' DVDs and 'The Best of the 80s: Magnum P.I.'

Edit: it looks like the only way we can watch RESOLUTIONS in all its two-hour glory is the German DVD final season set, just purchased so I'm willing to tell you if it's true.

frao51
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#145 Post by frao51 »

Well, it's true! The German edition does include the full episode in English and German with English and German subtitles, the episode title is in German (Die Lösung Teil 1 and then Die Lösung Teil 2) but the opening and the end credits are in English.