1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 98

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#21 Post by IslandHopper »

Shermy wrote:
IslandHopper wrote:Magnum was a great private investigator too, but the problem with that, is that he never had two nickels to rub together.
I always felt that was due more to personal choice than personal failing, though. If Magnum had really wanted to increase his bank account, he had plenty of opportunities to do so over the years. Instead, he never really thought twice about passing up a large paycheck or losing one altogether. I'm reminded of his line in "The Curse of the King Kamehameha Club", where he admits that owning a ferrari just wouldn't be as much fun to him. In a way, that kind've sums up the entire premise of the series.
I agree with you to a point (I don't think Magnum is a failure), but if that is the case then why did Magnum take the dead-end job as a hotel detective, or try to learn to fly helicopters so he could move to Oklahoma and work for an oil company, or try to start The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company? I don't think there is any right or wrong answer here. I think this just illustrates the many inconsistencies of the writing. It is similar to the question of whether Higgins really is Robin Masters. If you only watched the last 4 seasons of MPI, you would probably say yes, Higgins is Robin Masters, but the problem with that is the writing in the first 4 years of the show eliminated any possibility that Higgins is Robin. I don't think the writers thought of that possibility until year 5. Unlike many shows today, I don’t believe that MPI had a usual staff of writers that would write for the show. My impression is that there were dozens of different (freelance?) writers throughout the series, which would account for the inconsistencies in the show. Hey, we're still talking about it all these years later, so somebody must have done something right. :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#22 Post by Shermy »

IslandHopper wrote:I don't think there is any right or wrong answer here. I think this just illustrates the many inconsistencies of the writing.
I'd say we're probably more in agreement than disagreement here. If the ideas had been given enough time to develop, either approach (detective agency; Navy) could've made perfect sense within the context of the entire show. Heck, we may have even cared more about Tidewater. :lol:
IslandHopper wrote:Hey, we're still talking about it all these years later, so somebody must have done something right. :)
And ultimately, I think all the little inconsistencies add to the show's laid-back charm. It's a reminder that this stuff is really just supposed to be fun. :)

Shermy
Resident Clutterbuck

#23 Post by Shermy »

James J. Walters wrote:I had forgotten just how awesome that strip club fight scene is! Definitely the best brawl of the entire series! It's almost three minutes long and the whole gang is involved! I'm still shocked they were able to sneak by the censors with that topless dancer. You can clearly see her breasts at two different points in the fight!
I think that definitely may qualify as a "Classic Scene". I love the 'aftermath' where Magnum points out, "We can't go back in there again." :lol:

It also perfectly illustrates why the show never really "jumped the shark": From the pilot episode to the finale, the focus was always on these four characters working together. As (`Nam era) Magnum said in the pilot, "Can't break up the team." :)

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#24 Post by IslandHopper »

Shermy wrote:And ultimately, I think all the little inconsistencies add to the show's laid-back charm. It's a reminder that this stuff is really just supposed to be fun. :)
Well said Shermy. I agree 100%. :)
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#25 Post by J.J. Walters »

Excellent points all around guys! Great discussion on this series finale!

I noticed that no one has brought up the "Magnum dying in the haunted house theory". I personally don't see how it's possible given that T.C. actually talks to him at the wedding ("So, what did you do? Re-up?"), but in viewing the scene again (after 20 years) it is VERY interesting/perplexing how they set the whole thing up. Magnum sure looks like he is stabbed by the expression on his face. We then see blood drop on Linda Lee's scarf. Then, and here is what is really interesting, we see the fadeout to white! This is exactly what was used in "Limbo" when he "dies". We then see Magnum in Navy Whites (with a new haircut) come running into the wedding.

I'm sure it's all just for building up the tension - we're suppossed to briefly believe that maybe he was actually killed. It's just very odd that they would set it up in this extreme manner. If he was stabbed, he sure recovered quickly!

By the way, does anybody have any info on the haunted house/funhouse that was used? Is it even a real one, or was it a set design?
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#26 Post by Doc Ibold »

James J. Walters wrote:Excellent points all around guys! Great discussion on this series finale!

I noticed that no one has brought up the "Magnum dying in the haunted house theory". I personally don't see how it's possible given that T.C. actually talks to him at the wedding ("So, what did you do? Re-up?"), but in viewing the scene again (after 20 years) it is VERY interesting/perplexing how they set the whole thing up. Magnum sure looks like he is stabbed by the expression on his face. We then see blood drop on Linda Lee's scarf. Then, and here is what is really interesting, we see the fadeout to white! This is exactly what was used in "Limbo" when he "dies". We then see Magnum in Navy Whites (with a new haircut) come running into the wedding.

I'm sure it's all just for building up the tension - we're suppossed to briefly believe that maybe he was actually killed. It's just very odd that they would set it up in this extreme manner. If he was stabbed, he sure recovered quickly!

By the way, does anybody have any info on the haunted house/funhouse that was used? Is it even a real one, or was it a set design?
Hey guys,

I don't think Magnum dies at the end. I think they wanted to MAKE us think he died (i.e. a "NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" scenario). Otherwise, I always looked at this episode as not being that well written, but just an excuse to have as many people as possible in the final episode. Tidewater was wholly unnecessary, as was the grandfather. It seems like TCs scenario was thrown in at the end. However, the episode isn't entirely without merit. The reunion w/ Lily and the strip club brawl definitely make this episode work for me. To quote Wayne's World this is the "mega happy ending" whereas Limbo was the "bummer" ending.

:lol:

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#27 Post by IslandHopper »

I agree with Doc, that all these scenarios were designed to include as many former cast members and guest stars as possible. I'm glad they did include as many former guest stars as they did. It's too bad that Lt. Tanaka wasn't there. I still don't know why they felt the need to kill him off. I don't think TC's reconciling with his ex-wife is that far fetched since they already discussed that possibility in "Missing Melody." Actually, when I saw that scene with TC and his ex-wife, I was a little surprised they hadn't already reconciled, or at least had more discussions about it because of the Missing Melody episode.

Carmen
MPI

#28 Post by Carmen »

Just read all 3 pages of this very interesting discussion.
3 weeks ago I watched Resolution I think for the first time and found it amazing how much I can enjoy and dislike it the same time. I don`t have to tell why, it`s all said before here.IMO, they just wanted to find some kind of ending for the characters and did some good and some bad jobs.

Needles to say, I started immediately with season 1 again...
Thank God for DVDs 8)
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#29 Post by Doc Ibold »

Carmen wrote:Just read all 3 pages of this very interesting discussion.
3 weeks ago I watched Resolution I think for the first time and found it amazing how much I can enjoy and dislike it the same time. I don`t have to tell why, it`s all said before here.IMO, they just wanted to find some kind of ending for the characters and did some good and some bad jobs.

Needles to say, I started immediately with season 1 again...
Thank God for DVDs 8)
Hey Carmen, I do that too. Its a nice way to relive the series all over again. It does take you a little bit aback when you go from "Happy Higgins" in Season 8 to "Tyrant Higgins" in Season 1.

But you're that much better for the trip!

tshoffie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#30 Post by tshoffie »

it was both well done and sad to me...well done as usual i love all magnum episodes but sad because i knew the show was ending....but at least now i have the dvds so i can watch them...the only other show that i miss as much as i do magnum would be Mash..LOL i think im really showing my age here but i look at tv today and to me its not half as good as what used to be on

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Steve »

It's hard to believe that May 1st, was the 20 year anniversary of the showing of "Resolutions". I still vivdly remember the build up of excitement for me as there were reports that many of the guest stars would be returning for the final. Was I ever dissapointed that it never really happened. I was truly looking forward to Luther H. Gillis calling Higgins the Butler one last time, perhaps seeing Carol Burnett again and Annie Potts as well (among others). I find the episode very good at best, did like the fight scene in the strip club as others had mentioned, and liked the ending with TM walking down the beach with Lilly and clips from various shows being played. I didn't much care for the entire stalker thing going on as I wanted more "resolutions" to be taking place and I do recall yelling at the TV "Oh, god no, nat again!" when you saw the blood dripping on the scarf and the screen going to white. What did Bob Seger say in "Like A Rock".....Twenty years, where'd they go.......

Steve
Chicago

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#32 Post by N1095A »

Why on earth would Rick invite Buck Green/e to his wedding? Don't get me wrong, I liked the character, but after the despicable things he's done, and the fact that he isn't a friend of any of the main characters I think he'd be the last one invited.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Carmen
MPI

#33 Post by Carmen »

You liked the character?!

Maybe Magnum invited Maggie and she brought him along, cause,ahmm - no, why`d she do such a thing??

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#34 Post by N1095A »

Let me qualify that. I liked Buck for what he was. He was a good antagonist. Lance Legualt played the role very well.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Carmen
MPI

#35 Post by Carmen »

:D I see
I was really surprised reading you liked him :wink: