6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 97

AJL
Commander

#101 Post by AJL »

IKnowWhatYoureThinking wrote:When Magnum and his grandfather are in the guesthouse smoking cigars I found another flub. When Magnum clips the head off his cigar there is no band on it, but when he lights the cigar there is a band.
Just a few more observations regarding this scene from a cigar smokers perspective:
Actually the one he clips is not even close to being the same cigar. The color of the wrapper is lighter, and it seems to be a figurado (pointed head), while the ones they smoke are londales.
As for the cigars they smoke, if they really are cubans, I'm pretty sure it's a Montecristo No. 1.

http://www.cigars-review.org/Montecrist ... o-No-1.htm
Was vaccinated with a phonograph needle one summer break
Same summer that I kissed her on her daddy's boat
And shot across the lake
Singing all the way...
Oh I say mama
Living Ain't a luxury
Oh I say mama
And a lil' ain't enough for me

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#102 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Fom the band I assumed they were smoking Monte #1's. The figurado he clips is strange though. It isn't a #2 for sure. It looks more like a machine made.

burny
Commander

#103 Post by burny »

might be a flub - i noticed this when i found the video section of this site and
watched the original airing end credit sequence. Devon Gaurd, a small player
who appeared i think in 3 other magnum episodes (the look, who is don luis...,
and the sixth postion) ....never appears in resolutions II.....not that i can spot anyway, but appears in the final credits as playing "Devon".
Perhaps it was a scene that was cut(?) and they didn't remove the
credit.....perhaps somebody can correct me....

Also.....perhaps I didn't pick up on this even though i have watched the entire
series many times, ....doesn't Lily seem too young to be his daughter?
Is her birth date ever broached in the series? Seems she would have been
born during the run of series and not before.

Thx

Burny

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#104 Post by Pahonu »

burny wrote: Also.....perhaps I didn't pick up on this even though i have watched the entire

Thx

Burny
She was born during the course of the series. Magnum and Michelle slept together in Memories are Forever in season 2 and she was conceived then.

burny
Commander

#105 Post by burny »

Pahonu wrote:
burny wrote: Also.....perhaps I didn't pick up on this even though i have watched the entire

Thx

Burny
She was born during the course of the series. Magnum and Michelle slept together in Memories are Forever in season 2 and she was conceived then.
thx P - for some reason in my memory, Lily already existed at that point.

MagnumsLeftShoulder
Fleet Admiral

#106 Post by MagnumsLeftShoulder »

I watched the finale last night for the second time in a decade and like many of you, I was disappointed. There are things in it I like and quite a few things I dislike. I'll start with my dislikes first:

1. The manner that Lily is brought back. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Lily is alive and Thomas gets to raise her; but the the way she is returned is too simplistic. I wish the entire episode had focused on the investigation and search for her. I mean where has she been since the car bombing and who has been caring for her? Its like Thomas asks Maggie to look into it and she goes back to NIA and opens the file cabinet and there she is! It could have been so much meatier!

2. Thomas returns to the Navy. My main problem with this is Lily. I don't think anyone believes Thomas Magnum was going to be a "desk jockey" the rest of his career. Who was going to take care of Lily while he was away? Not so sure a return to the Navy was really what he wanted, anyway. My theory has always been that the whole "33 never been 23" really was the main reason he left (along with his war issues). I think as he aged he began to realize he had missed out on youth. Straight from high school to the Academy (not your typical college kid experience) and straight from the Academy to war. He may have also questioned if the Navy was his idea or just what was expected of him from a Navy family and community. Not that I think he regretted joining, but that he really was done with it and wanted to try to recapture some of what he had missed out on.

3. Rick and Cleo getting married was weird. I'd like to think Rick came to his senses! Even Icepick thought this was stupid.

4. Linda Lee Ellison storyline was unnecessary. I don't have a problem with her character, just it wouldn't have been needed if the episode had focused on the search for Lily

5. Grandfather subplot was weird. Since when does TM have wonderlust and commitment issues? He stayed in the same place for 8 years and was plenty committed to Michelle, Rick, T.C., and Higgins. The team ring that he wore constantly proved he was more than capable of commitment!

6. No resolution to the Quang Ki storyline. Does anyone believe that Thomas Magnum was gonna let this guy get away with what he had done to him, Michelle and Lily? "Unfinished Business" was always just postponed business for me. I'd like to believe that this what they had in mind for the reunion movie that never happened.

It sounds like I am totally trashing the finale, but there are things about it that I really liked:

1. Lily is alive! Its nice that Thomas got some happiness in his life after so much death, destruction, and war.

2. Katherine does not read the letter from Michelle. I like that Katherine thinks Michelle's final words to Thomas should remain just for him.

3. Higgins confiscates the tape because he is worried that TM is becoming obsessed with it.

4. TC and Tina get back together. Why shouldn't they? They have 2 kids together he's got a successful business and a beautiful home on Oahu and he's an all around decent fellow. What took her so long?

5. The hint-hint when Carol comes down the aisle. I would have been ok with a Thomas and Carol together scenario. They had real spark and were obiviously more than casual friends.

6. Nonverbal communication between Thomas and Lily at the wedding. She wants to stand next to him and he nudges her in the direction of the girls. Even at 7, she knows he's a fine speciman for a girl to want to stand next to. HaHa! Its just a cute scene.

7. Higgins lied! I never believed Higgins was RM. I thought this was a game TM and Higgins were playing and Higgy-Baby got the last word, as usual.

8. The lads in tuxedos. Just funny that a supposedly stuffy Brit would dress up his dogs for a wedding.

9. The sight of Thomas Magnum in dress whites one last time. Maybe they threw in the whole "returns to Navy" story just so us girls could get to see this a final time!

10. Thomas and Lily on beach. Perfect!

Possible flub: When Carol is in the guesthouse with TM and Lily, she acts like she's never seen Lily before. But wasn't she in the scene in Limbo when Michelle shows up at the estate? I know she probably didn't know Lily belonged to Thomas, but she had seen her before.

I am bummed that I have come to end of my DVDs, but I still love show. No show has ever sucked me in like this one does. And I am wondering how long I should wait before I start it all over with "Don't Eat the Snow in Hawaii". I know this post is really long, but I've been mulling over this episode for 10 yrs!

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

#107 Post by Seaver41 »

actually, I always saw Carol as more of a sister than love interest. She was never in his 'league' so to speak.

I too found the whole trip east a waste of time, but Thomas certainly did have commitment issues and wanderlust. Guys with typical commitment issues to women you will find have a circle of good friends, so they aren't mutually exclusive. His job alone defines his wanderlust. No schedule to keep or bosses to answer to....which makes the whole Magnum-Higgins relationship all the more funny.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

Well this is it then...

#108 Post by nha trang »

Of course it goes without saying that it is bittersweet to have finally watched the MPI series in its entirety. I plan on watching it all again at least once more in order though!

Maybe I can have some more intelligent commentary after giving things a second run, but what I wanted to point out from Resolutions I and II, as the writers attempt to "resolve" some loose ends,

In the bachelor party scene at the strip club, there is quite an amazing series of shots of gazongas...so yeah that was surprising. Also, Cleo filled out her wedding gown quite nicely... I'll hand it to Carol that she also looks probably better than at any other time in the series (I think they always tried to make her a bit frumpy perhaps to cue us viewers in that it was a romantic dead-end?)

Ahhh..but on to more pertinent matters: so one last bar brawl for the gang, poor Higgins getting thrown through a partition and all...

The scenes with Magnum in DC were really cool and I'm glad they included them in the finale. I have been to those spots only once and they are special, and it was nice to have them show Magnum there. I agree that the Tidewater back story (maybe backwater?) never was that convincing for me either, but at least they addressed Magnum's family life, otherwise just think of how many MORE questions us fans would have.

It really irked me that Magnum's grandfather comes out to the estate and then bails out on him like that. I felt as if the show was supposed to have us just forgive the grandfather because he's such a rolling stone, but I felt that was rather unnecessary to say the least.

I would have done things a bit differently for the finale, the subplot was questionable I agree. They should also have added one last panorama of the estate, perhaps with the wedding in progress, and maybe one last shot on the beach by the tidal pool. Oh well, I guess you know as well as I do that us hardcore MPI fans would always want more.

I think that they could have done worse than to pick the ending they did with Magnum returning to the Navy. What would you think if the series ended with him not having his daughter and with him emptying his closet of rubber chickens? It somehow wouldn't have been enough, and yet they knew we didn't want to see Magnum die either!

Mark R.Y.
Captain

#109 Post by Mark R.Y. »

burny wrote:might be a flub - i noticed this when i found the video section of this site and
watched the original airing end credit sequence. Devon Gaurd, a small player
who appeared i think in 3 other magnum episodes (the look, who is don luis...,
and the sixth postion) ....never appears in resolutions II.....not that i can spot anyway, but appears in the final credits as playing "Devon".
Perhaps it was a scene that was cut(?) and they didn't remove the
credit.....perhaps somebody can correct me....

Burny
I'm not sure if this is the same woman you're referring to, but at the 9:27 point (on the DVD), Karen says good night to a Devon in Resolutions Part 1.

bransonch
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#110 Post by bransonch »

This is a follow-up to my earlier post on Resolutions part I detailing the differences between the US region 1 DVD version and the German DVD version (region 2? I think). One immediate difference is that the R2 version begins with TM typing his resignation letter, but he is immediately interrupted by Lt. Page, and they have a conversation while walking down the beach about Linda Lee's attack (after she walked out of dinner with TM). This long scene, which is 3m 10s long, adds a piece that is missing if the scene is missing--how does TM find out about the attack, and why is he following LLE around town later? Also, after the Lt. Page scene, THEN TM gives Higgins his letter of resignation, THEN we see him following LLE. The two-part US release mixes the order of these scenes and this reordering gives the entire narrative a jumpy, scattered feeling.
Over all, the US release time is roughly 89:50, but, because it is in two parts, some of that 89:50 includes two end credits and a LONG recap of part 1 at the beginning of part two. On the other hand, the region 2 release is around 92:35, and it has only one end credit (which is a wonderful whole-series montage NOT found on the US release credits) and no long recap. Get the Region 2 version if you can--it is in English, of course, and does not require you to look at any subtitles--if you were worried.

InfinityandJellyDoughnuts
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#111 Post by InfinityandJellyDoughnuts »

Shermy wrote:I think this is the superior half of the finale, mainly because the Lily subplot is the most satisfying one they resolve. When he is finally reunited with her, it's a very moving scene. It's the type of emotional connection that the Tidewater scenes are missing, since the audience has such little invested in that part of Magnum's life. You just can't generate a lot of enthusiasm for characters you've basically only met in one previous episode.
maggiepoole wrote:I would have liked to have seen Higgins, Rick, and TC's reaction to Lily and some interaction.
It does seem a little strange that Magnum fails to introduce Lily to Higgins, Rick, and TC. Not only has he just learned that she's still alive, but that he's actually her dad as well. It's even stranger considering that they are all gathered at the estate when he returns.

I have mixed feelings on the resolutions here. On one hand, Magnum's return to the Navy is a perfect way to resolve the show. Suddenly, the entire series takes on a new meaning, in that it's been Magnum's way of working through the issues he brought home from the war. It's basically his second childhood that he finally has to grow out of.

But at the same time, it's a little disappointing to realize that the entire dynamic of the show is over. Unlike many finales, we're not left feeling that the characters will continue to evolve and grow old together. By removing Magnum (and his investigations), the characters lose the essential link that had kept them so close for so many years.

Higgins fares the worst here, and it's the one aspect that somehow just doesn't seem right. We know Higgins would be more of a grandfather to Lily than her great-grandfather ever could've been. (Or that her step-grandfather will be.) We also know that Magnum's absence will affect him deeply, as we saw in One More Summer. Overall, I'd prefer to think that Magnum resumed his naval career, but continued to reside at the estate.

As for Rick, I actually thought he got the best of all the "friend" subplots. Cleo obviously wasn't right for him, but that's perfectly in keeping with the tone of the show (and character). The final joke was exactly how that subplot should've ended. Even if Rick went through with it, there's no way it could've possibly lasted.

Finally, the subplot for poor TC felt almost like an afterthought. There's really no reason to think that he and his ex-wife will finally work through their differences, but at least he's finally got his son back. Bryant's inclusion in these final episodes bolsters The Great Hawaiian Adventure Company, and makes it a lot more essential than it is on its own merits.
I totally agree! I was watching this on Netflix when I was alone, and when the episode ended, I jumped up and said "What the heck?! That's it? Then I realized I was talking to an empty room :P

Not to mention there were sooo many unaswered questions:

Since when are Rick and Cleo serious about getting married? Last time we heard from Cleo, she told Rick that he was like a brother to her. That's not exactly romance.

Where are Magnum and Lily going to live? He resigned from the estate- It's not like Higgins is going to let him keep living in the guest house!

And is Higgins Robin Masters?!
Magnum: I laid awake all night for weeks, on guard against my own fear, until my Dad told me to call the monsters out, and see if they came. They never did. Unfortunately, my Dad never had a solution for the real monsters, the ones that reach out and grab you in broad daylight, and neither did I.

ronjambo
Ensign

#112 Post by ronjambo »

I understand them wanting to marry Rick off, but Cleo doesn't seem to love him or be the best match.
Do you remember when Rick won a millions dollars and then got hustled by that woman? He brought her back to Hawaii and gave all his money to the grifters she was working with? Then she leaves him but not before he gives her all the jewelry that he bought as a going away present. Rick has issues man.

MaximRecoil
Fleet Admiral

#113 Post by MaximRecoil »

I watched this the night it originally aired, after anticipating "the final episode" for quite some time with mixed feelings. On the one hand, I wanted to know if Higgins was really Robin Masters or not, but on the other hand I hated that the series was coming to an end.

Watching Magnum, P.I. with my older brother and father had become a tradition in my house starting in 1984 when I was 9 years old. During the 6th or 7th season it went into syndication, so from that point on I got to watch it 6 times a week, i.e., Monday through Friday at 7:00 PM. Thursdays were my favorite of course, because after the old rerun at 7:00 came a new episode at 8:00. This allowed me to catch up on the back episodes, particularly Memories Are Forever from season 2, which was important for understanding the Michelle and Lily storyline in the later seasons.

So I'd been watching Magnum, P.I. for 4 years when this episode aired, which is a significant percentage of a 13-year-old's lifetime.

With that said, I was very disappointed with this episode. Magnum going back into the Navy? What a depressing thought. Highly-structured, early to bed, early to rise, drab offices, discipline, orders, no Ferrari, no Robin's Nest, no Higgins, no T.C., no Rick, no "tawdry divorce cases" which lead to something unexpected ... in other words, the "perfect storm" subsides when you put Magnum in the Navy.

Who wants to see good things end? Higgins certainly didn't like the idea of Magnum resigning, and I don't blame him.

Seaver41
Fleet Admiral

Re: Resolutions (2) (8.13)

#114 Post by Seaver41 »

well........got nostalgic and had to skip out of rotation and watch this on Netflix (DAMN YOU NETFLIX FOR THE TEMPTATION!). It brought back some good memories of the original airing I watched at college (Old Dominion)in Hampton Roads amongst friends. My memory held up pretty well on this one. Two single best moments were Magnum seeing Lily and the final screenshot on the beach..................and then it hit me.........Lily was the vehicle needed to bring the viewers to the church (cheap LOST reference...lol). What symbolizes being a responsible adult more than being a parent?
Magnum P.I. was all about a man searching for his own identity who seemingly feared growing up......yet his loyalties to friends, country, and loved ones constantly provided him clues about who he was as a man. Magnum left the Navy to be young/free again, but over the course of those 8 seasons we saw a man that never really strayed from his core values/strengths. His loyalty to his friends kept him grounded as it did in combat, and Higgins symbolized the military he thought he hated that gave him structure. In the end, he combined them all and accepted his place in life as an adult with real responsibilities. We all learned a bit about love, friends, family, loyalty, tragedy, fun, etc........but ultimately the show was a great metaphor for life's trials and tribulations and why passing those tests are worth it.

Upon completion of the episode........I felt compelled to go to Itunes and purchased Joe Cocker's...... "I'm so glad I'm standing here today"..........and NOW I get why it fits......Thomas passed his tests with the reward being self realization of who he is and where he needs to be........

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

Re: Resolutions (2) (8.13)

#115 Post by Doc Ibold »

Seaver41 wrote:well........got nostalgic and had to skip out of rotation and watch this on Netflix (DAMN YOU NETFLIX FOR THE TEMPTATION!). It brought back some good memories of the original airing I watched at college (Old Dominion)in Hampton Roads amongst friends. My memory held up pretty well on this one. Two single best moments were Magnum seeing Lily and the final screenshot on the beach..................and then it hit me.........Lily was the vehicle needed to bring the viewers to the church (cheap LOST reference...lol). What symbolizes being a responsible adult more than being a parent?
Magnum P.I. was all about a man searching for his own identity who seemingly feared growing up......yet his loyalties to friends, country, and loved ones constantly provided him clues about who he was as a man. Magnum left the Navy to be young/free again, but over the course of those 8 seasons we saw a man that never really strayed from his core values/strengths. His loyalty to his friends kept him grounded as it did in combat, and Higgins symbolized the military he thought he hated that gave him structure. In the end, he combined them all and accepted his place in life as an adult with real responsibilities. We all learned a bit about love, friends, family, loyalty, tragedy, fun, etc........but ultimately the show was a great metaphor for life's trials and tribulations and why passing those tests are worth it.

Upon completion of the episode........I felt compelled to go to Itunes and purchased Joe Cocker's...... "I'm so glad I'm standing here today"..........and NOW I get why it fits......Thomas passed his tests with the reward being self realization of who he is and where he needs to be........
Excellent synopsis!