6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 97

Steve
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Steve »

It's hard to believe that May 1st, was the 20 year anniversary of the showing of "Resolutions". I still vivdly remember the build up of excitement for me as there were reports that many of the guest stars would be returning for the final. Was I ever dissapointed that it never really happened. I was truly looking forward to Luther H. Gillis calling Higgins the Butler one last time, perhaps seeing Carol Burnett again and Annie Potts as well (among others). I find the episode very good at best, did like the fight scene in the strip club as others had mentioned, and liked the ending with TM walking down the beach with Lilly and clips from various shows being played. I didn't much care for the entire stalker thing going on as I wanted more "resolutions" to be taking place and I do recall yelling at the TV "Oh, god no, nat again!" when you saw the blood dripping on the scarf and the screen going to white. What did Bob Seger say in "Like A Rock".....Twenty years, where'd they go.......

Steve
Chicago

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#32 Post by N1095A »

Why on earth would Rick invite Buck Green/e to his wedding? Don't get me wrong, I liked the character, but after the despicable things he's done, and the fact that he isn't a friend of any of the main characters I think he'd be the last one invited.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Carmen
MPI

#33 Post by Carmen »

You liked the character?!

Maybe Magnum invited Maggie and she brought him along, cause,ahmm - no, why`d she do such a thing??
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

N1095A

#34 Post by N1095A »

Let me qualify that. I liked Buck for what he was. He was a good antagonist. Lance Legualt played the role very well.

Carmen
MPI

#35 Post by Carmen »

:D I see
I was really surprised reading you liked him :wink:

N1095A

#36 Post by N1095A »

Buck the person was truly despicable, but as a character he was brilliant.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#37 Post by Doc Ibold »

N1095A wrote:Why on earth would Rick invite Buck Green/e to his wedding? Don't get me wrong, I liked the character, but after the despicable things he's done, and the fact that he isn't a friend of any of the main characters I think he'd be the last one invited.
Considering the events of "The Love For Sale Boat", I'm surprised Mac/Bonnick was there too!

Carmen
MPI

#38 Post by Carmen »

Yeah, but he came anyway, nobody had to invite him *G*

N1095A

#39 Post by N1095A »

Does Rick even know Buck? I don't think they ever had a scene together. Although I'm sure he knows him through TM.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#40 Post by IslandHopper »

N1095A wrote:Does Rick even know Buck? I don't think they ever had a scene together. Although I'm sure he knows him through TM.
Yeah, Rick was with Magnum, Maggie, Admiral Hawkes and Buck Greene at the Navy Base when they realized the true identity of Nuzo in "Did You See The Sunrise."
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

revaddict
Ensign

#41 Post by revaddict »

I grew up watching MPI, but season 8 aired during my first year of college, so it was hard to follow it while away from home. To make matters worse, I had set my family's VCR to take the final episode for me...but there was a screw-up and it didn't get recorded properly. I never saw the final episode of one of my all-time favorite shows until last night--20 years late!

So I finally got to see how it ended. I must admit I felt a little disappointed. Looking back on season 8, the whole season felt kind of contrived. It definitely stands out from the other seasons of MPI. A number of episodes get so introspective and somber that they don't seem to go anywhere.

The irony of "Resolutions" of course is that very little is resolved. The show ends without us really knowing if Rick gets married, if TC and his ex work things out or if Higgins is Robin Masters (my vote is No, for what it's worth).

But by the time we get to the end of season 8, the episodes have broken the MPI mold so much that this goofy ending didn't bother me that much. I guess I just felt relieved that it was over.

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#42 Post by IslandHopper »

Welcome to the site revaddict.
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#43 Post by golfmobile »

Well, revaddict. Good insight there on the episode. You put together nicely what all of us have discussed for months! But then we enjoy all the "chewing over" of different opnions, thoughts and interpretations, analyses, impressions, etc.!

So welcome to the best Magnum site on the internet!!

golf
"Portside, buddy."

IKnowWhatYoureThinking
Macho Taco & Coops Connoisseur

#44 Post by IKnowWhatYoureThinking »

Redaddict, as golf said you had some good insight on Season 8. I too feel Resolutions I & II resolved nothing. Welcome to the site and enjoy the conversations!

Trptpaladin
Ensign

#45 Post by Trptpaladin »

Good discussion, I would like to wade in.

In addition to the great ideas so far I would like to mention the resolution of the final and perhaps most under riding theme of the show, TM’s relationship with his father. More precisely, the relationship with the image or idea of what his father would be, want, or do, etc..

Perhaps TM’s life as a PI wasn’t just a chance to work through the issues of the war, living in a place that was half way home, but an impasse where he had to figure out what came next in life since he had survived war when his father had not. There are many times during the course of the show where TM gives the standard line of “ 33 having never been 23” and no one seems to ever buy it. I think TM finally gets over self imposed limitations of living the life his father would have and finds a balance between duty and self.