Season 8 General Discussion

Rate, review & discuss the episodes from the eighth season

Moderator: Styles Bitchley

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

Season 8 General Discussion

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

Please post any general comments regarding Season 8 here. For episode-specific posts, please use the correct episode thread.

Thanks
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Tuan Vu
Captain

#2 Post by Tuan Vu »

Great news! All eight seasons of Magnum P.I. are now on Netflix!

ConchRepublican
COZITV Magnum, P.I. SuperFan / Chief Barkeep - Flemingo Key

Re: Season 8 General Discussion

#3 Post by ConchRepublican »

In general I've always viewed this as the bonus season it was except I almost take it out of continuity. Maybe as a comic book fan I think "parallel world" more readily than others.

Some episodes are really good but a lot just didn't add up for me. While I like the idea of Thomas living on with Lily, the series ender to me will always feel like Limbo, it was just done so well.

That said, I'm glad we had another 13 hours with the guys!
CoziTV Superfan spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPTmsykLQ04

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#4 Post by marlboro »

I'm not a fan of season 8. The great thing about episodic television shows like Magnum is that you can just ignore the episodes that you don't like. There are a couple of of episodes from season 8 that i think are ok. I think "The Love That Lies" is the strongest Carol-centric episode. I also thought that "Innocence, a Broad" was a pretty good comedy episode; Rita would have made an entertaining love interest for Rick, imo.

I've mentioned this before, but I think season seven's "Forty" would have made a fitting final episode.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#5 Post by KingKC »

I was so, so glad when it was decided to have a Season 8. I did not like the Limbo ending. I think Season 8 said it best with Unfinished Business and Resolutions, both the episodes and the concepts as to the whole show. Yes, we had to tolerate a few "filler" or "light" episodes but that was OK with me. It was a much more memorable, and pleasant, ending.

KingKC

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#6 Post by Orrymain »

I think the show should have ended with Limbo, which in my view, was an awesome finale. It really honored the show's history and left on a high note, even if Magnum was dead. It was the send off, walking off into space with John Denver singing. You just can't beat that.

While I was happy that Magnum was reunited with Lily, the rest of the ultimate series ender was not as thrilling. I didn't like the guessing games at the end. Did Higgens really lie? Does Rick get married or not?

They murdered Tanaka. Why?

There were some fun moments in S8, but it's not my favorite season by a long shot.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#7 Post by Little Garwood »

Orrymain wrote:I think the show should have ended with Limbo, which in my view, was an awesome finale. It really honored the show's history and left on a high note, even if Magnum was dead. It was the send off, walking off into space with John Denver singing. You just can't beat that.
This makes three things in a row that we have different viewpoints on: I dislike Limbo, adore Patrick McGoohan, and think Daniel J. Travanti was tremendous (though I'm not a huge fan of most cop shows). :wink:

Season eight I think has something for every MPI fan though I do agree with being disappointed with the way the series wrapped up--I detest TM re-upping even more than him goofily trundling off to Heaven. The season eight finale is what I refer to as the character taking "one step backwards." Seems like TM forgot why he resigned from the USN in the first place.
Last edited by Little Garwood on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#8 Post by Orrymain »

That's why there is the joy of agreeing to disagree! It's a wonderful art, not used enough in today's world!

Veronica Hamel -- just came to me (the actress in HSB). lol

I can't say I was crazy about TM going back into the service, but it was an easy, symbolic way of showing he had grown up and was going to make more responsible choices in the future. It was probably a better choice than having him get married.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by KingKC »

Just a second general discussion. It ranked third in the Season Average rating behind Season Seven as number 1 and Season 1 as number two. I would put it third but switch Season 7 and 1. It had 5 of 13 episodes in the TOP 40 so others tended to like it. Overall a good job for a last minute season. No official Nielsen rating other than it was not in the top 30.

KingKC

Orrymain
Lieutenant Commander

#10 Post by Orrymain »

I haven't ranked the seasons, or the episodes, to be honest, so I'm not sure in retrospect where I would place things. I didn't find this group until after I had recently watched the entire series on DVD. I wish I had.

LZeitgeist
Vice Admiral

#11 Post by LZeitgeist »

Just finished rewatching the entire series on DVD, and while I'm glad season 8 happened as there were a few key episodes, I got tired of seeing so much of Carol. She was a good supporting character, but too much for a regular presence.

Also hated the Carol Burnett character the first time, definitely didn't need to see her again.