5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 82

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

Re: L.A. (1) (7.1)

#41 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

eagle wrote:Hi guys.

I'm going through the series, and I'm on s07e01 right now (LA part 1). 20 minutes into it, Magnum is on a movie/TV set in LA, and that sure looks like the set that was used for the downtown area of Hill Valley in the Back To The Future series. I'm surprised that there is no mention of this in this thread or on the episode page.

Can anyone confirm for me that this is indeed the same set?

Thanks.
Hi eagle. Nice job! I guess you're right.
I've found this article about the 'Courthouse Square'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courthouse_Square

That set was used in several shows, including Magnum p.i. in 1986!
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Little Garwood »

Trivia: The scene when Thomas is talking with Det. Sam McKee in the latter's office is the office used by Lt. Marcel "Downtown" Brown in seasons 3-6 of Simon & Simon and by Lt. Abigail Marsh in seasons 7-8.

Plus, this being the Universal shooting stage, I'm pretty sure that same office, albeit painted differently, also served as Lt. Monahan's office in Quincy, M.E.

Are the Magnum-Mania trivia sections no longer being updated? :(
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by KingKC »

It seems like people either liked this episode and its conclusion or didn't like it, period. It did rate out an 8.1 which is definitely above average. Dana Delaney is gorgeous in my book and I would have loved to see her character hook up with TM. If this was really going to be the last season I think it would have been great for them to become a couple and maybe even a third ending besides Limbo and Resolutions where Magnum lives, doesn't re-up and becomes a profitable and successful investigator for an attorney. That might have been great for reunion movies. Who knows? Put me in the category that liked it.

KingKC

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#44 Post by ENSHealy »

Carol the Dabbler wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:14 am
Styles Bitchley wrote:The comedy act was embarrassing to watch, but that's pretty standard fare for this scenario, it was just a short sequence to establish that she's a comedienne.
AmandaByNight wrote:While the jokes are horrible, the way they intersperse the scenes from her act to the boys being killed in Hawaii is kind of brilliant.
I never thought of that before, but you're right, Styles. When there's a comedian character -- even in a comedy show with good writers -- their act is typically pretty lame. And Amanda makes a good point, that the act was included here partly as contrast to some violent scenes.

It occurs to me that "acts" of this kind are probably sort of blah on purpose. If one was genuinely funny, we'd be annoyed if all we heard was snippets of it as background to the main action. We'd be disappointed if the act only lasted a couple of minutes before the plot took up again. And if the act was used as a counterpoint to any sort of unpleasantness, the contrast might be too stark. With a lame act, all those problems disappear. In fact, we're quite relieved when it ends!
It's interesting, I've been watching Seinfeld on Netflix (trying to ignore/get past the horrible 16:9 aspect ratio conversion) and what I've mainly noticed (through season 3 at least) is that most of Jerry's stand up in the openers, interludes and closing sequences aren't that funny. It's like they gathered all his worst material for those bits. It's jarring, because the show itself is so funny and hasn't lost a thing in 30 years.

P.S. I'm going to pat myself on the back here for also noticing they were on the "Back to the Future set" during the scene where Thomas serves the subpoena.

P.P.S. Did anyone else think there was a subtle homage to the opening scene of "From Russia With Love" in the scene that took place at the house with all the statuary, when the lights come after Cynthia trips the alarm? Of course it also had me flashing back to "Smaller Than Life"...so there's that.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 7.1. L.A. (1)

Famous guest stars: 1 Dana Delany & Alfonso Ribeiro (half point each for future fame)
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum: 1
OMG:
Higgins Organizations: 1 Anglo-Hawaiian Home For Incorrigible Boys
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Gun Play:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI: .5 Half point for mention of “world class private investigator” but not his book on how to be one.
Investigator corrections: 1
4th wall breaks: 1
Magnumometer: 5.5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/648067708

I suppose we just have to assume it happened off screen when he shows up at her house, but we never see Thomas actually tell Cynthia his name.

I mentioned in an earlier post I thought there was a subtle homage to From Russia With Love in this episode. Well, I now present to you, From Magnum With Love.
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

Blackmamba
Lieutenant

#46 Post by Blackmamba »

I remember when this episode was first aired and I hated Dana as the love interest. Fast forward 30 odd years and I enjoyed the episode and liked Dana. I could see the attraction but it becomes obvious to me that the relationship was doomed to fizzle. Even though she wasn’t a good prospect for a serious relationship, TM seems finally open to a long term commitment.

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#47 Post by N1095A »

The police lieutenants office was the same one as Downtown Brown's on Simon & Simon. Even had the same pictures on the wall.
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Aloha Friday
Admiral

#48 Post by Aloha Friday »

Decent episode...I like Dana Delany. China Beach was not too far off in her future...a great show. As for the comedy routines...I am thinking maybe the writers don't want to throw away good jokes as an aside on a television show when they can be sold for good money.
Aloha Friday
Tidewater, Virginia

Pahonu
Robin's Nest Expert Extraordinaire

#49 Post by Pahonu »

Aloha Friday wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:24 am Decent episode...I like Dana Delany. China Beach was not too far off in her future...a great show. As for the comedy routines...I am thinking maybe the writers don't want to throw away good jokes as an aside on a television show when they can be sold for good money.
China Beach was fantastic!

Treadwell
Lieutenant Commander

Re:

#50 Post by Treadwell »

6.5 (Not So Good)
(both parts)

Dana Delaney is charming and delightful. But the show's a mess. Agreed on the many points in that regard already made.

The interior of the comedy club stage (but, surely, not the manager's office) and the exterior with the black wall with all the fake celebrity autographs is The Comedy Store, which is still running in LA.

TM has a big bandage on the OUTSIDE of his clothing? What good is it doing over two layers of fabric?
MrMoustache wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:52 pm "I had no where else to go" - TM shows up at the lawyers house after the gunfight at the safe house. Did I miss something?
Didn't she give him her card or write down her address in a prior scene outside the comedy club?

More comments in the Part 2 thread.

No need to know!
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by No need to know! »

Scored Pretty good on both L.A 1 & 2 some years ago.

I must say that they have grown on me (it´s a two hour movie on my european DVD).

Really entertaining, and the love interest between Tom & Cynthia did work this time for me, and nice with a subplot with TC, Higgins and Rick back "home".

I would score a 8.5 now, Very good indeed.
Onion´s extra?