6.0 (Pretty Bad)
2%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 82

Kevster
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by Kevster »

MrMoustache wrote:TM pausing when comedienne look alike walks by during "lovers quarrel" - strange.
That looked a little like Bette Midler too.
Trust Me!!!

Rosebud
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: L.A. (1) (7.1)

#32 Post by Rosebud »

Just finished watching parts 1 & 2, I liked them, I like almost all the episodes and so far I haven't rated any. This one got me to post because of Dana D. She was so HOT back then and I had the great pleasure of seeing her TOPLESS on the beach at the Hotel Bora Bora back in 1989 a memory that will stay with me until I die! :D

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#33 Post by Styles Bitchley »

Rosebud wrote:Just finished watching parts 1 & 2, I liked them, I like almost all the episodes and so far I haven't rated any. This one got me to post because of Dana D. She was so HOT back then and I had the great pleasure of seeing her TOPLESS on the beach at the Hotel Bora Bora back in 1989 a memory that will stay with me until I die! :D
:shock:
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by 308GUY »

Rosebud wrote:I had the great pleasure of seeing her TOPLESS on the beach at the Hotel Bora Bora back in 1989 a memory that will stay with me until I die!:D

Pictures or it didn't happen! :lol: (J/K)

She IS a dish though...right? Not bad now...and was a pretty "class act" back then to be sure! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#35 Post by Doc Ibold »

This is one of those episodes that when I first watched it, I was indifferent about it. Upon further review, it has its merits. Its not one of the best of the bunch.

I thought Dana Delaney did a good job, and it displayed the rushed romance aspect relatively well. The parallels between Martie and Magnum was a nice touch. It was too bad the relationship ended the way it did with Out of Sync, which lived up to its title and did little else.

Rosebud
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#36 Post by Rosebud »

308GUY wrote:
Rosebud wrote:I had the great pleasure of seeing her TOPLESS on the beach at the Hotel Bora Bora back in 1989 a memory that will stay with me until I die!:D

Pictures or it didn't happen! :lol: (J/K)

She IS a dish though...right? Not bad now...and was a pretty "class act" back then to be sure! :magnum:

Go ahead, bust my chops! :lol: Believe me, I've been kicking myself for almost 25 years, for missing that opportunity! :cry: :wink:

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by 308GUY »

Rosebud wrote:Go ahead, bust my chops! :lol:

Naw.....................just a little jealous.....the rest of us couldn't be there! :magnum:
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Doc Fred
Admiral

#38 Post by Doc Fred »

Well, I guess my view is different from most of y'all... I really liked this two-parter and gave it a 9.

I thought the chemistry between Magnum and Cythia was excellent, and thought the idea of having the main plot in LA and the subplot in Honolulu was good... A two part show could be tedious with just one area of interest.

Again, I applaud Higgy for his genuine concern for TC's situation, and his eagerness to do whatever he could to find the young boy... same with Rick.

For anyone interested, the house Jesse lived in is on the corner of Glendower and Cromwell in Los Angeles. There's a different gate out front and the shrubbery is much denser now.
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#39 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Dana Delany was really annoying here. Magnum had a lucky escape.

There seems to be some sort of running New York baseball joke going on in this episode. The film director at the beginning is wearing a Yankees cap, and the police detective near the end is wearing a Mets one.

It was also interesting to see Carlton Banks in his younger rowdier days.

eagle
Fleet Admiral

#40 Post by eagle »

Hi guys.

I'm going through the series, and I'm on s07e01 right now (LA part 1). 20 minutes into it, Magnum is on a movie/TV set in LA, and that sure looks like the set that was used for the downtown area of Hill Valley in the Back To The Future series. I'm surprised that there is no mention of this in this thread or on the episode page.

Can anyone confirm for me that this is indeed the same set?

Thanks.

Kalai-pahoa
Captain

#41 Post by Kalai-pahoa »

eagle wrote:Hi guys.

I'm going through the series, and I'm on s07e01 right now (LA part 1). 20 minutes into it, Magnum is on a movie/TV set in LA, and that sure looks like the set that was used for the downtown area of Hill Valley in the Back To The Future series. I'm surprised that there is no mention of this in this thread or on the episode page.

Can anyone confirm for me that this is indeed the same set?

Thanks.
Hi eagle. Nice job! I guess you're right.
I've found this article about the 'Courthouse Square'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courthouse_Square

That set was used in several shows, including Magnum p.i. in 1986!
I know what you're thinking, but this time you're wrong.

Little Garwood
Fleet Admiral

#42 Post by Little Garwood »

Trivia: The scene when Thomas is talking with Det. Sam McKee in the latter's office is the office used by Lt. Marcel "Downtown" Brown in seasons 3-6 of Simon & Simon and by Lt. Abigail Marsh in seasons 7-8.

Plus, this being the Universal shooting stage, I'm pretty sure that same office, albeit painted differently, also served as Lt. Monahan's office in Quincy, M.E.

Are the Magnum-Mania trivia sections no longer being updated? :(
"Popularity is the pocket change of history."

~Tom Selleck

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#43 Post by KingKC »

It seems like people either liked this episode and its conclusion or didn't like it, period. It did rate out an 8.1 which is definitely above average. Dana Delaney is gorgeous in my book and I would have loved to see her character hook up with TM. If this was really going to be the last season I think it would have been great for them to become a couple and maybe even a third ending besides Limbo and Resolutions where Magnum lives, doesn't re-up and becomes a profitable and successful investigator for an attorney. That might have been great for reunion movies. Who knows? Put me in the category that liked it.

KingKC

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#44 Post by ENSHealy »

Carol the Dabbler wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:14 am
Styles Bitchley wrote:The comedy act was embarrassing to watch, but that's pretty standard fare for this scenario, it was just a short sequence to establish that she's a comedienne.
AmandaByNight wrote:While the jokes are horrible, the way they intersperse the scenes from her act to the boys being killed in Hawaii is kind of brilliant.
I never thought of that before, but you're right, Styles. When there's a comedian character -- even in a comedy show with good writers -- their act is typically pretty lame. And Amanda makes a good point, that the act was included here partly as contrast to some violent scenes.

It occurs to me that "acts" of this kind are probably sort of blah on purpose. If one was genuinely funny, we'd be annoyed if all we heard was snippets of it as background to the main action. We'd be disappointed if the act only lasted a couple of minutes before the plot took up again. And if the act was used as a counterpoint to any sort of unpleasantness, the contrast might be too stark. With a lame act, all those problems disappear. In fact, we're quite relieved when it ends!
It's interesting, I've been watching Seinfeld on Netflix (trying to ignore/get past the horrible 16:9 aspect ratio conversion) and what I've mainly noticed (through season 3 at least) is that most of Jerry's stand up in the openers, interludes and closing sequences aren't that funny. It's like they gathered all his worst material for those bits. It's jarring, because the show itself is so funny and hasn't lost a thing in 30 years.

P.S. I'm going to pat myself on the back here for also noticing they were on the "Back to the Future set" during the scene where Thomas serves the subpoena.

P.P.S. Did anyone else think there was a subtle homage to the opening scene of "From Russia With Love" in the scene that took place at the house with all the statuary, when the lights come after Cynthia trips the alarm? Of course it also had me flashing back to "Smaller Than Life"...so there's that.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

#45 Post by ENSHealy »

EPISODE: 7.1. L.A. (1)

Famous guest stars: 1 Dana Delany & Alfonso Ribeiro (half point each for future fame)
Hawaiian shirts:
Tigers Cap:
Island Hopper shirts:
Shirtless Magnum: 1
OMG:
Higgins Organizations: 1 Anglo-Hawaiian Home For Incorrigible Boys
Higgins musings:
Negotiations:
Gun Play:
Bullet wounds:
Little Voice:
I know what you’re thinking:
When I write HTBAWCPI: .5 Half point for mention of “world class private investigator” but not his book on how to be one.
Investigator corrections: 1
4th wall breaks: 1
Magnumometer: 5.5
Magnumometer Moments: https://vimeo.com/648067708

I suppose we just have to assume it happened off screen when he shows up at her house, but we never see Thomas actually tell Cynthia his name.

I mentioned in an earlier post I thought there was a subtle homage to From Russia With Love in this episode. Well, I now present to you, From Magnum With Love.
Last edited by ENSHealy on Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."