No votes
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 77

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

L.A. (2) (7.2)

#1 Post by J.J. Walters »

This is the official MM thread for L.A. (2) (7.2). All discussions and reviews for this episode should go here. If you wish to rate the episode, please do so with the poll. The avg. score will be the official 'community rating', which will be used on the episode page (updated monthly).

This thread is also linked in the episode page of the Episode Guide.

Original Air Date: 10/1/1986
Magnum and Cynthia develop an intimate relationship as they investigate Marti's murder, and T.C., Rick and Higgins continue their search for Kenny.
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#2 Post by J.J. Walters »

I really, really liked the ending for this episode. It's realistic, it's touching, and it's very effective with the Sandborn/Anderson song. Well done.

Still, Part 2 is rather slow going and would have benefited greatly with a couple more shots of Dana Delany in a bathing suit. ;)
Last edited by J.J. Walters on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#3 Post by IslandHopper »

:D CONGRATULATIONS James. It appears you have finally received your season 7 DVDs. :D
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#4 Post by lutherhgillis »

In my opinion, the LA episodes while good are the weakest of season 7 for me. If you guys like them, that's certainly Ok but for me, when you remove Magnum from Hawaii and the estate, and the friends, and the ferrari, and the surfski... I think you get my point. MPI was sort of an escape package for me. When you separate the parts of the show, they begin to lose strength.

With that said, the LA episodes were pretty good for plot and I liked the dual story line with TC and Tanaka fighting drug crime back in Hawaii. To me the TC character was a very important part of the series. He brought stability and humanity into a somewhat otherwise self-centered environment.

Dana Delaney was beautiful! (and still is). I didn't really dig her California leftist character all that much however. She seemed a little too dizzy for Magnum. I love that he had her buy a 12 gauge riot gun with an 18" barrell. That was hilarious. A tree hugger, neocom buying a riot gun! That's rich!!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#5 Post by J.J. Walters »

IslandHopper wrote::D CONGRATULATIONS James. It appears you have finally received your season 7 DVDs. :D
Thanks! It was well worth the wait. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am about revisiting Season Seven, my favorite season of the series. Several of these episodes I havn't seen since they originally aired! :shock:
lutherhgillis wrote:To me the TC character was a very important part of the series. He brought stability and humanity into a somewhat otherwise self-centered environment.
Great point Luther, I couldn't agree more. I also really admire his clean-living lifestyle and strong sense of virtue.

I also have the same general opinion on these "Non-Hawaiian" episodes ("Going Home", "Deja Vu", "LA"). While it's somewhat refreshing to have a non-familiar, "exotic" setting, they just don't really work so well for me. Like you said, a major part of the show's appeal and charm is its standard (I would say, "iconic") setting; the Estate, the King Kamehameha Club "Beach Bar", Honolulu, Waikiki, even "objects" like the Ferrari, the Chopper, the rubber chicken, etc. These characteristics really define the show. They are almost like cast members, in a way. Episodes without these things in them just seem so ..... strange! They almost seem like a "Movie of the Week" with the cast from MPI. :?

IslandHopper
Master Flub Spotter

#6 Post by IslandHopper »

I agree LHG. "LA" (1 & 2) are my least favorite episodes of season 7, mainly because they do not take place in Hawaii. I'll watch just about anything in Hawaii. The other thing that bothered me about "LA" is Magnum instantly falling in love with Dana Delaney's character (Cynthia). Not that there is anything wrong with that, but he seems to turn into a different person when he falls instantly head-over-heels, as with Diane Dupres (Echoes Of The Mind) and Lauren (The Kona Winds). Besides, Dana's character although beautiful, didn't seem like the others Magnum usually falls for. He seems to fall for the quiet and reserved type, like Michelle, Penelope (Deja Vu), Diane and Lauren. Cynthia Farrell is..."Squeaky."

A more practical problem with his relationship with Cynthia is the conflict of interest. Magnum was sent to LA as an agent of Robin Masters to serve legal papers (lawsuit) on Cynthia because her production company stole Robin's story and turned it into a movie. The next thing you know Magnum and Cynthia are dodging bullets and he asks her to marry him. I wonder what Robin Masters would have said about Magnum's new relationship with Cynthia. Do you think Robin would have attended the wedding? I know Robin thinks highly of Magnum, but when it comes down to the piracy of his story and the potential loss of millions of dollars, I don't know if even TM could have talked his way out of that one. Magnum has compromised his professional ethics and possibly the trust and friendship of his employer for his relationship with Cynthia. I'm just glad the story never got that far, although it could have made for an interesting story line; Robin vs. Cynthia. Who to choose?
The answer is obvious, old man. Logic is irrelevant. It's simply Tropical Madness. (J.Q. Higgins)

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#7 Post by Doc Ibold »

I agree that LA was a bit weak, but I also viewed their relationship as rather "juvenile"....

Not to say that the relationship is weak, but it was like 2 13 year olds just starting to date.

Neither really knows anything about the other, but for whatever reason, they feel they need to be together. This (non relationship) relationship is further exposed in "Out of Sync" where every time they're together, its just really awkward and neither knows what to do with the other one.

I WILL say that out of all his female choices, Cynthia is actually my favorite (Yeah, I said it, even over Michelle!)

:shock:

Diane/Deidre: WHACKJOB, even though Diane seemed to truly love him.
Lauren: Conniving
Penelope: Looking at him in a romantic fashion due to his similarity to her late husband. Classic "Rebound" scenario
Michelle: Indecisive. She loves Magnum so much, yet won't ever be with him due to other commitments. The only time she sees him is when she's in some sort or trouble, and he ALWAYS comes through, and she always leaves.

Cynthia is really the only one who actually seemed to like Magnum, but really had no ulterior motive for being with him. Besides, I like the "Squeaky" ones!

:)

I know there'll be a lot of disagreement on this, but a discussion is healthy!

:lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#8 Post by J.J. Walters »

Yeah IslandHopper, I would say it was a "conflict of interest", also. I'm sure he's looking at it like "she's just doing her job" (as a lawyer). She's not the one who stole Robin's book. But still, she is representing them. Sometimes Magnum's moral compass does deviate a bit, doesn't it?

Hehe, chalk up another "falling instantly in love" moment for the Mag. It's funny, you can almost see it (and feel it) in that first scene where Magnum and Cynthia meet on the movie set. TM (Selleck) has this noticable pause as they're talking. He kind of just stares at her like a deer caught in a headlight. You just knew right then and there, 60 seconds after meeting her, he was head over heels in love with her. :shock:

But hey, "Love at first sight" is a universal theme, right? It's certainly a recurring theme in the show!

And I agree with you Doc. "Squeaky" is my favorite of the bunch, too. She has the best house that's for sure! :)

lutherhgillis
Fleet Admiral

#9 Post by lutherhgillis »

I love the discussion. Keep it going...

They always kidded Rick about falling in love quickly. Magnum could write a chapter of that book also.

Magnum chose 'flawed' women , in my opinion, because heknew he would never be with Michelle. He was drawn to other relationships that didn't have a chance of going the distance so as to never take Michelle off the throne.

I like the Cynthia character well enough but to have Magnum suddenly become nuts about her and ask her to marry him was rediculous.

Oh well, I like the Hawaiian portion of the LA episodes very much. TC and Tanaka were great characters in and of themselves.

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#10 Post by Doc Ibold »

Ah......

LHG, lets not forget our boy TC has been guilty of a few "indiscretions"

namely Bibi Kiamani, Alexis Carter (while he was still married, mind you!), and the Moroccan lady from Deja Vu

:wink:

Even the indomitable Higgins has been swayed by the fairer sex, namely Jenny from "Tropical Madness", and Vivian Brock-Jones (from Letter to a Duchess). I'd include the numerous "Lady Ashleys" too, but that was more of a long term thing.

I would say I agree with "Love at first sight" is a main theme of the show, which kept it fresh.

If Magnum and the gang were running around just solving crimes all the time, without any outside distractions, the show would have gotten pretty stale quickly.

Actually, some of my favorite episodes include the gang NOT solving cases (Home from the Sea, Operation Silent Night).

(I found it funny though when my brother was watching this ep for the first time, he was convinced "that that entertainment lawyer is behind it all"

I just gave him the big brother "nod and smile" (even though he's 23!)

:lol:

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Doc Ibold wrote:(I found it funny though when my brother was watching this ep for the first time, he was convinced "that that entertainment lawyer is behind it all"
That would have been a shocker to say the least! "Squeaky" cons everybody and heads for Mexico! :o

But hey, after what your brother saw in "Echoes of the Mind" and "Kona Winds", he had good reason to think that! ;)

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

The end credits list Kimberly McArthur as "Lady in Hot Tub". I've looked and there doesn't appear to be a scene with a lady in a hot tub at any point in this two-hour episode. The IMDB lists Ms. McArthur as a former Playboy "Playmate of the Month" (Jan. 1982). Can anyone find her in this episode? If not, why is she listed in the end credits??

golfmobile
Chopper Pilot Wannabe

#13 Post by golfmobile »

James,

I'd say this is a question for your film editor friend! I'm sure a lot of scenes got left on the cutting room floor. I would guess this was one of them, but they'd already "written" the credits and simply failed to revise them.

JMO

golf
"Portside, buddy."

sophia
Fleet Admiral

#14 Post by sophia »

james,
I found a picture of Kimberly McArthur and she looks alot like the girl
that backed out in front of Magnum and Cynthia.
I think that is her, she was never in a hot tub.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#15 Post by J.J. Walters »

Sophia,

No, that was Vicki. She was played by Holly Dorff, who was much younger than Kimberly McArthur.

I think you're right golf. They must have cut her scene, but left her name in the end credits. A cruel tease. As Higgins would say, it's "OUT-RAGEOUS!". ;)