6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 90

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by AmandaByNight »

I've been wanting to see this one again. It's been forever. I remember liking it. There is also a deaf girl episode of Buck Rogers, Love Boat and Hardy Boys. In the Hardy Boys the woman reads someone's lips and realizes they are planning to kill someone. The deaf character in a storyline was pretty big back in the day!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

There was also a deaf female guest character in an episode of Sugarfoot, where Jack Elam's recurring character, "Toothy" Thompson, conversed with her in sign language. Why is it always a deaf woman in movies & tv? Aren't there any deaf men in this world? (I'm thinking perhaps "they" consider it more dramatically acceptable for a female character to have a weakness, to need help.

Oddly, though, the numbers seem to be a bit more even with blind characters. I'm thinking of blind women in Little House on the Prairie, Rockford, and Wait Until Dark. But Little House also had a blind man, and so did Matlock. And what about Longstreet himself?
Carol

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by AmandaByNight »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:There was also a deaf female guest character in an episode of Sugarfoot, where Jack Elam's recurring character, "Toothy" Thompson, conversed with her in sign language. Why is it always a deaf woman in movies & tv? Aren't there any deaf men in this world? (I'm thinking perhaps "they" consider it more dramatically acceptable for a female character to have a weakness, to need help.

Oddly, though, the numbers seem to be a bit more even with blind characters. I'm thinking of blind women in Little House on the Prairie, Rockford, and Wait Until Dark. But Little House also had a blind man, and so did Matlock. And what about Longstreet himself?
I am ashamed to admit that I've never seen Longstreet! I need to fix that.

It is interesting, you don't seem to see as much in the way of blind or deaf characters in episodic television these days. Maybe they think it's not PC?

I think it's interesting what you pointed out about women tending to play the deaf character. On Buck Rogers and Love Boat is was the same actress, who was actually deaf (don't quote me on that, but I'm sure I looked her up). I think you're right, they play into the stereotypical victim role.

There was also the blind assistant (male) in the pilot movie Sweet, Sweet Rachel. It never went to series, but it's a fantastically eerie movie. He's the only other one I can think of off hand.

OH, and Tom Poston's son on Mork and Mindy was played by a real blind actor, I believe.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by AmandaByNight »

Here I am posting again!

I have been dying to see this episode again, so I re-watched it last night. I really liked it. I think I hardly remembered it so it was a treat to see it. I liked the actress, thought the paintings were horrible, except one that was shot down at her house (!) but she was a strong, likable character.

I love how Higgins is so charmed by her when they are painting together. He has this laugh that feels a bit forced and felt flirtatious to me. Love it! And I love how everyone chips in to try and help her. Higgins in the Magnum garb was a hoot!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I love this episode, and it's one of my favorites of season 7! :)

The plot is awesome, with the deaf woman witnessing a murder, then Magnum having to protect her as the bad guys come after her.

Lots of action and shoot-outs too. But, I also love the scenes between the deaf girl and Magnum, and Higgins. Despite all the violence it was also a touching episode, and I enjoyed it!
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#36 Post by miltontheripper »

Agree with all of you out there who liked this one, a nice bounceback from LA. I thought it had a great plot. The killing in the beginning was surprisingly graphic for MPI but as I think about it Season Seven tended to have more of these harsher, darker episodes as a whole. The shootout at the end stood out to me as one of the best action sequenses of the series. Am I crazy or is the lady working at the art gallery the same acctress who played Cora, the assistant to the son/insurance salesman in episode three's Mr. White Death. I'm pretty sure its her!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#37 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

miltontheripper wrote:... is the lady working at the art gallery the same actress who played Cora, the assistant to the son/insurance salesman in ... Mr. White Death? ....
You must have a photographic memory, Milton! Yes, according to Internet Move Database, that's Linda Ryan in both episodes. She was also in "Jororo Farewell" and "The Big Blow." (Again, that's according to IMDb, not my own memory!)
Carol

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#38 Post by miltontheripper »

I thought so! I love spotting the recurring actors who play tiny bit roles and are used again and agin. Adds some good humor to the show. Thanks for doing some research.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#39 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

You're welcome!

By the way, if you'd like to look up anything yourself, IMDb is an excellent resource. Here's a link to their Advanced Search Page. You can use some of the advanced features -- or for simple searches, you can just use the regular little search box at the top of the page.

Two tips for using the search box:

1. If you're searching for something that's more than one word (such as the name of a person or a movie), put it in quotes. Otherwise, IMDb will give you (for example) all the people with that first name PLUS all the people with that last name. Your person will be in there somewhere, of course, but it's a lot easier to narrow it down to what you actually want in the first place.

2. You can specify whether you're looking for a person or a movie or a tv series or even a tv episode (which came in very handy this time), etc. That will also help narrow it down to what you're actually looking for.
Carol

scotty73
Captain

#40 Post by scotty73 »

Wow! Just watched this and it goes down as one of my faves of all time! I know that could be a big call but I really enjoyed it. Awesome action, pretty women & comedy - it had it all. Higgins was hilarious impersonating Magnum. I really liked the paintings too - makes me want to bust out the art supplies and do one myself! :D

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: One Picture is Worth (7.3)

#41 Post by marlboro »

This was an extremely good episode. Especially when you consider that it didn't revolve around Vietnam, the relationships among the 4 main characters, or an overly "gritty" plot. Just a solid, well written episode with a good story, nice action, and a dash of humor.

I think Stephanie Dunnam did a very good job playing her part; she and Selleck worked very well together.

SignGuyHPW
Admiral

#42 Post by SignGuyHPW »

This was a very strong episode. It was a little odd that the witness would refuse police protection, but accept private protection. Was there any real problems with the police in Hawaii at that point to where they wanted to reflect the lack of trust on the show? The other major thing that bothered me was that they said the killer had no previous record yet he had no issues going into a bank and killing four people in broad daylight? It was kind of funny to see Higgins' plan completely fall apart as Carol, Rick, and TC had already figured it all out ahead of him. I thought that the dramatic parts of the show were really well done. The shootout at the end was well played even if it wasn't explained why the girl was something of a weapons expert.

Tropical Madness
Ensign

#43 Post by Tropical Madness »

Hey all, I'm new here and this is my first post on the site. I've been lurking for a few years reading up on everything Magnum. I decided to join now that encore plays MPI every week day and also after visting my daughter on Oahu.

I enjoyed this episode very much. I thought it was well produced and had all the action scenes that we love from MPI. The one thing that doesn't work in this episode is during the final shootout, the villians are equiped with both handguns and rifles. The problem is, the rifles are all Ruger Model 77's with no sights. Both of the rifles shown have no open sights or a scope mounted on them. It would be very difficult to actually hit anything with those rifles - even at close range. This is a mjor flub.

Other than that, I enjoyed the scenes with Linda and Higgins painting on the back lawn of the estate. And of course "Higgy-baby" driving the Ferrari without the muffler and posing as TM was classic!

308GUY
Fleet Admiral

#44 Post by 308GUY »

Welcome TM......... :o ........just realized your initials are the same as....... :magnum: Cool!

I also laughed out loud at JQH impersonating TM...was quite funny to me.

Enjoyed the scene with them working on their paintings too.

Hadn't noticed the rifles that close, very astute observation!

Guess I'm the average audience that the series was aimed at who doesn't notice little things like that, but needless to say, I'm totally hooked on the show! :higgins:

Stick around, enjoy the site...JJ has done an amazing job with it's origin and maintenance.
"C'mon TC...nothing can go wrong!"

Croix de Lorraine
Admiral

#45 Post by Croix de Lorraine »

Two possible flubs:

1) Are deaf people allowed to drive?

2) Why would they broadcast the picture of a potentially protected witness on TV? And how did they get her picture in the first place?