1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 90

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

Re: One Picture is Worth (7.3)

#51 Post by MagnumILWU »

charybdis1966 wrote:I saw this episode recently and it was on a channel here in the UK where repeat programmes sometimes have a sign language interpreter super imposed on screen - coincidental given the guest lead. There was an odd portion when Linda was sign-ing to Higgy and the interpreter stopped moving his hands and there were no captions. I guess that proved the filmed sign language was authentic enough for it not to be "echoed" by the in screen interpreter, who bore an uncanny resemblance to Arsenal footballer Ray Parlour
The episode itself was thankfully not as predictable as some recent episodes I'd seen and you'd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh at Higgy's impersonation of TM, complete with moustachioed grin.
https://youtu.be/FmiuEwJUDR0 This is how we do it here!
Last edited by MagnumILWU on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"pickled egg please"

Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

#52 Post by Big Kahuna »

Did anyone else notice Carol Baldwin has a big rock on her ring finger..? I mean it could be one of those deterrent ring-type things, but still...
"I dunno. You have to get on a freeway, the M25 or something"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#53 Post by K Hale »

This is an excellent episode; I watched it last night!
AmandaByNight wrote:I liked the actress, thought the paintings were horrible, except one that was shot down at her house (!) but she was a strong, likable character.
Me too. For a 1980s show, MPI had a lot of strong female characters, though many of them were villains but what diff does that make? :P
I love how Higgins is so charmed by her when they are painting together. He has this laugh that feels a bit forced and felt flirtatious to me. Love it!
This was the sweetest. Yes he was 100% flirting with her with the double entendre native girl story which I don't really believe for a moment :roll: but was clearly intended to have two meanings, leaving it up to her to interpret his intent. I'd like to know what her sign language meant, but it seemed to indicate she understood the double meaning bc they shared a laugh. Then when he moved it into more personal territory and she got uncomfortable he immediately backed off and made as if he were just kidding and totally not coming on to her or anything. Very sweet, the dude does not get enough credit for sensitivity.
And I love how everyone chips in to try and help her. Higgins in the Magnum garb was a hoot!
The Magnum Walk makes me almost cry with laughter, the higher-pitched voice, the switch to words with fewer syllables, the "Hi guy!"... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

charybdis1966 wrote:I saw this episode recently and it was on a channel here in the UK where repeat programmes sometimes have a sign language interpreter super imposed on screen - coincidental given the guest lead. There was an odd portion when Linda was sign-ing to Higgy and the interpreter stopped moving his hands and there were no captions. I guess that proved the filmed sign language was authentic enough for it not to be "echoed" by the in screen interpreter, who bore an uncanny resemblance to Arsenal footballer Ray Parlour.
I'm no signing expert, but isn't British Sign Language largely different from American Sign Language? Maybe Linda was signing the British way or using the shared vocabulary between the two for Higgins there. :)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by K Hale »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:
charybdis1966 wrote:I saw this episode recently and it was on a channel here in the UK where repeat programmes sometimes have a sign language interpreter super imposed on screen - coincidental given the guest lead. There was an odd portion when Linda was sign-ing to Higgy and the interpreter stopped moving his hands and there were no captions. I guess that proved the filmed sign language was authentic enough for it not to be "echoed" by the in screen interpreter, who bore an uncanny resemblance to Arsenal footballer Ray Parlour.
I'm no signing expert, but isn't British Sign Language largely different from American Sign Language? Maybe Linda was signing the British way or using the shared vocabulary between the two for Higgins there. :)
Oh, I meant to post about this. I asked a few friends on Facebook to have a look and they had some difficulty but we were able to come to a consensus.

In the scene where Thomas and Linda walk in the house and Higgins is signing to Linda behind Magnum's back, my friends say Higgins was saying "No, he's visiting." (Magnum had implied the house was his.)

In the conversation between Linda and Higgins as they are painting, Higgins tells a story about spending two (or three?) weeks in the hut of a beautiful South Seas artist but being unable to master her technique. My friends said Linda signs a name, and then signs something about "person" and then "for one week." She may have been saying something about mastering the girl's technique in one week? Just some ideas. :P
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by K Hale »

Also, Stephanie Dunnam was delightful and all but did anyone else think she did not do a particularly good job of portraying a deaf person? IME deaf people do not have the same pitch and timbre of voice that hearing people do. There were also instances of her knowing what people were saying even if their mouths were not in her line of sight.

Contrast this with Mercedes McCambridge from "Don't Say Goodbye." If I didn't know better, I'd be convinced she really was blind. She did her homework and sold it.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

K Hale wrote:Also, Stephanie Dunnam was delightful and all but did anyone else think she did not do a particularly good job of portraying a deaf person? IME deaf people do not have the same pitch and timbre of voice that hearing people do. There were also instances of her knowing what people were saying even if their mouths were not in her line of sight.

Contrast this with Mercedes McCambridge from "Don't Say Goodbye." If I didn't know better, I'd be convinced she really was blind. She did her homework and sold it.
LOVE Mercedes as Agatha. Shame she only appeared once. :(

I wonder if Linda's voice and timbre would be affected by 1. Her losing her hearing as an adult as opposed to if she was younger or if 2. Stephanie Dunnam was directed to speak the way she did to lessen the need for ADR (looping) later. (Watching with headphones nowadays, ADR seems to be used quite often on Magnum, owing perhaps to outside weather, etc.). But that's my two cents.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by K Hale »

In my opinion, John Hillerman made a better Magnum than the new guy ever will.

https://vimeo.com/276740710
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#59 Post by brianw »

Good ep. The bank robbery scene was pretty surprising for MPI, but I do like the darker more violent episodes. I thought the main bad guy looked familiar. When I read that he has done some Eastwood films, I instantly remembered him as one of the Black Widows. Awesome.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#60 Post by brianw »

More trivia. Tim Rossovich's brother is Rick Rossovich (The Terminator; Top Gun; Roxanne). Roy Jenson's son is Sasha Jenson (Halloween 4; Dazed and Confused).

davko
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#61 Post by davko »

I am surprised nobody has mentioned this yet but when Magnum is running to the house, he is covered in sweat patches, on his armpits and his chest area. Never seen that before with TM, but I guess he usually wears lighter clothes like shorts and summer shirts instead of the heavy trousers and thick shirt he's wearing here.

It's quite funny because when he finally embraces the distraught girl with a hug, you're thinking "ew, her face is going right into those sweat patches" and she starts crying right at that moment.

Watch the scene again to see what I mean haha.

And yes agree the bank robbery scene is very brutal. I would've liked a bit more insight into why he went so mental, what his criminal colleagues thought of it, and a bit more dialogue from the main characters about the brutality of the murders. It reminded me of a Kurt Russell movie called DARK BLUE which had a similar scene, and the previous episode LA had that "fake" scene at the Hollywood movie set of innocent folks being mowed down by an uzi. All very disturbing.

p.s. I liked how Higgins even got the Magnum sunglasses cord for hanging them round his neck, he was just missing the memorial bracelet and the ring.

nha trang
Vice Admiral

#62 Post by nha trang »

I am surprised to see I never commented on this episode the first time I watched the series, probably because I really liked it and didn't have time to do it justice.

I rate it excellent at 9.0, it did have a barely noticeable sag to it but not bad and it checks every box, including comedy (Higgins expert impersonation of Magnum), beautiful (and talented actress) playing Linda, one of the top shootouts, interesting plot. Also of note is the strange (noir?) opening scene with contrast of classical music vs gratuitous violence (much like the previous scene in LA with the kid shooter mixed with stand up comedy scene).

One of my favorites I believe!

Nha Trang

Bes
Commander

#63 Post by Bes »

I consider this an excellent and rather underrated episode. It holds up well to repeat viewing too, unlike some (Going Home springs to mind).

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#64 Post by ENSHealy »

jetranger wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:20 am Hi all,

It may be a bit of a stretch to call it a plot hole but I found the conversation between Magnum and Carol at the estate starting at about 14:50 where they discuss that the shooter Wilkins "may suspect they have a witness", that "his attorneys are asking a lot of questions" and that this means Wilkins may be suspicious about the existence of a witness strange enough to be noticeable.

Wouldn't the fact that Wilkins had been previously picked out in a line up pretty much confirm there was a witness capable of identifying him?
Carol the Dabbler wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 pm Right on, jetranger! Same thing occurred to me when Hubby & I rewatched this episode last night. Like you, I wouldn't exactly call it a plot hole (since the DA's office was making an attempt to protect Linda in any case), but it sure does strike me as a real "Duh!" moment.
I believe it's possible they detained Wilkins without telling him what the evidence was against him (i.e. the lineup). I don't think they have to do that before the preliminary hearing? It would be logical for him to assume he'd been ID'd, but I doubt the police would have told him that. They said they picked him up a few blocks from the bank, he must have still had the gun on him, otherwise what basis would they have had to detain him...since all the witnesses we're dead. So there must have been other evidence against him as well. At any rate, I think it's conceivable that it wasn't a sure thing Wilkins had been advised there was a witness (until the leak from Carol's office).
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."

ENSHealy
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#65 Post by ENSHealy »

rubber chicken wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:04 am Since I haven't seen the episode recently all the way through, I'm not sure I know exactly what you're asking Carol. I looked through the episode quickly and heard the art dealer mention "Kiiana Point". There's no location that I can find on Oahu by that name, but there is Kaena Point at the northwest tip of the island.

And I'm assuming that you mean the house where Linda is at the end of the episode, where the shootout occurs. I haven't looked carefully for the location but I'm pretty sure it was right around here. This area is called Puaena Point.
The subtitles refer to it as Kaiina point. It must be a thinly disguised reference to Kaena Point, regardless of whether the actual shooting of the scene took place there.
Ensign Healy
Scholar in Residence
The Institute for Advanced Magnum Studies

"I woke up one day at 53 and realized I'd never been 23."