6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 90

Carmen
MPI

#16 Post by Carmen »

Does anybody know the name of the classical piece that is heard at the beginning of this episode? Composer?
I don`t know, that is one of those pieces everybody has heard sometimes and does not know it - unless it`s my friend Sigrid whom I`ll ask .
But, it sounds like Mozart to me.
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Carmen
MPI

#17 Post by Carmen »

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons - Spring
(you can listen to it on Youtube) :D

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks Carmen!

I feel like a fool for not knowing such a popular piece! My knowledge of classical music is woefully weak.
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Carmen
MPI

#19 Post by Carmen »

James - just like me. I had to ask my friend Sigrid and: She asked her little 6 year old girl to listen too - she also knew it :oops: :roll:

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#20 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

Although it sags a bit in the middle, this is a pretty good episode IMO.

[rating=8.5]

Carol asks Magnum to protect a deaf artist who was the only surviving witness of a violent armed bank robbery. But the culprit is determined to see that she never makes it to testify. A pretty decent episode…

-----

This review contains spoilers.

Well, after the shaky feature-length / two-part ‘L.A.’ at the top of the season, here we are back into the more familiar MPI fare.

This is the show’s obligatory ‘deaf’ episode – it seemed every popular action / investigation / whatever show in the 1970’s and 1980’s felt obliged to do at least one episode centring around a deaf or blind character.

The deaf Linda is well played by Stephanie Dunnam, and thankfully the character is not presented in a patronising or preachy manner (as was sometimes the case in other shows of the era that attempted such a story).

We also get some nice Higgins scenes, as he communicates in sign language behind Magnum’s back, and we even find that he is a keep amateur painter.

Sadly, after getting off to a promising start, the plot sags slightly in the middle, when Linda disappears, and the gang have to search for her. Here things descend into a more typical, generic hunt, which is a shame, as the story started off really well.

…But at least this does lead to one highlight scene where Higgins is forced to pose as Magnum – complete with cap and Hawaiian shirt. This is almost a precursor to the eighth season episode ‘Pleasure Principal’ – I wonder if this is where they got the idea?

Anyway, thankfully things pick up again in the final act, and the shootout at Linda’s remote hideaway is pretty good.

All-in-all, not perfect – the sag in the middle is its main flaw, but even so, a very good episode, and a sure sign that the show was picking up again around this point.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* The title of this episode is occasionally incorrectly billed as ‘A Picture is Worth…’

* When Linda pulls up outside the bank at the beginning, we hear her humming… - except that at several points she is seen to open her mouth, as if the tune she is humming was dubbed on in post-production.

* From this episode, Carol has a shorter haircut (that does not suit her so well IMO).

* The DVD version of this episode has all of the act breaks abridged.

* When Five broadcast this episode in 2003, they edited out shots at the climax of Linda making the petrol bombs. Things like this are sometimes edited if there are concerns that young viewers may try and copy it, but it is another of those things that seems to come down to whoever is editing that episode (see some of my previous reviews for more examples!). Either way, the petrol bombs that Magnum throws out of the windows appear out of nowhere in this version.

* Just a thought, but does anyone on the forums know sign language? I'd love to know the story that Higgins tells Linda.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

jetranger
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by jetranger »

Hi all,

It may be a bit of a stretch to call it a plot hole but I found the conversation between Magnum and Carol at the estate starting at about 14:50 where they discuss that the shooter Wilkins "may suspect they have a witness", that "his attorneys are asking a lot of questions" and that this means Wilkins may be suspicious about the existence of a witness strange enough to be noticeable.

Wouldn't the fact that Wilkins had been previously picked out in a line up pretty much confirm there was a witness capable of identifying him?

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Right on, jetranger! Same thing occurred to me when Hubby & I rewatched this episode last night. Like you, I wouldn't exactly call it a plot hole (since the DA's office was making an attempt to protect Linda in any case), but it sure does strike me as a real "Duh!" moment.
Carol

Carmen
MPI

#23 Post by Carmen »

Hey Carol!! Where have you been so long??

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Hey, Carmen! Long story -- let's just say I got distracted by life. Hubby & I just started Magnum's 7th season as our supper-time viewing, so I'll be dropping by from time to time. Thanks for the welcome-back!
Carol

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

I was wondering if the location given for Linda's house is a real place, and if so, whether those scenes were actually shot there -- rubber chicken?
Carol

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#26 Post by rubber chicken »

Since I haven't seen the episode recently all the way through, I'm not sure I know exactly what you're asking Carol. I looked through the episode quickly and heard the art dealer mention "Kiiana Point". There's no location that I can find on Oahu by that name, but there is Kaena Point at the northwest tip of the island.

And I'm assuming that you mean the house where Linda is at the end of the episode, where the shootout occurs. I haven't looked carefully for the location but I'm pretty sure it was right around here. This area is called Puaena Point.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Thanks, rc!

Right, Magnum, et al. ask the art dealer where Linda's pictures were painted, and she says Something-or-other Point, then Magnum and the bad guys all go there and find Linda's house. I'll have to have another look at those scenes and see if I can get any more details. Right now, I don't remember enough to even attempt matching up the location with your satellite view.
Last edited by Carol the Dabbler on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carol

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#28 Post by J.J. Walters »

Tom Lupo and Bob Minor!

Both are killed by Roy Jenson, a guy who played "bad guys" his whole career...

Clint Eastwood scrapped with him in numerous movies. Stuntman on Bonanza. Robert Mitchum's double. Chinatown henchman. Ex-Pro football player. WWII vet. He probably could have taken out Donald Gibb with one hand tied behind his back. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Tuan Vu
Captain

#29 Post by Tuan Vu »

I like this episode. It was so much better than the previous "LA" episode that was so below-average.

I like how Higgins tried to impersonate Magnum by wearing the Detroit Tigers cap (which must have been hard for him considering what he thinks of baseball), imitating Magnum's walk and then saying, "Hi, guy!" Very humorous!

There was a hint of a possble romance between Magnum and Linda. I think she would have been a better match with Magnum than Dana Delany's character in the previous "LA" episode.

cornell770
Ensign

Very good...

#30 Post by cornell770 »

Nice episode...Ms. Dunnam also guest starred in one of my favorite Murder, She Wrote episodes "Crossed Up". I'd like to have a copy of that pencil sketch of Magnum!