1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 90

jetranger
Lieutenant Junior Grade

#21 Post by jetranger »

Hi all,

It may be a bit of a stretch to call it a plot hole but I found the conversation between Magnum and Carol at the estate starting at about 14:50 where they discuss that the shooter Wilkins "may suspect they have a witness", that "his attorneys are asking a lot of questions" and that this means Wilkins may be suspicious about the existence of a witness strange enough to be noticeable.

Wouldn't the fact that Wilkins had been previously picked out in a line up pretty much confirm there was a witness capable of identifying him?

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#22 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Right on, jetranger! Same thing occurred to me when Hubby & I rewatched this episode last night. Like you, I wouldn't exactly call it a plot hole (since the DA's office was making an attempt to protect Linda in any case), but it sure does strike me as a real "Duh!" moment.
Carol

Carmen
MPI

#23 Post by Carmen »

Hey Carol!! Where have you been so long??
Sometimes I get so lucky, even I don`t believe it (TSM)

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Hey, Carmen! Long story -- let's just say I got distracted by life. Hubby & I just started Magnum's 7th season as our supper-time viewing, so I'll be dropping by from time to time. Thanks for the welcome-back!
Carol

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#25 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

I was wondering if the location given for Linda's house is a real place, and if so, whether those scenes were actually shot there -- rubber chicken?
Carol

rubber chicken
Master Location Sleuth

#26 Post by rubber chicken »

Since I haven't seen the episode recently all the way through, I'm not sure I know exactly what you're asking Carol. I looked through the episode quickly and heard the art dealer mention "Kiiana Point". There's no location that I can find on Oahu by that name, but there is Kaena Point at the northwest tip of the island.

And I'm assuming that you mean the house where Linda is at the end of the episode, where the shootout occurs. I haven't looked carefully for the location but I'm pretty sure it was right around here. This area is called Puaena Point.

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#27 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

Thanks, rc!

Right, Magnum, et al. ask the art dealer where Linda's pictures were painted, and she says Something-or-other Point, then Magnum and the bad guys all go there and find Linda's house. I'll have to have another look at those scenes and see if I can get any more details. Right now, I don't remember enough to even attempt matching up the location with your satellite view.
Last edited by Carol the Dabbler on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carol

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#28 Post by J.J. Walters »

Tom Lupo and Bob Minor!

Both are killed by Roy Jenson, a guy who played "bad guys" his whole career...

Clint Eastwood scrapped with him in numerous movies. Stuntman on Bonanza. Robert Mitchum's double. Chinatown henchman. Ex-Pro football player. WWII vet. He probably could have taken out Donald Gibb with one hand tied behind his back. ;)
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

Tuan Vu
Captain

#29 Post by Tuan Vu »

I like this episode. It was so much better than the previous "LA" episode that was so below-average.

I like how Higgins tried to impersonate Magnum by wearing the Detroit Tigers cap (which must have been hard for him considering what he thinks of baseball), imitating Magnum's walk and then saying, "Hi, guy!" Very humorous!

There was a hint of a possble romance between Magnum and Linda. I think she would have been a better match with Magnum than Dana Delany's character in the previous "LA" episode.

cornell770
Ensign

Very good...

#30 Post by cornell770 »

Nice episode...Ms. Dunnam also guest starred in one of my favorite Murder, She Wrote episodes "Crossed Up". I'd like to have a copy of that pencil sketch of Magnum!

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by AmandaByNight »

I've been wanting to see this one again. It's been forever. I remember liking it. There is also a deaf girl episode of Buck Rogers, Love Boat and Hardy Boys. In the Hardy Boys the woman reads someone's lips and realizes they are planning to kill someone. The deaf character in a storyline was pretty big back in the day!

Carol the Dabbler
Fleet Admiral

#32 Post by Carol the Dabbler »

There was also a deaf female guest character in an episode of Sugarfoot, where Jack Elam's recurring character, "Toothy" Thompson, conversed with her in sign language. Why is it always a deaf woman in movies & tv? Aren't there any deaf men in this world? (I'm thinking perhaps "they" consider it more dramatically acceptable for a female character to have a weakness, to need help.

Oddly, though, the numbers seem to be a bit more even with blind characters. I'm thinking of blind women in Little House on the Prairie, Rockford, and Wait Until Dark. But Little House also had a blind man, and so did Matlock. And what about Longstreet himself?
Carol

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#33 Post by AmandaByNight »

Carol the Dabbler wrote:There was also a deaf female guest character in an episode of Sugarfoot, where Jack Elam's recurring character, "Toothy" Thompson, conversed with her in sign language. Why is it always a deaf woman in movies & tv? Aren't there any deaf men in this world? (I'm thinking perhaps "they" consider it more dramatically acceptable for a female character to have a weakness, to need help.

Oddly, though, the numbers seem to be a bit more even with blind characters. I'm thinking of blind women in Little House on the Prairie, Rockford, and Wait Until Dark. But Little House also had a blind man, and so did Matlock. And what about Longstreet himself?
I am ashamed to admit that I've never seen Longstreet! I need to fix that.

It is interesting, you don't seem to see as much in the way of blind or deaf characters in episodic television these days. Maybe they think it's not PC?

I think it's interesting what you pointed out about women tending to play the deaf character. On Buck Rogers and Love Boat is was the same actress, who was actually deaf (don't quote me on that, but I'm sure I looked her up). I think you're right, they play into the stereotypical victim role.

There was also the blind assistant (male) in the pilot movie Sweet, Sweet Rachel. It never went to series, but it's a fantastically eerie movie. He's the only other one I can think of off hand.

OH, and Tom Poston's son on Mork and Mindy was played by a real blind actor, I believe.

AmandaByNight
Fleet Admiral

#34 Post by AmandaByNight »

Here I am posting again!

I have been dying to see this episode again, so I re-watched it last night. I really liked it. I think I hardly remembered it so it was a treat to see it. I liked the actress, thought the paintings were horrible, except one that was shot down at her house (!) but she was a strong, likable character.

I love how Higgins is so charmed by her when they are painting together. He has this laugh that feels a bit forced and felt flirtatious to me. Love it! And I love how everyone chips in to try and help her. Higgins in the Magnum garb was a hoot!

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#35 Post by MaiTaiMan »

I love this episode, and it's one of my favorites of season 7! :)

The plot is awesome, with the deaf woman witnessing a murder, then Magnum having to protect her as the bad guys come after her.

Lots of action and shoot-outs too. But, I also love the scenes between the deaf girl and Magnum, and Higgins. Despite all the violence it was also a touching episode, and I enjoyed it!
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"