1%

Total votes: 90

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

Re: One Picture is Worth (7.3)

#46 Post by marlboro »

Croix de Lorraine wrote:Two possible flubs:

1) Are deaf people allowed to drive?

2) Why would they broadcast the picture of a potentially protected witness on TV? And how did they get her picture in the first place?
1) Absolutely. They aren't the best drivers, but they are fantastic at making rude hand gestures.

2) I blame this guy:

Doc Ibold
Maniac Emeritus

#47 Post by Doc Ibold »

marlboro wrote:
Croix de Lorraine wrote:Two possible flubs:

1) Are deaf people allowed to drive?

2) Why would they broadcast the picture of a potentially protected witness on TV? And how did they get her picture in the first place?
1) Absolutely. They aren't the best drivers, but they are fantastic at making rude hand gestures.

2) I blame this guy:

Ha! Love it!

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

#48 Post by Milton Collins »

Jeff Spangler ha ha ha ha, I hate that guy! For me this is a good solid episode and gave it an 8. I just think season 7 is very very good. There is still some focus on Viet Nam and the military but there are also some completely unrelated very gritty crime episodes too. Some highlights:

- I thought the Linda Andrews character was very well played and also was an interesting character. She was attractive and very likable and was obviously romtically interested in Magnum. They had a good chemistry as well, I think they could've played up a love interest in this one!

- the biggining "blows me away" (sorry I had to throw that terrible pun in there lol). In all seriousness, I find the bank robbery shooting scene to be shockingly brutal for a show in the late 80's. And what would make a middle aged guy with no criminal record snap like that? I mean robbery is one thing but going in undisguised he clearly had plans to kill all the witnesses, what a nut job!

- Higgins impersonation of Magnum was outstanding! The outift, the impersonation of Magnums walk, the "hi guy", and the cheesy grin, this was just fantastic! A great Higgins moment.

- that shootout at the end was great. It was nice to see Linda actually be smart and helpful in making the moltav cocktails rather than just being useless cowering in the corner as some females (or males:)) would have, and she saved magnum at the end with her shooting abilities. Loved that! Overall that was a great five to ten minute action scene and was vey realistic and well done!

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#49 Post by MagnumILWU »

Just watching this episode on Encore channel. Higgins as Magnum always makes me laugh!
"pickled egg please"

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#50 Post by charybdis1966 »

I saw this episode recently and it was on a channel here in the UK where repeat programmes sometimes have a sign language interpreter super imposed on screen - coincidental given the guest lead. There was an odd portion when Linda was sign-ing to Higgy and the interpreter stopped moving his hands and there were no captions. I guess that proved the filmed sign language was authentic enough for it not to be "echoed" by the in screen interpreter, who bore an uncanny resemblance to Arsenal footballer Ray Parlour
The episode itself was thankfully not as predictable as some recent episodes I'd seen and you'd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh at Higgy's impersonation of TM, complete with moustachioed grin.

MagnumILWU
Fleet Admiral

#51 Post by MagnumILWU »

charybdis1966 wrote:I saw this episode recently and it was on a channel here in the UK where repeat programmes sometimes have a sign language interpreter super imposed on screen - coincidental given the guest lead. There was an odd portion when Linda was sign-ing to Higgy and the interpreter stopped moving his hands and there were no captions. I guess that proved the filmed sign language was authentic enough for it not to be "echoed" by the in screen interpreter, who bore an uncanny resemblance to Arsenal footballer Ray Parlour
The episode itself was thankfully not as predictable as some recent episodes I'd seen and you'd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh at Higgy's impersonation of TM, complete with moustachioed grin.
https://youtu.be/FmiuEwJUDR0 This is how we do it here!
Last edited by MagnumILWU on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"pickled egg please"

Big Kahuna
Lieutenant

#52 Post by Big Kahuna »

Did anyone else notice Carol Baldwin has a big rock on her ring finger..? I mean it could be one of those deterrent ring-type things, but still...
"I dunno. You have to get on a freeway, the M25 or something"

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#53 Post by K Hale »

This is an excellent episode; I watched it last night!
AmandaByNight wrote:I liked the actress, thought the paintings were horrible, except one that was shot down at her house (!) but she was a strong, likable character.
Me too. For a 1980s show, MPI had a lot of strong female characters, though many of them were villains but what diff does that make? :P
I love how Higgins is so charmed by her when they are painting together. He has this laugh that feels a bit forced and felt flirtatious to me. Love it!
This was the sweetest. Yes he was 100% flirting with her with the double entendre native girl story which I don't really believe for a moment :roll: but was clearly intended to have two meanings, leaving it up to her to interpret his intent. I'd like to know what her sign language meant, but it seemed to indicate she understood the double meaning bc they shared a laugh. Then when he moved it into more personal territory and she got uncomfortable he immediately backed off and made as if he were just kidding and totally not coming on to her or anything. Very sweet, the dude does not get enough credit for sensitivity.
And I love how everyone chips in to try and help her. Higgins in the Magnum garb was a hoot!
The Magnum Walk makes me almost cry with laughter, the higher-pitched voice, the switch to words with fewer syllables, the "Hi guy!"... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't realize you were so addicted to pool.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#54 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

charybdis1966 wrote:I saw this episode recently and it was on a channel here in the UK where repeat programmes sometimes have a sign language interpreter super imposed on screen - coincidental given the guest lead. There was an odd portion when Linda was sign-ing to Higgy and the interpreter stopped moving his hands and there were no captions. I guess that proved the filmed sign language was authentic enough for it not to be "echoed" by the in screen interpreter, who bore an uncanny resemblance to Arsenal footballer Ray Parlour.
I'm no signing expert, but isn't British Sign Language largely different from American Sign Language? Maybe Linda was signing the British way or using the shared vocabulary between the two for Higgins there. :)

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#55 Post by K Hale »

thechickinthemiddle wrote:
charybdis1966 wrote:I saw this episode recently and it was on a channel here in the UK where repeat programmes sometimes have a sign language interpreter super imposed on screen - coincidental given the guest lead. There was an odd portion when Linda was sign-ing to Higgy and the interpreter stopped moving his hands and there were no captions. I guess that proved the filmed sign language was authentic enough for it not to be "echoed" by the in screen interpreter, who bore an uncanny resemblance to Arsenal footballer Ray Parlour.
I'm no signing expert, but isn't British Sign Language largely different from American Sign Language? Maybe Linda was signing the British way or using the shared vocabulary between the two for Higgins there. :)
Oh, I meant to post about this. I asked a few friends on Facebook to have a look and they had some difficulty but we were able to come to a consensus.

In the scene where Thomas and Linda walk in the house and Higgins is signing to Linda behind Magnum's back, my friends say Higgins was saying "No, he's visiting." (Magnum had implied the house was his.)

In the conversation between Linda and Higgins as they are painting, Higgins tells a story about spending two (or three?) weeks in the hut of a beautiful South Seas artist but being unable to master her technique. My friends said Linda signs a name, and then signs something about "person" and then "for one week." She may have been saying something about mastering the girl's technique in one week? Just some ideas. :P
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#56 Post by K Hale »

Also, Stephanie Dunnam was delightful and all but did anyone else think she did not do a particularly good job of portraying a deaf person? IME deaf people do not have the same pitch and timbre of voice that hearing people do. There were also instances of her knowing what people were saying even if their mouths were not in her line of sight.

Contrast this with Mercedes McCambridge from "Don't Say Goodbye." If I didn't know better, I'd be convinced she really was blind. She did her homework and sold it.
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

thechickinthemiddle
Fleet Admiral

#57 Post by thechickinthemiddle »

K Hale wrote:Also, Stephanie Dunnam was delightful and all but did anyone else think she did not do a particularly good job of portraying a deaf person? IME deaf people do not have the same pitch and timbre of voice that hearing people do. There were also instances of her knowing what people were saying even if their mouths were not in her line of sight.

Contrast this with Mercedes McCambridge from "Don't Say Goodbye." If I didn't know better, I'd be convinced she really was blind. She did her homework and sold it.
LOVE Mercedes as Agatha. Shame she only appeared once. :(

I wonder if Linda's voice and timbre would be affected by 1. Her losing her hearing as an adult as opposed to if she was younger or if 2. Stephanie Dunnam was directed to speak the way she did to lessen the need for ADR (looping) later. (Watching with headphones nowadays, ADR seems to be used quite often on Magnum, owing perhaps to outside weather, etc.). But that's my two cents.

K Hale
Fleet Admiral

#58 Post by K Hale »

In my opinion, John Hillerman made a better Magnum than the new guy ever will.

https://vimeo.com/276740710
It's not pool.
Billiards.
Snooker!
Snucker.
SNOOKER!

brianw
Rear Admiral

#59 Post by brianw »

Good ep. The bank robbery scene was pretty surprising for MPI, but I do like the darker more violent episodes. I thought the main bad guy looked familiar. When I read that he has done some Eastwood films, I instantly remembered him as one of the Black Widows. Awesome.

brianw
Rear Admiral

#60 Post by brianw »

More trivia. Tim Rossovich's brother is Rick Rossovich (The Terminator; Top Gun; Roxanne). Roy Jenson's son is Sasha Jenson (Halloween 4; Dazed and Confused).