1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 69

brunoffrance
Captain

The french touch....

#21 Post by brunoffrance »

What a bad end for Jean Claude Fournier.... his career in the serie seems to be finished with only a bit poison in the food... He is dead and that all... no trying to survive, no hospital, no last souvenirs.... Just that !
Curiously, the scenario is too much simple for a death.... may be, one more time, a sort of french touch playing by jc Fournier to say "bye".

One of my best episode; lot of laughs specialy the trophy destruction... I think that many of you could predict that someone 'ld open the door just behind TM and his trophy.....
Very american 4 a french...

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: The french touch....

#22 Post by Styles Bitchley »

brunoffrance wrote:Curiously, the scenario is too much simple for a death.... may be, one more time, a sort of french touch playing by jc Fournier to say "bye".
Quite right Bruno. Seems to be such a quick death for a man so famed for his crime fighting skills.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

JT
Captain

#23 Post by JT »

Hi Bruno, Jean Claude Fournier was in the next episode, AAPI.
I agree with you it's a shame he had to go this way, without a fight.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Not really one of my favorites...a little to silly and ridiculous for me. :? I'm also not a fan of Candy Clark--to ditzy and goof-ball. She would drive me nuts if I was Magnum--I'd sick Zeus and Apollo on her. :P
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by miltontheripper »

N1095A wrote:
Italian Ice wrote:Just watched this episode for the first time, never saw this one before. A solid episode.

I was wondering though. The Island Breeze Warehouse? Was that the same warehouse used in Limbo and Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts? It looks the same to me the way the boxes and lumber are laid out.......
It definately is the same warehoouse Rose and his goon women used in "Legacy From A friend".

I instantly noticed that this warehouse was used in "Legacy from a friend" as well. I like this episode. I think Leslie is a fun albeit ridiculous recurring character and wouldn't have minded another episode with her (not to mention the hot women at the Island Breeze carpet cleaner's lol!) The barfight in the beginning was FANTASTIC! TC in spandex and a running jump kick, loved it! Overall a very entertaining and fun episode.

Doc Fred
Admiral

Re: Straight and Narrow (7.4)

#26 Post by Doc Fred »

I liked Candy Clark in this one... and her sister, who played a great part in being exactly like Candy...

The pimp was "the big flynn"... I wonder if the name was used in reference to the Flynn who was on the production staff.

Yeah, had to laugh when Magnum got punched in the area of his left eye and the right eye was the one the made black with the makeup.... A flub?... or maybe the production having fun ???

When Magnum, TC and Rick are walking at the KKC, you can see how Tom Selleck towers over both Roger and Larry. He's a legit 6'4, but Roger is no way 6'2 as it says on the net... maybe, MAYBE 6' at most... he always seems to wear shoes with big heels. And Larry?... he was wearing sneakers with considerable lifts in them in that scene, and he was still close to a foot shorter than Tom....
Woof, woof... thirty years uglier!... woof, woof...

Dave Anderson
Rear Admiral

#27 Post by Dave Anderson »

This may not be very nice to say, but this episode would have been much better with a more attractive woman playing the prostitute. I know not all prostitutes are great looking, but I think they would need to be a little more attractive than this lady to make a living at it. Maybe she's got some hidden talents or something though. :lol:

marlboro
Baron Of GIFs

#28 Post by marlboro »

I don't find her unattractive - other than her 80's hairstyle, but I think she was miscast. She should have been played by someone sexy or trashy. Or both.

80s scream queen, Linnea Quigley, would have been perfect for this type of character. Funny, sexy,and a little trashy. Good looking without looking like a super model.

Milton Collins
Fleet Admiral

Re:

#29 Post by Milton Collins »

[quote="Styles Bitchley
Overall, the episode comes together well, but something about it makes it blend into the woodwork. You can always tell this easily forgotten episodes by the number of comments in the forum. I wonder which episode has the least number of comments. Probably the one that makes you say "oh yeah, I forgot about that one!"[/quote]

Very true!! That's what I love about Magnum, we all have our favorite 10 or 20 that we just love and continuasly go to but then you stumble accross one like this that you totally forget about and it's really good!! Thank goodness we had 8 long seasons lol.

I had not seen this one in quite some time and I like it and gave it an 8.5. A few highlights:

Candy Clark - I might be in the minority but I really enjoy Candy Clark and the Leslie character. Her and TM have a fun chemistry and I think she's attractive in a different kind of way than some of the "Babes of Magnum". I think it's mostly her personality which I found fun and honestly would have liked to have seen her in another episode or two. Her sister was very easy on the eyes and was pretty funny in her small role. I can't remember, is she listed on the page of Hawiian Peaches?

The Island Breeze Girls - Wow, especially the blonde who talks to Thomas outside the store!!

The Beach Bar Fight - Ok, this is nothing short of hilarious. Part of what makes TM so likable in my opinion is the way that Selleck played him, meaning he wasn't some unrealistically invinceable guy. He's intervening trying to stand up to the jerk who's harrassing his friend Leslie and gets punched out. Yes it was a sucker punch out of the blue but still, he didn't unrealistically dodge the punch and just destroy the guy like many shows would have done, he got knocked out lol. He wasn't portrayed as infallable, I like that, it makes him so much more real. And TC's workout clad running drop kick was fantastic, loved it! Not to mention how Rick charged out and had to team up with Leslie to take down the other guy, hilarious!!

The unfortunate walking stick incident - Seeing TM hobbling around with this thing was awesome! Not to mention the fight at Island Breeze where he uses it as a weapon and breaks it on the dude's head lol! I enjoyed the scene when he is going to return it and Higgins unexpectedly walked in to see him "lounging" on his desk, followed by the attempt to ask for advice only so he could back pedal far enough to replace the walking stick and escape, that's vintage Magnum!

Anyway, this one had slipped my mind for awhile and I'm glad I watched it again. I'm surprised how many negative posts I see regarding season 7. Again I'm in the minortiy but I think it is filled with a couple great and several very good episodes. Just my humble opinion:)

charybdis1966
Fleet Admiral

#30 Post by charybdis1966 »

After a long hiatus from watching MPI due to be thinking the channel showing it here in the uk, itv4, only had the first 4 seasons I was pleasantly surprised to see this pop up.

While the overall story wasn't anything special I did appreciate the likeable character touches here and there and to actually see Rick last more than one punch in a brawl was something new.

KingKC
Fleet Admiral

#31 Post by KingKC »

Candy Clark/Leslie Emory sure could be annoying but for some reason I liked her. She could have been written in more often as far as I was concerned. She and Cleo/Phyllis were more of the supporting cast that made MPI what it was. Enjoyable and memorable!!!

KingKC

HTWoodson
Ensign

#32 Post by HTWoodson »

I really didn't like this episode. All the bickering and shouting, there was too much of it, and Magnum is a jerk in many scenes for no reason.

Nifty911
Captain

#33 Post by Nifty911 »

I started watching every episode again, in order and have noticed some "things" I never saw before.

So Magnum sprains his right foot, but can't use the clutch? (Only the clutch in cars is used with the left foot).

☨magnum.t
Admiral

#34 Post by ☨magnum.t »

The difficulty would be releasing the clutch and pushing the throttle at the same time. either foot would present a problem. I hate driving my MR2 after leg day at the gym because I'm afraid I'll pop the clutch on a hill lol.
That reminds me of the time....

Steve-O
Commander

#35 Post by Steve-O »

Had a re-look (pursuant to The Hotel Dick) at Straight and Narrow tonight. I enjoyed the episode for the several reasons mentioned above.
I think two episodes with Candy Clark were just about right-- a third might have a bit over the top in my opinion.

I like to imagine somewhere down the road that Higgins finds the broken antique walking stick. I have a few visions of how his face might have
looked: Eyebrows slowly furl and mouth starting to distort; eyebrows slowly raise with the look of frustrating resignation. I also see Higgins using
the stick at some point when it all too easily breaks. In all instances he immediately of course suspects Thomas.

I love the moments of distraction on Magnum's face as he is noticing the landscape at the back of the Island Breeze van, just outside their store.
Then his expression when he notices Leslie noticing him noticing the girl! And Leslie's expression as well! :roll: :)

This time, Fig Newtons with a "Beer".