6.0 (Pretty Bad)
1%
5.0 (Just Awful)
1%

Total votes: 69

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#11 Post by J.J. Walters »

Thanks Herman! I totally missed this one. This must be Higgins' idea of a vacation. A little R&R on Lizard Island! :shock:
Higgins: It's not a scratch! It's a bloody gouge!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#12 Post by J.J. Walters »

Higgins talks about the time when Magnum "unleashed a python" at a Robin Masters dinner party in an attempt to cause an unnamed female guest to faint. It worked. :shock:

Man, I would love to hear the full story behind that one! Makes for a great fan fiction premise.

MyGod!
Lieutenant Commander

#13 Post by MyGod! »

Good episode! Did anyone notice the very, very attractive African-American "rug cleaner" in the scene where TM goes into the business? Wow!! TM certainly notices her.
I must admit, Leslie is perhaps my least favorite recurring character on the show. Her voice is grating, poor acting, and while her clothes have archaelogical merit due to their 80's ridiculousness, they are so bad! Check out her earrings!
Ohterwise, great show.

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#14 Post by Italian Ice »

Just watched this episode for the first time, never saw this one before. A solid episode.

I was wondering though. The Island Breeze Warehouse? Was that the same warehouse used in Limbo and Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts? It looks the same to me the way the boxes and lumber are laid out.......
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

Italian Ice
Ahi Sushi & Old Dusseldorf Connoisseur

#15 Post by Italian Ice »

It's also the walls, but there is a lot more clutter and I don't see an office upstairs. But the sliding doors look exactly the same as well as the brick walls in between with the markings etc.
Higgins: " Dispatch the pig!!! "

N1095A
World Class Private Investigator

#16 Post by N1095A »

Italian Ice wrote:Just watched this episode for the first time, never saw this one before. A solid episode.

I was wondering though. The Island Breeze Warehouse? Was that the same warehouse used in Limbo and Infinity and Jelly Doughnuts? It looks the same to me the way the boxes and lumber are laid out.......
It definately is the same warehoouse Rose and his goon women used in "Legacy From A friend".
"But Higgins, I can explain."

Jay-Firestorm
Fleet Admiral

#17 Post by Jay-Firestorm »

A new week, a new batch of reviews. This episode is okay, but like MyGod!, Leslie is one of my lesser favourite recurring characters, I find her hard to warm to. She is slightly better here, though.

[rating=8.0]

Thomas injures his ankle while training for an upcoming charity relay race, and things get even worse when he is reunited with former hooker Leslie, who asks him to find her missing sister. But as always with Leslie, things are far from simple. A reasonable ep…

-----

‘Straight and Narrow’ sees Magnum reunited with former prostitute Leslie Emory (Cindy Clark), first seen in the sixth season episode ‘The Hotel Dick’. Her ‘act’ is pretty much the same as the first time we saw her – well meaning, but “act now, think later”, causing Magnum much bother.

Leslie seems to split ‘Magnum, p.i.’ fans – some love her and find her very amusing, whereas others, such as myself, consider her one of our least favourite recurring characters. That said, I could manage her appearance her in this episode much more than I could in ‘The Hotel Dick’.

Phyllis Davis, also from ‘The Hotel Dick’, also returns as Cleo Mitchell. She will play a more key role towards the end of the series, when Rick (possibly) gets married to her.

I find the plot itself of ‘Straight and Narrow’ to be a rather so-so one, but what saves it (as is the case with a number of ‘Magnum, p.i.’ episodes), is many of the nice little touches and moments. There are several good moments deriving from Magnum’s injured ankle, and several of the scenes in Higgins’ study – such as Magnum trying to return Robin Masters’ antique walking stuck, which has been snapped in a brawl – are very well played.

I haven’t got much more to say on this one really. Although fair, it is probably one of my lesser favourites from season seven, but at the same time, it is reasonable in it’s own right – far superior to some of the offerings that we saw in the fifth season.

-----

Other notes, bloopers and misc.:

* Other than my old bugbear of the DVD version having the act breaks abridged, nothing else to note on this episode.
JAY FIRESTORM

Facebook: Jay Gathergood / Twitter: Jay_Firestorm NEW BLOG: http://thea-teamcaptured.blogspot.com/

My A-Team site - http://thea-team.org aiming to be the most detailed A-Team site on the Net - if I ever get around to updating it!!

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#18 Post by J.J. Walters »

MyGod! wrote:Good episode! Did anyone notice the very, very attractive African-American "rug cleaner" in the scene where TM goes into the business?
I did! :)

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

#19 Post by Styles Bitchley »

IslandHopper wrote:While training for the relay race, Magnum, sprains his right ankle. After the brawl at the KKC, Leslie drives Magnum home in the Ferrari because, as she said while in the guest house that, Magnum couldn’t drive because he couldn’t work the clutch. Leslie then drives Magnum to Cleo’s because of his severely sprained right ankle. Magnum later tells Leslie to take the Ferrari (to work) and he will take the Audi because it is an automatic (no clutch). The flub is the fact that Magnum sprained his right ankle, not his left, so why would he have a problem working the clutch if his left ankle is not the injured ankle? You use your left foot on the clutch, not your right foot. :?
I noticed this too, but in the end I don't think it's a flub. Although you use your left foot for the clutch, I think the most significant point is that he only has one foot he can use and he needs two. I remember having to drive an automatic with my left foot once...not as easy as one might think!

I think this is a pretty good episode with some great Magnum/Higgins back and forth. Candy can be annoying, but I think that's her charm. I love the hot and ditzy character she played in American Graffiti, so I don't mind her in these episodes.

Overall, the episode comes together well, but something about it makes it blend into the woodwork. You can always tell this easily forgotten episodes by the number of comments in the forum. I wonder which episode has the least number of comments. Probably the one that makes you say "oh yeah, I forgot about that one!"
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

J.J. Walters
Founding Father

#20 Post by J.J. Walters »

I totally agree Styles! This episode has all kinds of things going for it: Candy Clark, Phyllis Davis, the "Most Interesting Man in the World", Beach Bar fight, Cleo's card, Fig Newtons, the Get Wet cap, the Island Breeze ladies, Higgins' story about Lizard Island. Just a really enjoyable episode! :)

brunoffrance
Captain

The french touch....

#21 Post by brunoffrance »

What a bad end for Jean Claude Fournier.... his career in the serie seems to be finished with only a bit poison in the food... He is dead and that all... no trying to survive, no hospital, no last souvenirs.... Just that !
Curiously, the scenario is too much simple for a death.... may be, one more time, a sort of french touch playing by jc Fournier to say "bye".

One of my best episode; lot of laughs specialy the trophy destruction... I think that many of you could predict that someone 'ld open the door just behind TM and his trophy.....
Very american 4 a french...

Styles Bitchley
Magnum Wristwatch Aficionado / Deputy SpamHammer

Re: The french touch....

#22 Post by Styles Bitchley »

brunoffrance wrote:Curiously, the scenario is too much simple for a death.... may be, one more time, a sort of french touch playing by jc Fournier to say "bye".
Quite right Bruno. Seems to be such a quick death for a man so famed for his crime fighting skills.
"How fiendishly deceptive of you Magnum. I could have sworn I was hearing the emasculation of a large rodent."

- J.Q.H.

JT
Captain

#23 Post by JT »

Hi Bruno, Jean Claude Fournier was in the next episode, AAPI.
I agree with you it's a shame he had to go this way, without a fight.

MaiTaiMan
Fleet Admiral

#24 Post by MaiTaiMan »

Not really one of my favorites...a little to silly and ridiculous for me. :? I'm also not a fan of Candy Clark--to ditzy and goof-ball. She would drive me nuts if I was Magnum--I'd sick Zeus and Apollo on her. :P
"It was more ironic than a Robin Masters novel--she thought he was dead, he thought she was dead...and only the chauffeur knew the truth! He should have been the butler!" "Lest We Forget"

miltontheripper
Vice Admiral

#25 Post by miltontheripper »

N1095A wrote:
Italian Ice wrote:Just watched this episode for the first time, never saw this one before. A solid episode.

It definately is the same warehoouse Rose and his goon women used in "Legacy From A friend".

I instantly noticed that this warehouse was used in "Legacy from a friend" as well. I like this episode. I think Leslie is a fun albeit ridiculous recurring character and wouldn't have minded another episode with her (not to mention the hot women at the Island Breeze carpet cleaner's lol!) The barfight in the beginning was FANTASTIC! TC in spandex and a running jump kick, loved it! Overall a very entertaining and fun episode.